Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom provides legal mp3 downloads

Options
  • 29-04-2004 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9409937.html

The whole point of downloading music, is because it's cheaper than buying it from the net. Here we have Eircoms solution, and it's useless.

For 30 euro you get 3400 credits, and you buy your songs with the credits. A popular song will cost 180 credits, so 3400/180 = ~19 songs.

Or other songs cost 100 credits = 34 songs.

FOR 30 EURO!

You can imagine this isn't going to take off.

They do however, allow users to download songs and use the for a short amount of time for 30 credits, which isn't too bad, but they don't work after a year.
    I'd imagine it would be quite easy to "bypass"

340 songs for 30 euro is very reasonable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah lordy, they haven't a clue. 19 songs for €30?
    You buy a 2 disc album with more songs for less. An you get a case with that.

34 songs for €30 is even a bit high, compared to other online places.

I honestly think that eircom's directors set all of their prices instead of getting someone who's actually qualified to do it.

[Edit: Oh look, it will only work in IE. Morons.

Honestly - Eircom: Who the fuck do you have working on all of your internet projects? Whoever they are, fire them. They haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

You could download them and the record them to mp3 format. A bit more work, but you could sleep at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

erm, isn't it €.90 per song for itunes?
    that'd be in line with eircom's 100 credit songs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

www.allofmp3.com , 0.01c an MB to download, apparantly its all above board and legal, you specify the quality, the server rips to said quality and then you download from a link your emailed or something once its ripped.

Got this from another, much much bigger board i visit and posting crap / illegal crap would normally get someone banned for posting it and thus losing his reg fee of 10dollars so from that alone is seems legit, and already theres 100s of replys saying it legal... might be worth a look.

If its illegal sorry etc :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I hope it crashes and burns :D:D:D
    but then they'll blame it on "TEH EV!L MU31C P1RA135S" who crushed our business model

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by tman
    erm, isn't it €.90 per song for itunes?
    that'd be in line with eircom's 100 credit songs...

Its $0.90 in the states, hasn't come out here yet though. If its around the same here I might be half tempted to use the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Oh look, it will only work in IE

doesn't support Macs either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Well I actually think it's not bad [puts on suit of armour :ninja: ]

I think the 10 credits a pop for temporary downloads is great because I have a home office [read: don't commute] and listen to most of my music from my PC.

But, the reason I'm posting, is to ask if anyone else is suspicious of the Temporary Downloads option? The reason I ask is because their instructions say that temporary downloads will play for a year, for a Pay Go customer, after buying the bunch of credits.

However, when I look at the properties of my temporary tracks they indicate that they license will expire in one month !!!

I'm sure they could be done for false advertising if that actually happens?

By they way, I don't imagin eirocm themselves had too much to do with the design of the site as it appears to be a white labeled OD2.com job. But maybe they do set the prices themselves?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim
    http://eirepreneur.blogs.com

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭meelick

Initially I thought that this was a great idea, but now I think it's a bit of a rip off.
    You wont find many (modern) tunes for less than €1.39, and as for (moderm) albums.... The Eminem Show is €27.99 on eircom, wheas you can get it (with cover, etc) for ST£8.99 from CD-Wow.
    Worth noting also, that all the different companies using OD2 for distribution offer the same music for different prices, the above album can be got from (probably) the same servers from anywhere between €19.90 (Germany) to €39.90 (Belgium). See www.od2.com for the list.
    Permament tracks can be downloaded and the licence recovered twice, probably meaning that you can use the permanent licence on three devices only. You can burn onto CD, and rip back to MP3, if you want it on more than three of your own devices.
    Oh, and you only get 128kbps downloads, no matter what you go for, temp or permanent.

Cheers,
    Meelick.

Advertisement