Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

repeaters and the driving test

Options
  • 30-04-2004 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

just lookin 4 peoples opinions on the driving test....
    Should people repeating driving tests have their applications processed quicker ("i e bumped up the Queue")?
    also does anyone know what questions are asked as regards the new "under the bonnet" section of the test
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by daggeredge
    just lookin 4 peoples opinions on the driving test....
    Should people repeating driving tests have their applications processed quicker ("i e bumped up the Queue")?
    also does anyone know what questions are asked as regards the new "under the bonnet" section of the test
    Cheers
    There won't be anything too technical in it. Know about the things that you can do without having to go to a garage and you'll be fine:
    How to check oil level
    How to top up oil.
    How to check/top up coolant.
    How to fill window washers.
    How to check brake fluid level (vehicle dependent)
    Location of battery & fuses.
    Location of jack, tools and spare wheel.
    How to change a wheel.

I don't know if they ask all of these things, but if you don't know how to do these things you shouldn't be driving IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

"under the bonnet" section ?

When did this come into effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

its only been in bout a month ..I no someone in work who had to do it but wanted to get full list of ceists just in case...i seem 2 b caught 4 everythin...theory test,new second provisional rule, bonnet test...by the time i get my full licence driving will be banned on public roads!(like smoking in pubs)posted somethin earlier as well bout waitin times drop mine went from 44 to 34 http://www.drivingtest.ie NOT a very well publicised site!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

No they should be made wait longer. You've had your chance. Others should also get theirs. Maybe reduce the queue for 1st tests to maximum 3-4 months wait. Fit repeaters in around that.

fair comment, although i think because people have been waiting i think that they're more likely to get it second time round (average pass rate on the website above is 51%)so if you got them people out of the way it would be easier for everyone else. And I'm aware that yes not everyone will get it second time round (note the phrasing ....I said more likely!)I take it that imposter hasn't either:
    1. gone for his test (in which case he could fail it & b in this position)
    or
    2.got his test and doesn't really care either way

• Advertisement

anyway more people are likely to fail if they know that they've to wait longer for a retest...I know it put a huge amount of pressure on me to pass because I knew I#d be in the position (this position) where i had to wait so long for another test....honestly the amount of bad habits i picked up is unreal since my test, purely because I didn't want to practice, It takes a lot of effort to get back on the horse I'm just fed up with the whole system
    anyboy fail their test who agrees with me?

I take it that imposter hasn't either:
    1. gone for his test (in which case he could fail it & b in this position)
    or
    2.got his test and doesn't really care either way
    The second one is nearer to the truth (got the test first time but not in Ireland) but I don't see how it is relevant to my opinion on your question! However your view is obviously in no way skewed by your circumstances!

Surely getting the first testers out of the way makes more sense as there's bound to be more of them (eventually at least) than people repeating?

I don't buy all this talk about being nervous. If you're nervous doing your test then you shouldn't be allowed to drive on your own. What are you likely to do when out on the road. If you're confident in your driving standard then you shouldn't be nervous and should get the test. That might sound a bit simplistic but I would imagine it holds true for at least 90% of people doing the test.

I'm sure u went into the test with all the confidence in the world !but I'm pretty sure most people have doubts about passing it!come on seriously!

I'm sure u went into the test with all the confidence in the world !but I'm pretty sure most people have doubts about passing it!come on seriously!
    No I was a little bit nervous, not so much about failing the test but more about doing something unbelieveably stupid that would deserve to fail the test, like crashing or something like that. A little nervous energy is good though. Being a fumbling wreck is not. I was probably more nervous in the first few weeks driving on my own after the test though.

ok once again fair comment...I take on board what you said.Thats what I meant about being nervous though, the whole crashing thing is a bit bad!
    alright thanks 4 the debate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is there anything to stop you applying for a test in a non-local centre?
    the wait in Athlone is only 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can apply to have your test in whatever centre you like. Unless its a truck test or something, they can only be done in certain centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Did the test in Finglas (yesterday actually - passed first time :) ) and there was no under the bonnet section of the test. And it wasn't just me either, they didn't ask anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

The 'under the bonnet' part was only on for a month back in February as a trial. It's not currently part of the routine.

You can apply to non-local centres and you can apply many times concurrently. For example apply for Athlone and Rathgar, get on the waiting lists for both, and if you fail the first you'll be well up the queue on the second. As long as you cancel within ten working days, you'll get your fee back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

did my test in carlow.. dont recommend it to anyone.. crappy town for the test.. failed first time so went to my local senetar and told him needed car for work and got cancellation week and a half later.. passed it then..

hey aodh_rua how do you know it was just a trial for a month? anyone done the under the bonnet part recently?
    So sick of waiting for the test now should come up in July hopefully
    DE

Anyone here actually who works for the dept of Env. or driving test center who could say whether or not the "under the bonnet test" is still on?
    also

anyone noticed the wait of the driving test decreasing?
    mine went from 44 to 34 (mallow)still a hell of a long wait though!

Advertisement