Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swings, See-saws, Roundabouts, Up, Down Turnaround pick a bail of cotton

Options
  • 29-04-2004 9:29am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did I ever tell you I hate this game - my own game was suffering despite a 3rd place last time out. I need a confidence boosting session.

Last night at the Fitz was a crowded affair. The €20 rebuy had a lot of action and with €500 added to the prize pot there was good cause. All in all I think well over 50 sat down at some stage during the night to play. It was well past 12am and there were still 3 very full tables.

Myself and Lafortezza were drawn next to each other and apart from about 30mins we stayed at the same table for the whole night.

Early on he was hitting the cards and amassing a good stack - his QQ being to aggressive for my AJ in the very first hand. Our table was really very freaky. Every flop seemed to contain an 8 and for the first 2-3 hours I cant remember one high flop, just all rags with guys holding 85, 92 etc getting boats and sets all night. It got to the stage that if you were holding an 8 you thought you had the nuts pre-flop - madness.

After a few near misses - my 10's finding JJ's etc - I began to build up my stack and the final 3 hands before the top up gave me AK twice and I doubled through twice. Lafortezza was also going well.

Straight into the freeze-out and a new dealer and I didn't see any type of hand - Lafortezza had some big pots and was cruising while my stack just seemed to get smaller. Then I had some luck - I was moved. MOved from the BB on my table to the button on another - first part of the luck.

Then had two crazy hands in succession. Table is down to 6 - other has 7. I get A3s - I have about 10k. I raise - BB goes allin for 15k etc - he has KK - I get a 5 high straight. Happy days - but he isn't happy. Then I get AJ - I raise - another guy goes allin for 20k - I call - he has A6 - happy days again.

A few minutes later other table goes to 4 - we're down to 9 and the fina l table. Lafortezza comes over and joins me. My mate Gavin who came in with me also is still alive. I draw seat 7, Gavin 8 and Lafortezza 9. Before the blinds reach us there are 2 gone - down to 7. First 5 get paid. I am joint first chip leader with Lafortezza and Gavin close behind.

Gavin gets AA and were down to 6. I get AJ - player to my right (same guy who I out drew his K's earlier) goes allin - I call - he has J6 - flop gives me a poker of A's. We're down to 5. In the money woot.

Shortly after we're down to four and I'm still in and around 1st or 2nd. Then for the next what seemed like an eternity we steal, beg, borrow the chips off each other - I did get AA at one stage and went into a good lead but then my ATh didn't stand up against Gavin's QJ and we were back to even - swings and roundabouts.

Myself Gavin and Lafortezza eventually - at 3am - convinced the other guy to do a deal and we all walked with €750 and a big smile on our faces.

God - I always said this game was great. it was also great for boards.ie guys to start to build up presence of numbers at the final table.

Hyzepher

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well done lads. As for myself. Played very badly and got what I deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Well done lads, I had a feeling you'd both hit the money there was that stinky smell of cash from the both of you. I went out 11th myself, I think that's the third time going out two places before the final table in a cash tournament in the Fitz. I had 10k going into the freezeout but unfortunately came back after the break with a case of the stupids by the time I'd shaken it off I was down to 5K, played well after that and spent the rest of the night seesawing between 15k and 10k but just couldn't catch anything to bring me up to comfort.

I was irritated with how I went though I just wasn't thinking properly. I had Vivian directly to my left for all the second last table and he stole my blinds for most of it when I had absolutely nothing to call him his all ins were called a couple of times and he showed weak cards but survived so I was determined to call him when I had something. He was in big I was in small and there was one caller in middle position, I have K10 of diamonds and flat call.

He goes all in over the top and middle position folds, I almost called instantly before I notice that the middle position player had Vivian covered I know that unlike me Vivian would have noticed this and so therefore must have something. But I still call! I was very shortstacked and there was good value going but a better player would have waited for a free round of cards and a better opportunity. He shows AQ and hits about 45 queens on the flop, goodnight mu-cha-chos, another lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Up at half six this morning, 3 hours sleep, but I'm smiling :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Jeez! Well done lads! We'll have an all-boards final table at that game yet!
    Well done Hyzepher, I told you you were just having the head-staggers, I'm glad I'm not in your heat now!! 750 notes each... Christ the pot must have been huge!
    I'm playing in the big game tonight (dont expect any cash stories!) and I'm wondering if they will top 100 players. The cash for first is expected to top 15,000 apparently...

Played Chris and Luke... congrats!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Anyone thinking of buying into the hundred euro freezeout on Monday? With a thousand bozos added by the club it's a good time to lay down the money. I'm awful tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

not bad for a nights work!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    Every flop seemed to contain an 8 and for the first 2-3 hours I cant remember one high flop, just all rags with guys holding 85, 92 etc getting boats and sets all night. It got to the stage that if you were holding an 8 you thought you had the nuts pre-flop - madness.
    The flops were fairly odd, very few big cards usually, all below a Jack for the majority.
    What amazed me was some of the raises going on. The guy in Seat 1 was raising pre-flop with shite like 82 suited, J3 offsuit, and hitting the flop!
    Shortly after we're down to four and I'm still in and around 1st or 2nd. Then for the next what seemed like an eternity we steal, beg, borrow the chips off each other - I did get AA at one stage and went into a good lead but then my ATh didn't stand up against Gavin's QJ and we were back to even - swings and roundabouts.
    At the time the stacks were all so even that it would be a lottery of who finished in what position. You me and Gavin had stacks of about 50000, blinds were 5000-10000, every bet was an all-in, there was no limping. Tough game.
    Myself Gavin and Lafortezza eventually - at 3am - convinced the other guy to do a deal and we all walked with €750 and a big smile on our faces.
    Hyzepher
    I thought he was going to be a bollox and refuse the deal. You were fairly forceful in trying to convince him though :)

For once I was fairly happy with my play, it seemed like I was playing well instead of being slightly on auto-pilot and hitting the right cards at the right time.
    Big, loud Joe raised preflop from under the gun one time, I had A9 and reraised all-in, he thought for ages and I though he might have had AJ or AQ and I would have been ****ed if he called, but luckily I think my over the top raise was big enough for him to back off and fold. He showed A9 as well.

I think I'm definitely going in for the Monday €110 game, its a bit easier to make that decision after winning a decent amount, but they're adding €1000 (or more?) to the prize fund and I'd say that extra money will increase the number playing in the tournament so bigger prizes for everyone!

Jack Dolan banana!!

Advertisement