Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software V Hardware Raid

Options
  • 30-04-2004 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

hi

i recently bought a P4P800 Deluxe board which has Sata and Raid 0 integrated into the south bridge.

Would this be a good option to take to improve performance instead of putting in a hardware Sata Raid controller

after all that....how does software raid match upto Hardware Raid???

Windoze XP
    2 X 80G Sata Baracudas
    P4P800 Deluxe
    1G PC3200 Mushkin Ram
    P4 2.53 Oc'd 2.93

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

That is a hardware RAID controller AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

there is a hardware ATA-133/100/66/33 RAID controller from VIA but the SATA one is software methinks....

just wanted to know if the software solution is reliable ....i seem to remember being told before to stay well clear of it...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

if RAID is advertised on the motherboard then i'd assume it's hardware raid. you can do software raid anyways, i had it up and running briefly on a PII motherboard under Red Hat. Think you can do it under Win 2K/XP too.

Advertisement