Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PRICK in UCD library

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

Originally posted by alleepally
    [B

'cmon now. No one turns around in a lecture and gives someone an earful without reason???

[/B]

True as god ! The guy derserved such a slap ! When thats the kinda thing you gotta contend with you could be forgiven for setting yourself apart from the rest of the student population !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Originally posted by m4cker
    ok a number of things have been said about superman here that i feel i must defend him on

Regardless of what the circumstances were (including the possibility of racism on the part of the librarian) calling the guy a prick and refusing to show id was a less than ideal way to respond to it. To my mind politely inquiring why you were being asked to leave for a 'first offence' and stating that you were not going to do it again then taking the issue up with a more senior librarian / the students union later on would have been better. No offence intended, but while I think the librarian was a bit over zealous, I just think you over reacted .

A couple of questions:

Was it obvious that you were the one who had started the conversation? (Did you walk over to him or something like that)

Was your friend told not to talk or asked to leave at any stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I went to a south dublin private school and still get irritated by the pricks that insist on talking for hours in the lib. Today for example was this one girl(who wasn't even attractive) who had at least two people with her for the hour I was there. At one point there were 8 there. Then there's the lads who don't realise that when you walk through the doors into the study areas that you should quieten down a wee bit.

just a little consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by uberwolf
    (who wasn't even attractive)
    Because otherwise it would be fine?

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

ok i been workin my ass off and i'm back to answer all the q's you have:

leeroybrown: if you use "Regardless of what the circumstances" i think the world would function, no my mate walked over to me desk! its not like I was throwin gang signs cross the way. Oh and my mate slyed off!

m4cker: I over react - what about when you beat spoirt over a shoe (in joke)

The cowboy guy is ok.

Dataisgod: a left seat is fair game for the takin!

magpie: every true gangsta rappa needs his degree in how to an ill freestyla! Chuccch! a.k.a BA English

Brigader:"I think it is time to act with a little bit of maturity and stop trying to be a gangster rapping mofo" yeah and IM the one casusing racial tension :)

neev: Yes i agree it was not 3 people, we were not laughing, we were having a quiet word less than a min a most.

I WAS NOT JIVE TALKIN!!!!:):):)

i have nothin against country boyo's* just thatr everyone knows who we talkin about when D4 and country is used ( * note i dont call them boggers)

thanks Draupnir and everyone who supports me, Sick and tired of all you other over-rule following folk. Time we all took it alot easier!!!

SHAAAMMOOOIIINN!!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He was talking in the library? HANG HIM!

fupping hell, serial chatters are one thing, but how are you supposed to communicate with people if you need/want to do something? sign language?

some of the libro-cops are a bunch ****ing humourless dickheads... the beardy wrestler one who holds the bar back for people and never moves from the entrance is alright though.

yeah the beard guy is ok, he knows its ONLY A LIBRARY!! and not mission control! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

aye he's sound and i've seen him help sort out books in the morning and stuff on the second floor, but maybe they all do this.

superman a empty sit is not necessarily fair game from the taking, if i found someone had taken my seat when i went to the jacks or to look up a few books or check my mail i'd go to town on them when i get back.

what i don't agree with though is people coming in at 9.00 in the morning and putting something like a refill pad and an apple down and swaning off to the odd lecture during the day, its more applicable near the end of term when lectures are still going on but you get the idea, if someone suddenly decided they sit at the lake for a few hours they should just pack up and leave

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

The saddest part of all of this is that the yappy f u c k writes the way he does and is doing a BA in English. Good Jaysus. WTF are they doing at UCD not failing this twat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

hey by any chance is Superman that guy from the C&E society?????

at the end of the day he was in the wrong......the exams are in progress and everyone is stressed and people talking in the library....regardless of what its about.....is distracting and inconsiderate. the "prick" was only doing his job. yea sure it might have been a bit extreme to kick him out but i find it very hard to believe that it was an unprovoked response!! he called him a prick ffs. besides the post says it all, he seems to have a major attitude.....regardless of what colour his skin is.

as for the D4 debate.......in my experience (as someone from the northside) i have friends from the northside and the country and northern ireland. the only group of ppl who are IMPOSSIBLE to talk to are the D4 heads. i have tried but i refuse to talk to ppl who look down on me because of where im from and what my father does. they say they hate the stereotype but they only make it worse by treating ppl the way they do. but one thing that will ALWAYS amaze me is........the accent!!!! where did it come from????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by Fozzy
    Librocop gave out to some lads for dragging someone around in a sleeping bag,
    we were doing that too. me and my mate went in locked, that was a great night.

sumperman, we gonna get that jive library turkey and teach him to show the brothas a little respect!!

boars is so full of squares, but i love it anyway:)

no superman is not that guy from C&E - there is more than one brotha in UCD ye know

also superman is not doing a BA english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Originally posted by ferdi
    we were doing that too. me and my mate went in locked, that was a great night.

