Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time Sinn Fein joined the Policing Board?

Options
  • 29-04-2004 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

from the BBC
    On Tuesday, Mr Hutchinson will publish his first report on the pace of change since he took over the post of Oversight Commissioner in December 2003.

Speaking on BBC Radio Ulster on Tuesday, Mr Hutchinson said it was important all political parties and community leaders "support this progress and change".

"The absence of Sinn Fein, for example... leaves a gap in terms of both accountability and progress. "

With Sinn Fein not involved in the Policing Board - Is it stopping progress being made from the Patten Report?

Is it time Sinn Fein joined the Policing Board? 2 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    With Sinn Fein not involved in the Policing Board - Is it stopping progress being made from the Patten Report?

I don't think they will join, it needs a major overhaul,I believe the majority of high ranking officicials in the new organisation are ex RUC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by irish1
    I believe the majority of high ranking officicials in the new organisation are ex RUC.

TBH Catholics would probably get a number of high ranking positions - if they would join, but as Sinn Fein are not involved in the Policing - many wouldnt join.

And with Sinn Fein staying out of the Policing board - the changes cannot be 'forced' in quicker - therefore the change over from RUC to PSNI is taking longer.

Advertisement