Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Suggestion) Personal Finances forum.

Options
  • 30-04-2004 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Neither a Finance (for those with no problems who want to chew the economic cud ) nor a Personal Issue forum (if your pinky is where it should be and not a lurid shade of green)

A Personal Finances forum.

I had the thought when it was pointed out elsewhere that AAM was down. It has established a niche in that particular sphere .

The reason I am suggesting one for Boards is that certain issues are of a nature where the answer may be best sent by PM . It may or may not be useful and may die a death and be deleted but it could be of asistance to de members, especialy if de members are in the monetary doghouse.

M
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Good idea, (as long as there is a big sticker slapped over the front of the forum stating that it's not a substitute for professional advice).

Things like mortgaging tips / investment advice would also be well served by a dedicated forum. At the moment such discussions tend to be spread about forums like rip-off ireland and Economics.

davej

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Why does this not fit in Business / Economy / Finance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Then again the B E F forum could be renamed to B E F Issues or rename it to B E and create a F Issues folder. ?

There is nothing wrong with the BEF forum as it is except that it is not clear if it is an opinion or advice forum or both .

M

I think you'll get useful responses in there if you try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Traffic levels indicate that they 'try' elsewhere (not on Boards) thoughts ?

M

• Advertisement

So you're not actually looking for somewhere to post yourself, you've just spotted this gap? I'd be inclined to look for a few more takes on this or the opinion of the BEF mod. When I wanted to get a bit of advice on saving it was the first place I thought of and I got a few useful replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think BEF covers it quite well. There is nothing that a Personal Finance board could cover that BEF can't IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Yes, I think you are missing Muck's point. There may be an opportunity to capture some new users/traffic which presumably goes elsewhere at the moment.

"Money Matters" or "Financial Issues" perhaps?

davej

They might be going elsewhere, but there's no point in creating gimmicky forums if we don't have a clear idea of why people aren't using the forum that's provided. It may turn out that there's a completely different reason for it.

We're not in the business of creating or keeping forums just because they get a lot of use. The recent action upon the Soccer forum shows that. Better to have a low traffic forum that's useful IMO.

Advertisement