Gotta live the dream!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

the only librocops i don't like are the fella with the bushy moustache and the other guy who looks like the tin man.

the other 2 guys, the fella with the beard and the bald guy who's not the tin man are quite alright, as is the chap who's in Earlsfort terrace. he never bothers anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by seamus
    That's the problem isn't Draupnir? These guys in the library have to listen to pompous little D4 pricks all day, treating them like ****, and generally looking down upon anybody who didn't have everything paid for by Mammy and Daddy, and who didn't have the good fortune of free college and low points so that every moron and waster who sits the Leaving Cert can have a crack, and fail, at getting an arts degree. While they're in UCD though, they think they're superior little ****bags.

Furthermore, students, you hang out in pubs spouting on as though you are some sort of expert on life despite the fact that you are still in school at the age of 21 and cannot even hold your subsidised drink which I b*stard well paid for out of my taxes THANK YOU VERY MUCH :D

(ripped off from Viz)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Superman

i thinks its cause i'm black he stopped me

Dya reckon? Maybe he just thought you were bringing down the tone of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

The asshole kicked me out for practically no reason, was talkin to a mate, didn't see him coming, when he came turned arround, he said get out, i said "i'll go back to readin", then he insisted on telling me to go, called him a prick, I started leaving and he called Nick a.k.a. librocop to come help him get my student card. I didn't give card to him. He then bullshootin on about how he will use CCTV to get name and all some crap about registrar. Told him to go get a real job.

He is the typical example of a worthless loser with a big EGO. Time people like him got a real jobs. I don't think "part-time library security" is a job. maybe for the retired or young but he is a grown man for god sake.

i thinks its cause i'm black he stopped me, jay-z (99 problems) says it the best:

"Cause i'm young and i'm black and my hats real low"
    You need a punch in the face.

I'm a postgrad student. I've paid €5,000 to attend my course and get the best Master's I can. But consistently throughout the year, pups like you have made my life a living hell.

Probably because the outside world is too taxing for you, your deficit in the required mental faculties make you psychologically incapable of comprehending that libraries are places students go to find peace and quiet to concentrate on their work. To concentrate on achieving the qualification they have paid for.

If I had my way, I'd throw you all out for being so selfish and inconsiderate.

I'm as fair-minded as the next person, but there's having a quick chat with a mate about a question or going to lunch and there's taking the piss.

And anyway, who the hell are you to make such ignorant, loutish and demeaning comments to the librocops. They do they're job, it's not exciting but they provide a service and enforce library rules that are there for a fair reason. I've never been kicked out or fined - hmm, maybe that's because I have respect for people who are entitled to get their work done. But I haven't any respect for the likes of you.

I suggest you take this as a warning and cop the hell on you dolt.

well said!!!

i find it hilarious the amount of D4 responses of "its just jealousy" or non-southsiders are "intimidated" by southsiders!!!

i pity these people im not intimidated by them. half of them are only in college as a bloody hobby anyway cos where will they end up at the end of the day??? working for daddy!

:D and im happy for them....cos if they actually had to try survive in the real world they wouldnt last a second! :D

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    I'm a postgrad student .... I've never been fined.

And don't get me started about you guys, Don't blink as often as normal people !! :)
    and stop being a square, get a fine !! Live life to the max! PEPSI MAX!!!

i'm only playin! keep up the good work and get a masters! I admire you, your out educating yourself and gettin ahead in the world, not like librocops :)

Dataisgod I agree, taking a seat is not a black and white issue (but getting kicked out was for me!) i think the 45 min rule is fair as it may take you 45 to get a few books, go to toilet and get a tea. I also despise the refill pad and apple people. specially near test time!, hows your tests goin?

peachypants, ferdi is right there is more than one brother in UCD! and that C&E guy is more of a Collen Powell style character if you ask me.

Ferdi I agree, Terrible things will be happening to poor ol' librocop over the summer ;) we will discuss more later.

REMEMBER D4 IS A STATE OF MIND AND NOT AN AREA CODE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Originally posted by peachypants
    i find it hilarious the amount of D4 responses of "its just jealousy" or non-southsiders are "intimidated" by southsiders!!!

