Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 DVD+RW for 29 euros

• 29-04-2004 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

Spotted these on the bargain shelf in PC World Liffey valley, tucked away in the bottom right of the shelves. Explore these shelves extensively cause there's loads of very weird prices there, things that are full priced elsewhere are reduced on the bargain shelf. And they don't appear to be returned stock as there's quite a few unopened spindles.

Only checked PC World Liffey Valley and unlikely to be anywhere else cause I think it's a mistake.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW www.play.com have Memorex DVD-R and DVD+R x4 speed spindles for e29 including delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

play don't deliver blank CDs/DVDs to Ireland. Plus those ones aren't rewriteable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

all gone! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭s8n

peats are doing an offer for the same price.

s8n - that's DVD-R not DVD+RW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Strange that they should be all gone so quickly. There was loads there when I looked, plus some other misc spindles of different types of DVD-/+R for good prices, although the +RW were the biggest bargain.

Those bargain shelves can be great for media as they reduce the price on stuff for no apparent reason, it's full price elsewhere in the store. In fact those DVD+RW were the subject of a big HALF PRICE sign in the proper media section of the store, some offer considering if you looked hard enough they were quarter of the price!

dude! i went through all the shelves! especially bottom right one! and there were like 3 packs left and they were DVD-R

after that i asked that man there, and he said they are all gone!

Fair enough....obviously a popular buy.
    :dunno:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by bk
    BTW www.play.com have Memorex DVD-R and DVD+R x4 speed spindles for e29 including delivery.

Wow, I didn't notice that they where +RW, for that price I assumed they where write once. Great deal. Pity I can't get out to PC World, no car :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by bk
    Wow, I didn't notice that they where +RW, for that price I assumed they where write once. Great deal. Pity I can't get out to PC World, no car :(

I've tried a few DVD+RW disks and I find them all very dodgy. They have gone corrupt on me over a few weeks. I wouldnt keep anything important on them.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭s8n

s8n - that's DVD-R not DVD+RW

wrong...it's DVD+R actually

Originally posted by s8n
    wrong...it's DVD+R actually

And -R I think, at least that's what Peats charged me when I last bought there.

Just came from peats, s8n you are right they HAD them(+RW), but they don't anymore :(

dunno when they are going to get it!

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    Just came from peats, s8n you are right they HAD them(+RW), but they don't anymore :(

dunno when they are going to get it!

Now I'm confused...s8n said it was for DVD+R...but you say Peats are saying they were selling 25 DVD+RW for that price? If they are then it's a good deal.

I wonder how much the dual layer media will cost when those burners are released.

Sorry, I thought he ment RW since the topic was started about that type of disks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Komplett.ie have very decent DVD+Rs for about €27-28 as well. Highly recommended - never had one fail on me yet.

On the other hand, AVOID Packard Bell DVD+Rs - worst I have ever used. Almost every one crapped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by chabsey
    And -R I think, at least that's what Peats charged me when I last bought there.

Now that both +r and -r are commonplace and all the religious wars are over with them has anyone noticed any benifit of one over the other. My burners only do +R
    and I cannot say I've had any probs with other drives with +R disks.
    DVD-R media is cheaper - is that it? :dunno:

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i think it's also a matter of companies standing behind formats, I've been told that sony prefer -r and claim that the -r writing system is supposed to be more efficient. Having said that it could just be that -r is the standard they helped develop, i don't know.

Originally posted by savemejebus
    i think it's also a matter of companies standing behind formats, I've been told that sony prefer -r and claim that the -r writing system is supposed to be more efficient. Having said that it could just be that -r is the standard they helped develop, i don't know.

Actually I believe Sony helped create +r, Pioneer created -r. Sony was the first company to bring out dual format drives +-r.

It is agreed by most people that there is no difference been +r and -r. They both cost the same, they both are equally compatible with dvd drives and they both have the same technical specs.

One difference alright is that the +r crowd seem to be ahead of the -r crowd. They have brought out faster drives x8 speed +r came out well before -r and now they have brought out dual layer +r drives, while the -r crowd haven't yet.

However there is a difference between -RW and +RW. +RW is better then -RW for storing data etc. it is far more like the packet writing CD-RW that we are all used to, so if you have a choice, always go for +RW media over -RW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The best price I have found for +RW discs is pricestorm who have 10 Datasafe disks for €18.50. Anyone know of any better prices for +RW?

-R/RW disks are much easier to find at good prices then +R/RW, there seems to be more manufacturers producing them.

pcn are doing 25 -RW for €29 (+delivery) although they give a special offer price of €19.50 there is no link to order at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭savemejebus

was in PC-World limerick last nite, and got 10 imation dvd+rw for €19.99 from their bargain section, they also have 10 packs of memorex dvd +rw for 29.99 at normal price

Advertisement