Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5Mbit Cable BB Now Available in Ireland

• 29-04-2004 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

It seems that Casey Cablevision in Dungarvan have upped their base package speed from 4Mbit reported recently to a stonking 5Mbit now. All for €40 a month...... sigh ww) and free connection too.

Details are available Here . Anybody organised a LAN party down in Dungarvan yet so that the plebs in Dublin can come down to see what BB is and stuff ??:D , could be a nice lil tourist earner for Dungarvan .

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

haha

does anyone on here actually use it, and can give some ping times and download speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

What's their backhaul and international connectivity like?

It would be quite expensive to provide good high-capacity connectivity to Dungarvan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That looks pretty sweet and cheap too,

But no doubht it still won't be up to scratch for 1/2 the posters here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

silly questions these are, but worth a shot.....

where is Dungarvin?

and

why Dungarvin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Apparently you have to be a subscriber to their cable TV service aswell. I'm willing to bet thats a wee bit expensive, and that they'll be charging you installation for it to, should you decide to opt for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Who cares?! Do you have any idea how much it would cost to get 5mbit of Eircom. I'm not sure but my guess would be at least €15,000 p.a..

5mbit = shiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

dungarvan is in waterford, nice little seaside town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Does anyone know how long they have had cable Internet in Dungarvan?

I remember hearing it was since the mid-nineties or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder if they could manage a very leveraged buy-out of NTL? :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I was working with a girl from Dungarvin in 1999 and she said they had cable internet there, so it goes back to at least then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its real and it works I know a number of people using it :(

Its a dam shane that they don't offer itin Waterford City :mad:

Maybe in the future.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Well that's something for the 300 ordnance survey staff being decentralised to Dungarvan to look forward.

Good to see something useful coming out of the auld decentralisation for someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Iano - you can pick up a 100Mbps Metro Ethernet From ESB at about €50k a year and there are lots of Tier-1 transit providers in Dublin....not that hard to do! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    Who cares?! Do you have any idea how much it would cost to get 5mbit of Eircom. I'm not sure but my guess would be at least €15,000 p.a..

5mbit = shiny.

Id say add at least another zero onto the end of that for Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Throw in an 8gig cap and I can sense another Alannis Morrissette song being written.
    :)

Jammy sods though, any chance they'll buy out NTL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭GavinKeller

NICE ! Need for Speed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Anemone

I'm a bit late replying to this thread. Only spotted it now. I'm on the Cablesurf network in Dungarvan, and it really has speeded up in the last few weeks. Most of my downloads are now around 500 KBytes per second, and one or two have even touched 600. Ping times are in the range 30 to 50.

I can put yis in touch with the builders around here if anybody is thinkin' of moving ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Anemone
    I'm a bit late replying to this thread.
    Hell no:)
    "Late replying" would consist of dragging up a thread from two years ago.

Good to get some feedback from someone who's actually using the service (especially someone who's extremely happy with it)

Am I reading "unlimited usage" rightly on the site? There's no cap?
    (obviously the AUP contains bits about copyright infringement but that's to be expected)

Am I reading "unlimited usage" rightly on the site? There's no cap?

Actually I can't give you a definite answer on that. I've been on the system for about 4 years, and during that time I never asked about a cap, and they never mentioned one. Things are a bit more laid back here in West Waterford :)

I work from home, in IT, so I'm on it all day every day, and I've never been asked by Cablesurf to tone down my usage. It's advertised locally as having no cap, so if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck ...

Originally posted by Anemone
    It's advertised locally as having no cap, so if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck ...
    ... then it's as speedy as a swallow and worth a gander:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

That was terrible sceptre. Really :)

Originally posted by Moriarty
    That was terrible sceptre. Really :)
    I hide my poor puns over here. Away off wi' ye now, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Kind of a weird question here but... what speed is the uplink?

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    Kind of a weird question here but... what speed is the uplink?

It's *only* 512 kbit/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

ahhh dungarvan is so close to cork, yet still a million miles away :( how old is the cable network in dungarvan anyway ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Dont suppose there thinking of expanding by any chance, i know this was asked before but hey god loves a tryer

Shin

Originally posted by parasite
    ahhh dungarvan is so close to cork, yet still a million miles away :( how old is the cable network in dungarvan anyway ?

According to the Examiner archives, since June 98.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/1998/06/29/ihead.htm

(Scroll down a bit).

Originally posted by shinzon
    Dont suppose there thinking of expanding by any chance, i know this was asked before but hey god loves a tryer

Shin

Well Pat Casey (the man behind this technological wonder) has run the cable out to estates that are two miles from the centre of the metropolis, but I guess that's not exactly what you had in mind:)

Seriously, I don't really know what his expansion plans are. He has a nice little earner going, because he runs the cable TV service here too (36 channels for €25 per month). He may well be happy with his local empire.

Advertisement