Please... don't group all southsiders into D4! I feel sick at the thought! ;)

i've a mate who lives in ringsends, its D4, but barely, more like the arsehole of D4, i slag him, it amuses me, that is all

data

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

you broke the rules, he caught you, you should have kept your mouth shut and left

dont get all emotional about something so trivial
    called him a prick, I started leaving and he called Nick a.k.a. librocop to come help him get my student card. I didn't give card to him. He then bullshootin on about how he will use CCTV to get name and all some crap about registrar. Told him to go get a real job.

sounds like you pulled a real hissy fit, and in front of the whole library too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

wtf, muppet !
    1)Your not ment to talk in the library
    2)Secondly hes incharge, if he asks u to leave, leave.
    3) Ure in ucd

1+2+3 : ure wrong.
    no offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

this thread gives the impression thats is nothing more than a temper tantrum...its not going to last long if it keeps going in its presant direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Placebo is quite right, if you were right you wouldn't be in UCD in the first place. It's always amazing to me that UCD students think they're in a position to look down on anyone. Really. It's not as if you're going to a real university anyway. You're several steps down on the social ladder from librarians, binmen, drug dealers, child molesters and priests. Get over it.

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    Really. It's not as if you're going to a real university anyway

Care to justify that there slutmonkey? or are you just going to post random insults?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Dadakopf is the only one who's hit the nail on the head! There *are* some people in UCD (and every other uni) who are there to study, not to throw shapes with their mates and drink cheap beer all day, and also there are people like him who are paying for their courses and have to put up with little ****s like superman nattering in the library!
    In the college I went to, you got thrown out of the library and banned for a week if you have a conversation in the main library or your phone rang. I mean FFS if you need to collaborate with someone on college work, there are side rooms in libraries for that sort of thing!

And superman, it sounds like YOU'RE the prick, there's no need to verbally abuse a member of staff for doing his job, and I wonder has he reported the incident to your head of school? I hope he has. You know, you're supposed to be an adult entering university, and if you can't get a point across without verbally abusing someone, i'm amazed you've lasted in UCD this long!

Care to justify that there slutmonkey? or are you just going to post random insults?

insult ?
    Highest Science Faliure rate ! most of the muppets usually end up there, in UCD.
    Its full of muppets.

Originally posted by Placebo
    insult ?
    Highest Science Faliure rate ! most of the muppets usually end up there, in UCD.
    Its full of muppets.

well i'm glad i'm breaking the mould by passing. like any college there are muppets in ucd but to classify everyone that studies there as a muppet is ridiculous.

however before you jump down our throats with stupid comments like "highest science failure rate" you should take it into context.

ucd has the most places in science of any college in the country and recently increased the number of spaces even more. the result of this is that the points for the course are lower then most in the country.

a consequence of this more people get into the course that are not able for it in the first place and then as a result of that you get the expected drop outs. the number of points of the course don't reflect its difficulty only the number of places available

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

wtf, muppet !
    1)Your not ment to talk in the library
    2)Secondly hes incharge, if he asks u to leave, leave.
    3) Ure in ucd

1+2+3 : ure wrong.
    no offence.

LOL, I love your reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'm on the side of the security guard. What an attitude. Superman you sound like a complete ignorant snob. Not to bright either to be talking in the library and then to post this on the boards in the first place. That maybe complete wrong but thats the impression your giving.

• Advertisement

well i'm glad i'm breaking the mould by passing. like any college there are muppets in ucd but to classify everyone that studies there as a muppet is ridiculous.

however before you jump down our throats with stupid comments like "highest science failure rate" you should take it into context.

ucd has the most places in science of any college in the country and recently increased the number of spaces even more. the result of this is that the points for the course are lower then most in the country.

a consequence of this more people get into the course that are not able for it in the first place and then as a result of that you get the expected drop outs. the number of points of the course don't reflect its difficulty only the number of places available

data

My experience with them havent been good, plus i hear alot from other people.I choose to believe that place is full of idiots. Ofcourse Not every one is a muppet.
    Its a massive college, where a MASSIVE amount of people go to, huge arts department aswell, which leads to most of them being down to earth idiots.

stupid comments

Yeah my comment is stupid, your words of wisdom although are blossoming of Smartness.

smart.

huge arts department aswell, which leads to most of them being down to earth idiots.

well of course they're arts students :). but you can't classify 20,000 students as muppets/idiots due to your interactions with what i can presume are only a small number of them. i would say your experience with the type of people you met haven't been good the fact due to the type of people they are that they go to ucd is irrelevant you'll find the muppets in trinity and what not as well. have to say i find most people in science fairly sound don't get as much of that snobby D4 type in it to much work for em.

yes superman shouldn't have called the library guy a prick or any of that and yes he shouldn't have been talking but the library guard shouldn't have been so hasty to kick him out. a simple will you head back to your seat would be sufficient. then if superman gives him any cheek he should throw him out

data

yeah, sorry, probably not the right choice of words from my part.
    :)

yeah, sorry, probably not the right choice of words from my part.
    :)

tis all good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Incidentally the accent is also known as "West Brit" . Not of any relevence, but a bit of trivia for you.

insult ?
    Its full of muppets.

Haha, yeah, I'm doing a Science degree, the points were very low, I actually got 165 more than I needed. And there are a lot of people doing that course that aren't able for it, they only got in because of the low points. We were told in one subject that you should have got a B2 in higher level maths for the leaving if you are doing that subject, and not many people with 280 points will have got a B2 in honours maths!

