Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is irish broadband:Breeze Home a decent product?

• 29-04-2004 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭

hiya, a mate of mine is forced to go for a wireless broadband connection as it turns out that the eircom phone line in his house is shared with 3 other houses. thus his phone line fails the broadband test and eircom knowing the situation have the gall to charge him for full phone line rental as if eliminating the chance of having a broadband connection via phone line wasn't outrageous enough!

anyway so he has contacted irish broadband and they advised him to go for the Breeze Home product. Are there any users of the same product out there?
    i know that any wireless broadband product may have it limitations what with wireless interference from time to time etc but still is it a decent enough product?? Or should i advise my friend to avoid it like the plague??

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

I got Home breeze plus 2 weeks ago and so far so good. I managed to blag the VL 5.8ghz equipment which is more reliable then the standard 2.8ghz equipment. At some stage they will role out the 3.5ghz equipment, which should resolve the reliability problems. Might be worth waiting for that role out. However, there is an issue with P2P software on the IBB network. They seem to either block ports or limit speed. I can't get any goodness from K**Z** !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Originally posted by statto
    I got Home breeze plus 2 weeks ago and so far so good. I managed to blag the VL 5.8ghz equipment which is more reliable then the standard 2.8ghz equipment. At some stage they will role out the 3.5ghz equipment, which should resolve the reliability problems. Might be worth waiting for that role out. However, there is an issue with P2P software on the IBB network. They seem to either block ports or limit speed. I can't get any goodness from K**Z** !!!

I can't get any speed from Kazza Lite either and I'm on IOL. Had the same problem when I was with IBB so I doubt they are blocking the ports.

As for IBB, well I left them to go to IOL. If you look through the posts you will see the problems people have been having with them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im on eircom and couldnt get kazza lite to work either even after forwarding ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=339 Check out this link. It could explain your kazaa lite problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you get the 5.8ghz, its excellent 24x7. If you get the other stuff, its debateable. You never know until you get installed.

When 3.5ghz comes out, all problems will vanish, as they can increase the power of the antennes a LOT and thus reduce/remove interference related problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

5.8ghz IBB gear rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

5.8ghz IBB ping times:

These are the pings when i'm uploading at 50kb/sec.

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 24, Received = 24, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 160ms, Average = 70ms

When i'm uploading at 45kb/sec:
    Packets: Sent = 29, Received = 29, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 81ms, Average = 46ms

Uploading at 40kb/sec:
    Packets: Sent = 32, Received = 32, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 59ms, Average = 36ms
    Control-Break

And when my connection is completely unstressed, the pings here are a solid 18-24ms.

Advertisement