Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - 2 mishaps in a week!

• 29-04-2004 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

From RTE:

"A Ryanair flight from Charleroi airport in Belguim to Dublin was forced to turn back shortly after take-off this evening due to a mechanical problem.

According to one of the 120 passengers on board, there was a loud engine noise as the plane took off.

When passengers disembarked some 15 minutes later, one of the plane's tyres was burning.

The passengers were evacuated following emergency procedure and no one was injured.

In a similar incident on Tuesday, 97 Ryanair passengers were forced to spend a night in Nantes, in France, after their plane was forced to make an emergency landing."

2 incidents in 1 week is not good news, I've flown with Ryanair quite a bit in the last few months and every plane I've been on has looked pretty shattered.

Does anyone else find this a worrying trend or is it just all hot air???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭acid

Aren't all planes subject to the same safety inspections?

I don't know if ryanair has a higher frequency of "incidents" than other airlines, i suspect if they did we'd have heard about it by now.

I've flown quite a bit with ryanair and the planes often look a bit shabby, but as long as they have been passed fit to fly upon inspection they should be as mechanically sound as any other plane.

Still it is worrying, the temptation to cut costs in safety as well as everywhere else is always there, it depends on exactly how frequent and stringent the safety inspections are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by irish1
    According to one of the 120 passengers on board, there was a loud engine noise as the plane took off.

I hear loud rumbleing noises from the engines during take off on nearly every flight I have taken ... weird :confused:

Seriously though, Ryanair's planes are old, but most planes flying around today arnt brand new. All do and must meet the safety requrement in order to be air worthy. Remember, its safer to fly then to walk across the road. Ryanair do have an order for a hell of a load of new aircraft [cant remember how many at the moment] and once they come into service people will probably "feel" safer. As it stands though you are safe to fly with them.

At the moment the media seem to be taking every possible opportunity to knock Ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Don't ever take the word of a passenger about what happened during a flight. It's very easy to mis-interpret what you see or hear. Especially in the event of an unexpected event (such as this - I'm not suggesting there wasn't a problem). A little fear and a lack of understanding combine to exaggerate sounds and movement. Then they add a little for good measure when approached by a journalist who, in turn, adds a little more to excite their readers

As an aside, while the Ryanair 737-200s are old, they're fully airworthy. They also have far more new -800s than old -200s. In fact I think the average age of Ryanair aircraft makes it one of the youngest fleets in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by RTE
    When passengers disembarked some 15 minutes later .... The passengers were evacuated following emergency procedure and no one was injured.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

LOL. I think what Victor pointed out sums it up completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Originally posted by Winters
    Remember, its safer to fly then to walk across the road.

Is that just roads in Dublin or does that apply to any road? :)

The thing about flying is if something goes wrong you're absolutely powerless, and powerlessness is something nobody likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Of all the airlines out there I believe that Ryanair (and low cost carriers in general) would be extremely concerned about safety and stop a flight at the slightest thing.
    My brother was on a Ryanair flight from London that was delayed for over an hour, the pilot was not willing to fly until the problem with static on the cabin intercom was fixed. If Ryanair have a major incident somewhere then that’s the end of them, no one will go near them or another low cost carrier ever again, in 1996 a VauleJet plane crashed in Florida, it was bust within a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Victor
    :rolleyes:

Well thanks mod for your enlighting post, I'd like to point out I didn't say what you quoted me as saying I simply posted up an extract from RTE, and I asked
    Does anyone else find this a worrying trend or is it just all hot air???

I take it is all hot air then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well thanks mod for your enlighting post, I'd like to point out I didn't say what you quoted me as saying I simply posted up an extract from RTE, and I asked

I don't think he was getting at you, more the reporting ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by por
    in 1996 a VauleJet plane crashed in Florida, it was bust within a few months.

Erm, no it wasn't. It bought another airline called AirTran, merged the two and kept the AirTran name. It is now the second biggest Low Cost Carrier in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by irish1
    I'd like to point out I didn't say what you quoted me as saying I simply posted up an extract from RTE
    Apologies, sloppy quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Seeing as people are bringing up things going bust after crashing...

Useless trivia 324 in an infinite series:
    The Concorde that crashed in Paris was the same one used in the pretty crappy Airport 80: The Concorde disaster movie. I'd laugh if people hadn't died.

Advertisement