There are a lot of pricks in UCD though, not so much in science as in arts, I've found. They can piss me off quite a bit sometimes, I don't know why I let it get to me though. Feckin socialists....

We were told in one subject that you should have got a B2 in higher level maths for the leaving if you are doing that subject

maths physics or maths was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

yes superman shouldn't have called the library guy a prick or any of that and yes he shouldn't have been talking but the library guard shouldn't have been so hasty to kick him out.

Somehow, I'd be hesitant to accept Superman's view as totally unbiased...

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    maths physics or maths was it?

Twas maths physics.

• Advertisement

Twas maths physics.

aye that was my original thought, funny think i found with maths physics in 1st year was that i though cox's stuff was real hard at the start of the year and i was delighted to have duffy's stuff to bring me through but as the exams got closer i found cox's stuff easier and that duffy's stuff could by more tricky.

ah well just reminiscing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i ****ing hate the way knobs like you take up all the space in the library when you're not even studing
    its the middle of the exams ffs, keep your mouth shut for two weeks at least :rolleyes:

I aint no west brit,
    I aint doin arts,
    I aint doin science,
    I just don't like the librocop and his EGO about silence, like if he said ok when I turned around and went back to readin it would be grand,
    I'd say it was just slow day for him and needed to entertain his monkey brain!

Oh by the way, it was the guy with the thick glass's and lots of grey hair, he walks with a bit of a hunch.Did I mention he is about 46 and married a 25 yr post grad, I know his brother in law!

hey mods! I say you end this post cause is gone extremly off topic!

and I love the great attitde some folks have:
    UCD is full of muppets, failures.

i think its best not to judge a person till you meet them, this makes you a nicer person.

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    aye that was my original thought, funny think i found with maths physics in 1st year was that i though cox's stuff was real hard at the start of the year and i was delighted to have duffy's stuff to bring me through but as the exams got closer i found cox's stuff easier and that duffy's stuff could by more tricky.

ah well just reminiscing :)

Same way I'm finding it really, but I didn't pay much attention the term after Christmas, and Cox's test on Thursday was the toughest exam I've ever done. I'm going to have to study loads of Duffy's stuff now to pull me through.

Ah well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

And don't get me started about you guys, Don't blink as often as normal people !! :)
    and stop being a square, get a fine !! Live life to the max! PEPSI MAX!!!

i'm only playin! keep up the good work and get a masters! I admire you, your out educating yourself and gettin ahead in the world, not like librocops :)

Dataisgod I agree, taking a seat is not a black and white issue (but getting kicked out was for me!) i think the 45 min rule is fair as it may take you 45 to get a few books, go to toilet and get a tea. I also despise the refill pad and apple people. specially near test time!, hows your tests goin?

peachypants, ferdi is right there is more than one brother in UCD! and that C&E guy is more of a Collen Powell style character if you ask me.

Ferdi I agree, Terrible things will be happening to poor ol' librocop over the summer ;) we will discuss more later.

REMEMBER D4 IS A STATE OF MIND AND NOT AN AREA CODE!

I've got to give you props for the way you managed to link two different trains of thought together in a way i saw coming but still smirked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Incidentally the accent is also known as "West Brit" . Not of any relevence, but a bit of trivia for you.

Oh boy, i was at this 21st and a trinity 'west brit' was at it and even while drunk he sang british songs with his arm going to and fro like a sailor.

• Advertisement

peachypants, ferdi is right there is more than one brother in UCD!

emmm i think i'm aware of that thank you very much.....i was simply asking because judging from ur posts u seem to have a similar attitude to that guy. i was in no way suggesting that you are the only black person in UCD.

anyway lads at the end of the day the southsider/northsider debate could go on forever but wont get us anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Cox's test on Thursday was the toughest exam I've ever done. I'm going to have to study loads of Duffy's stuff now to pull me through.
    Been there. Last year we thought modelling would be easy, going on the past papers. Ah!! Ah!! ah... the pain. Twas not good. They must have marked it on a curve as so many people who were convinced they failed maths phys (myself included), actually passed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

UCD is full of muppets, failures.
    Just you pet, just you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

but you can't classify 20,000 students as muppets/idiots due to your interactions with what i can presume are only a small number of them. i would say your experience with the type of people you met haven't been good the fact due to the type of people they are that they go to ucd is irrelevant you'll find the muppets in trinity and what not as well.

I can and I just did. Trinity does unfortunantly have the occasional muppet but at least they knew better than to go to UCD. I mean, really.

West brits singing british songs eh? How evil! You'd never catch Irish people singing british songs. Like Oasis. Or Auld Lang Syne. Or the Beatles or the Stones or the Kinks or.... umm.. yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

this guy is not black. Its obvious.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement