Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

which side of the road

Options
  • 29-04-2004 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

whats the story here

when i am driving up camdem st towards rathmines i have to turn left at the bleading horse then right now decision time do i stay in the left or the right lane, most of the cars in the left lane turn off towards the barge/ranalagh and most of the right lane head towards rathmines or the st circular road

but i when i take the right lane the cars from the left lane fallow me around and i cant get into lane for the left to rathmines, and when i take the left lane people in the right lane don't even see you and i have to stop blocking the people in my lane from going to ranalagh

aragh, someone dig up that poxy triangle outside the bleading horse and let me go stright, or else put up some "get into lane " signs

do you know what i mean

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

as it is a form of roundabout, you are best off staying in the rightmost lane until you pass the junction for ranelagh, where you should then move left.
    However, given dublin's traffic and the crap drivers in dublin, you may as well do what you like - if you don't someone else will do it for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

so just think of it as a big square signal controlled roundabout, thanks that actually makes a lot of sense

ps thanks for the reply-i didn't think anyone would understand my post

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's called a gyratory. I think you should be in the right hand lane for Rathmines.

The layout is likely to be revisited in the next year, once post-Luas traffic patterns settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Victor
    It's called a gyratory.
    What's the difference Victor?

(I'm really only interested because all roundabouts were once called "gyratory circuses", hence Piccadilly Circus and Oxford Circus having traffic rather than elephants and lion tamers and interesting things)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect it is that a gyratory in the modern sense has something useful in the middle (in this case buildings, in Stephens Green, the park). They also tend to be less direct than roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ah, that makes some sense, thanks.

Advertisement