Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB problem (cannot renew IP address)?

• 29-04-2004 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,979 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all.

Last night, i launched Internet Explorer and it would not even find the page and would produce 'the page can not be displayed' webpage.

I am currently on Eircom broadband. It was working fine earlier in the evening. A few months back, a similar thing happened but after leaving the problem overnight - it worked fine the next morning.

This morning, it is still not working! Tried to repair the Network Connection using the Repair function in Windows XP but get a message 'Cannot renew IP Address. Please contact ISP' or something along the lines of that.

Anyone else ever have this problem? Any idea of how to resolve it? Or should i give Eircom BB Support a call?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Go to start|run then type in cmd
    then when you have the dos window open type in "ipconfig /renew" without the inverted commas, if that gives a similar message then phone eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,979 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Much appreciated, Blub2k4!

Am at college now. But will try it when i get home - got a few commands for DOS to try along with yours, if that doesn't work.

ipconfig /registerdns
    ipconfig /flushdns

Cheers again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What type of modem/router are you using?

It's the modem you get supplied with an Eircom BB subscription.

Am at college so can't check it right now but it's something along the lines of a Netopia Cayman.

Will check it when i get home and let you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Your PC wouldn't be getting the IP from the ISP then, the router will get assigned the public IP.
    If it's trying to renew an address it would be your network card's IP address, might be worth checking the cable connecting your PC to the Netopia.

• Advertisement

Yeah,

Checked the cable this morning... but didn't help matters much!

Will probably be giving Eircom Support a call this evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try disconnecting your DSL line from the DSL modem, then reconnecting.

This should restart any connection, and renew any IP address.

Then check the PC status.

Cheers for all your inputs into the situation!

Will try all them out and let you know how i get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

connect to http://192.168.1.254/
    you should be able to connect the dsl from there

Advertisement