Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVI file Not Playing

Options
  • 29-04-2004 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

I have a AVI file I would like to play, it plays but I just get a black screen, I have a couple of players but its the same in all players like winamp, windows media player, any help would be great.;)

Thanks . crano

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Make sure you have the right codecs.
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html
    Download that load the .avi it tells you what codec is used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

most likely divx or xvid

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's a divx video of some sort. try either the gordian knot codec pack or the nimo codec pack which have a whole host of audio/video codecs. if it gives you an option of full install, or standard go for standard as a lot of them won't be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

It's probably a div-x file try downloading the div-x codec from here.
    I can't remember what happens during installation but i know there is some kind of adware included in the free version. Don't install it.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by K!LL!@N
    It's probably a div-x file try downloading the div-x codec from here.
    I can't remember what happens during installation but i know there is some kind of adware included in the free version. Don't install it.

Killian

It installs a "gan trickler" which can be blocked from gaining access to the net.
    If you delete it, it stops you from encoding divx but you can still watch them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

tried all those players and codecs, still no joy:( I just keep getting a slightly grayed image while the file is playing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

download thisAVI Info. as well as allowing you to fix audio sync problems, it will tell you what codec the file is encoded with. then a quick google should get the codec for you. assuming it's not just a knackered file.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

google for ace codecs and download this, this about 33mb but will probably have the codec you need.

data

Advertisement