Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cruciate Ligament injury

• 29-04-2004 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

I am having surgery for a cruciate ligament tear soon. Anyone got any advice/pointers?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Are you in sports? If you are, then the biggest advice I can give is not to get lazy while you are out of training/playing what ever sport you take part in.

Granted, you won't be able to do much work with your leg, but try to keep the upper body fit. You will probably put on some weight, but not too much, as you won't be as mobile.

Also, don't expect too quick a recovery. We all know how long it takes professional sportspeople to recover from such an operation, and I guarantee it will take you much longer, because they have dedicated physio's at their clubs where they have access to facilities pretty much 24/7 to aid their recovery.

Don't rush your come-back, you will regret this. If you do not recover fully, you will relapse with a worse injury, and perhaps never fully recover from that one.

Oh and...buy a good book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

As its only a tear its not too bad and recovery should be quicker. Plenty of exercise on your thigh muscles will be expected. Swimming and exercise bike are good ideas.
    thegills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

get proper advice from a physio on your recovery and cause over or even under doing it can cause more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Its not pleasant, but I've had the cruciate operation twice now and I'm back in full sporting mode..

Kep positive and try and do as much work pre-op as is possible...it will be very important combatting the wastage on you leg muscles post op.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement