Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to DublinWAN

• 30-04-2004 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Has anybody out there had any success in connecting to DublinWAN . I have just moved into a house and I don't want to get a land line installed because of the line rental charges. I have tried to contact DublinWAN by email but I am not getting any answer. I have also posted on their forum but it seems to be pretty out of date. Anybody got any suggestions for Broadband alternatives (Lower cost the better)? I am based out near Sutton on the Northside of Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

If you PM Capt'n Midnight here on boards he should be able to put you in touch with people running nodes in your area, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

cheers thanks for that, just tried to send a message but his mailbox is full I'll try again later.

thanks

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I have also posted on their forum but it seems to be pretty out of date.

ahh..not sure what you mean here? The forums are viewed and added to by wan members on a daily basis from what i can see. ..i believe you were going to try and get a link going with dun laoghaire?

Eurorunner,
    There seems to be about a half dozen people using the forum apart from that it is pretty static.. I have posted on it looking for information after an initially positive response I can't get answers about who to contact. My last posts put there almost two weeks ago are still some of the most recent. Other forums apart from the Dublin one maybe very active but the Dublin one I would consider quite static.

I have also contacted Irish Broadband about connecting to their new service being made available in Artane but each time I call them I get the same answer "it will be available in 4 weeks sorry for the delay", this has been the same response for the last few months.

Anybody got any ideas on an alternative on the nothside of dublin (Sutton/Bayside area) for broadband access at a reasonable price without resorting to getting an Eircom line ??

Well its worth the effort all the same. Look out for the next DublinWAN meeting. Do you have any gear to test with? If you can get your hands on some basic gear, then you could scan the area for ssids. A hundred yoyo would probalby be enough to get the basics and give it a go. Even if you cant get connected now, you will have the gear ready if someone sets up an access point closer to you.

As regards Irish Broadband, they always talk in terms of 'in 4 weeks'...

• Advertisement

I have no gear to test with but would be interested in getting some gear to see what is around. Can you recommend somewhere that I should look to purchase it? Would this gear be for testing only or would I be able to use it as a permanent connection if I do find a signal ?

The search continues.

Cionn

Dave Harlowe should be able to sort you out.
    Wireless networking gear for sale
    your best bet would be to login to irc.irishwan.org port 6667
    channel: #midwestwan
    have a chat with him...i'm sure he can get you all the gear (and info) you need to get you started.

Cheers thanks for that I will try to contact him on the IrishWAN forum as I don't have IRC access in the office and currently no dial up at home.

Cionn

Advertisement