Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duff out for rest of season

• 29-04-2004 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Duff suffers injury torment (BBC Sport)
    Damien Duff is unlikely to play again this season after dislocating his shoulder in training.
    The winger was ruled out for three and a half weeks in December when he suffered the same injury.

That means he is almost certain to miss the second leg of the Champions League semi-final aginat Monaco on Wednesday.

Irish international Duff had only just returned to training after missing three games, including the first leg against Monaco, with a virus.

The club website reported that Duff will have the problem assessed before deciding on the best course of action.

Chelsea, 3-1 down from the first leg against Monaco, have already lost Claude Makelele and Marcel Desailly to suspension for the return at Stamford Bridge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Well that makes Chelsea reaching the final a lot less likely now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I was really looking forward to see him against Monaco next week.:( He better get the op now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I think it's becoming more obvious why united did not sign him.

He is a great player but far to injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Unlike say Van Nisterroy?

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Jaysus that cant be good for the shoulder.

What was it they said the last time about him dislocating it again? (I presume its the same shoulder)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Xterminator I don't see how Van NIs can be considered injury prone?

He has been injured this season a bit, yet still played 26 games.
    Over the last few seasons he has been fine.

Similiarily with Duff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

shiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

I wouldn't call Van Nistelrooy injury prone.

I knew Chelsea rushed him back too soon from that injury. Bryan Robson played on with that and suffered a second injury and it plagued him for years. Was never really the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by jonno
    Jaysus that cant be good for the shoulder.

What was it they said the last time about him dislocating it again? (I presume its the same shoulder)
    He was told at the time that the shoulder would require about three months to recover properly and that not allowing it to recover would result in the injury re-occuring. The club rushed him back so there was no real surprise that it went again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

it sounds sore i hope it doesnt bother him during irelands qualifiers!!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    it sounds sore i hope it doesnt bother him during irelands qualifiers!!!
    When he gets the op he should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

Hope this shoulder thing doesn't plague him... Bryan Robson had jip with his shoulder throughout his career... it's a reocurring injury that can proove a real nuisance and tends never to go away.. Could be a major blow to Ireland when we least need it.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/story.asp?newsid=11266
    Damien Duff will postpone surgery on his troublesome shoulder until the summer - if his Chelsea colleagues can overhaul their two-goal deficit and claim a place in the Champions League final tonight.

The Blues take on AS Monaco at Stamford Bridge hoping to recover from the disastrous 3-1 first leg defeat in the French principality a fortnight ago.

Two late goals on that occasion, after manager Claudio Ranieri had gambled by throwing on an extra forward and leaving his back-line exposed, ensured a gargantuan task for the return in west London, but Chelsea remain hopeful that they can gain the margin of victory needed to advance to meet Porto in the final in Gelsenkirchen later this month.

And if they can manage that, Duff will reportedly put off his surgery until the summer in a bid to regain fitness for the big decider on May 26th.
    His shoulder must be really weak now and judging by the amount of fouls he gets the injury will probably re-occur. A Champions league final is a once in a life time experience but its not worth risking his career. If the operation will competely repair his shoulder he should prospone the op but if it won't he should just get it done and over with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I think he should have a good chance of making a complete recovery given that sports injury surgery has advanced an awful lot from Bryan Robson's day. It's obvioulsy a disaster for Chelsea, I would have loved to have seen Duff and Gronkjaer running at the Monaco defense. Though the lack of Duff means Ranieri will probably start Hasselbaink instead of Crespo which gives them a better chance I reckon.

It could be a blessing in disguise for Ireland, Reid needs games on the left flank to get him properly installed into the team and we'll need someone adept and used to the Irish left flank for the qualifiers some of which Duff will inevitably miss. With a ready made and proven stand-by in Reid for the left side the lack of Duff for any one given qualifier should be less of a psychological blow to the players. I love Duff but I find it a bit worrisome to have Ireland so dependant for creativity on one quite (but not terribly) injury prone player.

Advertisement