Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega to give "Explosive E3 Announcement"?

Options
  • 30-04-2004 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

http://general.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/6272/
    Start the rumor mill, Sega has just announced a mystery briefing at E3 that could shock the world.

In less than two weeks time, on Wednesday, May 12, Sega will surprise the gaming world with an announcement from their booth at E3. According to an e-mail sent out to various media outlets this morning, the announcement will take place at 10:00 AM PST, and last for approximately 30 minutes. Sega is calling it an "Explosive Announcement Event".

In addition to the big announcement, the mystery briefing will also unveil the latest titles from Sega. Many people have speculated that Sega will announce Shenmue III exclusively for the Xbox, but the sheer magnitude of this event seems to point to something bigger. Stay with us as we'll have coverage of the event from the E3 show floor.

Wonder what it could be? A new Sega console?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I hope its not a new console.
    I dont much like consoles

The sega mega drive is brillent and has some brillent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by User45701

Thats a very odd post tbh

Anyway douth it’s a new console sega stopped making them for a good reason how would they compete against xbox 2 Gamecube 2 Sony playstation 3?? They couldn’t handle the N64 ffs

Maybe Nintendo has bought them out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds like the bull$hit hype machine has moved up a gear ahead of E3.

Ninty Megaton announcement anyone? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

multi-platform monkey ball 3 i'd say...
    afaik this is the japanese year of the monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's the Megaton 2004!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by f®eak s©enery
    Wonder what it could be? A new Sega console?
    Sega to shut up shop and form an international ostrich farming consortium?

Unless they've been taken over, "shock the world" is a bit strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by Stephen
    Sounds like the bull$hit hype machine has moved up a gear ahead of E3.

Ninty Megaton announcement anyone? :)

a bullship hype announcement @ e3??
    surely you are mistaken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Originally posted by User45701

Agreed.

Were gettin into the time were games need movie like budgets to stay ahead, but while they need the budget of movies they dont have huge market (or profits) that movies can generate.

Yet another new platform compeating with the rest would be bad news imo:dunno:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Wednesday...10:00 AM

That's good news, now I'll be totally full on the Wednesday, and I’ll have to wake up early.

But I’d have to go towards the international ostrich farming consortium idea, well at least an Ostrich Ball game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Possibly being bought out my Micro$oft:confused:?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by bus77
    Were gettin into the time were games need movie like budgets to stay ahead, but while they need the budget of movies they dont have huge market (or profits) that movies can generate.:

Actually I think you'll find that games outstripped movies last year in terms of revenues......and I think they are more profitable as well.....

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    Actually I think you'll find that games outstripped movies last year in terms of revenues......and I think they are more profitable as well.....

Actually I think it was something like games outstripped films at the box office OR rental. Not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Megaton was cool, the internet was alight with hype only for it to die a slow agonising death.

This is the Segaton, Sega is buying Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo in one fell swoop. You heard it here first! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Originally posted by monument
    Actually I think it was something like games outstripped films at the box office OR rental. Not both.

Either way It's profits shared between 4 differnt platforms(ps2,pc ect) - vs - 1
    Another contender in the market would thin out those profits even more taking money away from big game development

never mind, Its probably something ****ty game they are anounceing anyway:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Most expensive game ever made (thus far) is HL2 (and it aint out yet). Wasnt there a post that said it had cost like 100million or something thus far?

100million is nowhere near the cost of a decent budget sized movie.

I dunno which sells better but games do sell a hell of a lot. Usually more than enough to make a healthy profit (why else would we still be getting games).

Most companies do it for the money, not cos they want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I don't think HL2 has cost that much.

This rumour is bollocks. It was originally posted by some silly site that writes rumours like that all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

hmmmm... "explosive"...
    could be a sequel to rocket jockey.
    that'd be fecking sweet on the current gen of consoles (never managed to get the abandonware version of rocket jockey working satisfactorily:( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Altered Beast 2 for X-Box and PC fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Its a new console unimaginatively called the jupiter, i kid you not

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Surely Duke Nukem ForNever has cost more than HL2??? Its been in development for more years than I care to remember...or did they cancel it???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

this is Sega/sammy style hyped BS

Its probably to do with Sega -finally- launching Outrun2 in the Arcades and Announcing it as an Xbox exculsive. :|

"100million is nowhere near the cost of a decent budget sized movie."
    Bk Dsr
    with the top ranking films clearing 250-300 million gross (approx_-and there are very few of those every year) normal films do not have on average 100million budgets.
    Most 'regular/ normal' films will struggle to get anywhere near 100millions in takings worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

what news did Sammy announce and one ?
    sammy are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/04/30/news_6095043.html
    RUMOR: At E3, Sega will announce it is getting back into the console business.

Source: An e-mail blast inviting press to Sega's "mystery event" at E3.

The official story: "SEGA cannot comment on rumors relating to its exclusive press event on day one of E3. SEGA remains excited about its powerful lineup of yet-to-be announced titles."--Sega spokesman.

What we heard: Ever since Dreamcast production ceased in 2001, the console's diehard fans have held out hope that it would rise from the ashes. This week, hope came in the form of a one-paragraph press invitation to Sega's E3 presentation. "Learn about SEGA's 2004 line-up and hear BIG news you'd NEVER guess," read the invite, which promised "explosive news--something even YOU won't be able to guess!" (Emphasis in the original). Within minutes, Sega loyalists were churning out messianic predictions of a new and improved Dreamcast. "Financially revitalized, finally debt-free, Sega now firmly believes it has what it takes to rule the roost," read one. But before you break out the straightjackets, consider this: Amusement-machine giant Sammy is Sega's majority stockholder, and its president Hajime Satomi is Sega's chairman. This year, Sammy's new Atomiswave arcade platform will replace the veteran NeoGeo format. The NeoGeo also came in a home console version which had a customer base fanatical enough to shell out hundreds of dollars per game--in other words, a proven (if small) market. The Atomiswave's hardware is even more compact than the NeoGeo's. Sammy has announced Sega will focus on developing games for the Atomiswave. Could Sega's big announcement be a new, Sega-branded home console based on the Atomiswave? Or is all this much ado about nothing?

Bogus or not bogus?: Although it's an intriguing theory, it's probably bogus. Note to Sega: kudos for making one publicity e-mail go a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's Shenmue 3, it's just gotta be! Us fans have been waiting long enough for the third episode of the best game ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

proablly a new sonic type mascot

or a new console with a harddrive, bb modem and all the rest

Seen as you're all so interested, if I manage to remember, after the announcement I'll rush to the press office, or nearest Wi-Fi point, so I can post here and let you all know. And that’s not a promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭teck-x5

it sounds too big to be shenmue 3 but i do hope they mention that too, the release of shenmue 3 is more then likly gonna happen soon with the renaming of yu gaming to digital rex they have kept a tight lip on the big game they say they are developing at the moment and they also said they would have a major announcment at E3 this year.

But man, i sit here as sega fanboy dreaming of the next thing they make, to fall in love with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Originally posted by monument
    Seen as you're all so interested, if I manage to remember, after the announcement I'll rush to the press office, or nearest Wi-Fi point, so I can post here and let you all know. And that’s not a promises.

Thanks but ill be watching it live thanks to my subscription to gamespot complete!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

explosive news--something even YOU won't be able to guess

this is bigger than shenmue 3, its a very big claim by sega, lets hope they can live up to it. but i took a look at a games chart today for ps2 today, and I can say there wasnt one game in the top ten i wanted mabye sega could re-enter the market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Nights 2.....That I would love to see....

Advertisement