Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Croatia

• 29-04-2004 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

Have 3 months over the summer before I start work. Have been thinking about different places to visit and Croatia popped into my head. Anyone been there, have any information about it, places to go and not to go? I want a sun holiday but more than just a beach holiday...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gorgeous country. I'd go back in a flash.

Head down to Dubrovnik, great city.

2 things - don't bus it, unless you don't mind very long bus trips. The country is arranged in an L shape, so to travel between points can be a long haul. Short hops from town to town would be the way to go.
    You can rent a car, but the drivers are insane. Really, really insane. 60 mph overtakes in hairpin bends overlooking 300m precipes, that kind of insane driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I was actually thinking the same, sun holiday good, Sunnier version of plymouth or blackpool not really. I can't stick the idea of a beach for a week, but do want the option and to avoid the knackers. Croatia sounds like a real option.
    Anyone tried a sun holiday there before?

Originally posted by uberwolf
    Anyone tried a sun holiday there before?
    Yep. The water is the cleanest, clearest I've ever seen anywhere. It's the perfect place for lounging around on the beach. There's not a big nightclub thing like Spain, but plenty of busy bars, open till 1-2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

I had a great time in Croatia last year. My highlight was the island of Hvar accessible from Split by Ferry. It is a beautiful country. Driving is slow because the roads are twisty all along the coastline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I did this last summer as well. Spent a few nights in Pula. It's quite quiet full of German types. The hostel was good craic and I just went back there after dinner most evenings. From there you can visit Rovinj which is a beautiful little town. Pula is quite nice too but quite small.

Then I went by ferry from Rijeka to Split. Split is very lively and a great base for sight-seeing trips. Hvar island been the most memorable. There's a disco strip about 1km past the ferry terminal which is a bit out of town but really good late nightlife. All the main restaurants, ice cream parlours and bars are right between the oldtown and the sea. The oldtown is also fabulous. Try to go in there early (I went in straight from the ferry - 7am ish after dumping my bags). It's really good when there's virtually noone there. During the day though it does get seriously crowded.

Then I headed for Dubrovnik. I wanna live there. It's unbelieveable. WANRING: Don't walk the walls in the midday sun though. Nightlife ends early enough and is pretty quiet.

Beaches are everywhere but very few are sandy beaches. Sandy beaches are usually packed too. Water as mentioned is unbelieveably clear (and salty).

I bussed it back to Rijeka from Dubrovnik and that took 15hrs or so. Be careful if you plan on getting connections (my guidebook said this would take 12hours).

Didn't bother going inland so I don't know what that's like.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Imposter
    I bussed it back to Rijeka from Dubrovnik and that took 15hrs or so. Be careful if you plan on getting connections (my guidebook said this would take 12hours).
    Yeah. Although, the actual bus stations will give you an accurate idea of the time it takes.

My best advice for anyone who's not going to stay in one place is to fly into one end of the country, and hop from place to place, and fly home from the other end. The bus journeys are a killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thats gas, I was about to ask about Croatia. I am off there for a week in June, and wanted to learn a bit about the place. Hvar looks like a good option for me - I'll have a car, though, can I bring that to the island? And, a very important question, where are these sandy beaches? Any on Hvar?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

wanted to learn a bit about the place. Hvar looks like a good option for me - I'll have a car, though, can I bring that to the island? And, a very important question, where are these sandy beaches? Any on Hvar?

On Hvar it is possible to get a short boat trip to another island with fabulous beaches. I can't remember the name of the island. The boats leave from the harbour in Hvar. Car ferries do not go to Hvar but land on another side of the island. Then it is a spectaular 20km roadtrip including a 4km tunnel. Car ferry from Split would be about 1 1/2 hours. My favorite hotel I stayed in in Croatia was on the outskirts of Hvar. Hotel Podstine

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ebowdia

Went to Croatia for 2 weeks last year also. Flew into Dubrovnik from Cork. Spent 3 nights there - amazing place, really old and loads of sites. Stay in the old town if you can, loads of charactor.

Then went by bus to Sarajevo for 2 days. The bus trip through Bosnia takes about 6 hours and is a real eye opener - the wounds of the war are all over the place, very sad to see. Sarajevo is an interesting city - worth a couple of days I think. One think that is shocking is bullet holes in every single building.

We then went to Split by bus (6/7 hours) and stayed there for 2 days also. It is a gorgeous city - old and new all mixed together. Great nightlife here, much more happening than Dubrovnik.

We then went by ferry to Brac island. Spent 2 days here in Bol, beautiful place. Not much happening but it boasts on of the nicest beaches in the world - Zlatni Rat. We hired a boat here also for a day, fantastic.

Then to Hvar iskand for 2 days. Very pretty island, very polular, loads of people. Nice beaches here also, and cheap boat hire.

Finally to Korcula island for 2 days. This island is like a mini Dubrovnik. Loads of nice restaurants and little shops. Again, stay in the old town if you can.

The back to Dubrovnik for one final night - 3 hours by ferry. One thing to do if in Dubrovnik is to go to 'Drinks with a View'. This is an outdoor bar down on the rocks over looking the sea - just beneath the walls of the old town. Ask around and you'll find it - SWEET!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

thanks for all the replies. it definitely sounds like somewhere interesting to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Yeah I would def be fan of this. I don't want to do the bus thing (too lazy and not my idea of a holiday).

If you'd to pick one place, with sun, beach, character and quiet. which would it be? and how would you get there? Links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by uberwolf
    If you'd to pick one place, with sun, beach, character and quiet. which would it be? and how would you get there? Links?
    Seeing as a lively nightlife wasn't in your plans (although the nightlife ain't so bad), definitely Dubrovnik.
    Aer Lingus fly direct. Accomodation can be easily picked up there by either going down to the ferry station at the right time or by approaching people offering rooms (sobe) on the street. Some of these can be really near the old town and of a very good quality. The more days you stay the better the deals they give you. Alternatively you could probably book an overpriced hotel on the web. There are loads of beachs that are walkable from the centre. You could also go to the nearby islands for day trips to beaches. From what you've posted above you definitely won't regret going to Dubrovnik.

Split would be ok too but i'm not sure about getting there direct.

Advertisement