Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flying to Cologne

• 29-04-2004 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'll be visiting a mate in a few months in the Cologne area, just wondering which is the best airline and airport to fly into, and of course the cheapest fares :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

hi,

when i was retuning from interrail I spent last few nights in cologne and came back via frank furt. its less than 3hr on train (it was interrail so i 'm not very sure, but relatively short).
    aerlingus got me there and back for €150 that includin tax and a train would be bout €50 (but don't take RE-Bahn cause it stops at every town on line).
    so for bout €200-ish to make journey, and you don't have to worry about messin about with connection flights

good luck to ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

was there for a week this Xmas. flew to Brussels South with Ryanair, 39.99eur return, train from Brussels to Cologne 60eur return, 2 hour journey approx.
    well worth it, beautiful city, great nightlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There are two nearby airports which have flights from dublin: koln/bonn and dusseldorf. Koln is at the end of the Koln metro tram line and dusseldorf is only 20 mins on the bahn/train. Germanwings(.com) fly to Koln and Aer Lingus to Dusseldorf. With the cheap prices these days you should be able to get something for around 120 if a month in advance and if you've some flexibility without haviing to fly somewhere more than 40 kms away and get a train. Tho I do like the train journeys over there and can get cheapos from friend in bahn:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Fantastic, cheers folks. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I shall also be going to the same place at the end of the year to see my german friend
    this is the airline he recommended to me, they are like the german ryanair:

www.germanwings.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    they are like the german ryanair:

www.germanwings.com

ho ho ho!! aren't you in for a suprise, they are alot ****ter than good ol' ryanair!

my mate work on there call centres and he says they are unbelievably **** airline, he said overbooking is extremely high, and he is a second generation call centre operative!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I am currently based in Frankfurt and have used Germanwings for travelling from Cologne. If you are flying to Cologne then I would recommend them. The airport is less than 20 mins from the city centre and the buses go very frequently from outside terminal 2. I've had no problems travelling with them, book early and you get a good deal.

Oh and the trains are expensive in Germany, you should factor that in to the total price before you book any flights.

Advertisement