Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a prob with remote assistance

Options
  • 30-04-2004 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has used "Remote assistance" in Xp as I am trying to use it to connect to a mates computer with out any luck. IT seems fairly straight forward he sent me the mail iviting me to connect along with the password but when I try to connect I get
    "Remote assistance connection could not be established because the remote host name could not be resolved"

Is this down to anyone thing (firewall etc) or could it be a multitude of things

Also I tried to send him an ivation but got "Your current system settings prevent you from sending an ivation"
    Even though I am logged in as a computer admin

Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Do you have your remote assistance service disabled? That would stop you sending him an invitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Not sure Stephen, all I can say is when I go into programs menu and click on "remote assistance" it open's up but when i go to invite i get that msg. How do I find out if it is disabled
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

start > run > services.msc

That should pop up a list of your system services. Have a look through it for Remote Assistance and check its properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

there is a couple of way to send a invtation but for 1 way you need windows messenger 4.7 installed.
    you doing this across broadband?
    have do it across dial-up and it is dog slow. :rolleyes:
    contol panal > Administrative tools > Services > Remote Desktop Help Session Manager.
    Set it to manual that way it will only start if it need to be started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Ditch it and just use VNC, PCAnywhere, Netsupport Manager.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help lads, Fatherdougalmag someone else suggest vnc might give it a go
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

come back and report if you get VNC to work, will ya?

Will do, the only thing when I d/l from vnc's site the version I d/l has no Help files but will let you know how it goes

Advertisement