Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie in the press

Options
  • 30-04-2004 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

IT Business section today:
    Debaters invited on to Web to tread the Boards.ie

Net Results Karlin Lillington

Boards.ie is nothing if not entertaining. Even if you don't want to vent your anger at Eircom, purchase a used PC monitor, discuss your rabbit's feeding requirements or argue about the merits of early versus late Van Morrison recordings, it's great fun to drop in on those who are passionate about these subjects and a plethora of others.

The website is a little microcosm - a whole range of interests of the Irish population boiled down into a range of daily discussions. It's one of the things I really like about this bulletin board site.

You can register and use the site for free and it's not just computer freaks or a buy-and-sell market or a film or music fan zone, it's a bit of everything, from social and political discussions to natters between hobbyists and enthusiasts of all sorts.

Personally, I enjoy reading the "prison" section, which comes under the "admin" menu on the site. That's where the moderators of the site send all the people they ban from the boards.

They're allowed to vent their spleen in prison, and it all makes for some pretty entertaining (and unexpurgated) reading - in a weird and twisted way - over your late morning coffee and biscuits break - in a weird and twisted way.

The Boards.ie site has also tried some unusual experiments. For example, there's a "commercial" section, where online merchants can open up a bulletin board shop.

The idea is that they can tell board users about special deals - but in exchange, they are thrown into the fray of discussion about their company and its products and services. It is customer service writ large - where everyone can view every exchange between company and consumer.

I'd imagine this can be terrifying but it also means buyers can choose merchants based on others' opinions and the response of the merchant to queries, problems and praise (there's a mix of all for each of the brave companies who've put themselves both online and on the line).

Now DeVore (the online name for the man who is the Grand Poobah and one of the founders of the site) has put into action an idea he had several months ago: an online debate section for Boards.ie.

Called "Debate!", the idea is to have a set of teams debate a topic of general interest, with a set of judges looking on and following the verbal cut and thrust.

Simultaneously, any Boards.ie member can comment on the debate in a separate area and heckle, cheer and generally add to the atmosphere.

There are three sections: one called "Ethos", a judges-only section where others can read what the judges say, but not post themselves; a "Logos" section, in which the actual, formal debate takes place among the teams; and "Pathos", the section open to the public for its say.

I've been getting some first-hand experience because DeVore asked me and my colleague, Sunday Tribune technology columnist Fergus Cassidy, to join him as judges for the very first debate.

The topic is: "That the government should compromise regarding the banning of smoking from pubs."

You can find it at: http://tinyurl. com/ytnfy (tinyurl.com is a very useful site that lets you reduce cumbersome urls into little trim ones).

It's been a fascinating experience and has worked much more entertainingly and efficiently than I would have guessed.

I had wondered if anyone would be interested in such a format - but the debate has a modest and enthusiastic audience for this first run of the idea.

Page reads for each contribution of the arguments have numbered between 60-ish to more than 200, and there's a pretty good discussion happening over in the Pathos section.

Some of the Pathos comments come from seasoned debaters who are picking apart the tactics of the teams, while others are offering opinions on the actual arguments made in the submissions from the teams.

While I am enjoying following the team arguments, I like this vox populi aspect.

Indeed, the whole idea of an online debate plays well to the strengths of the Web - it brings together communities; it fosters discussion, argument, strong feelings; and it lets anyone into the fray.

I like the fact that the formal debate format offers discipline and structure to the rough and tumble that normally happens on bulletin boards (and is sometimes a turn-off) while still allowing commentary from the sidelines.

This makes an online debate work very well - in contrast to the Guardian newspaper's occasional email debate between two people that it prints in full in its opinion section.

Although the debaters and topics are often very engaging, the back and forth tennis-game aspect of print makes it all a bit of a yawn.

The internet allows for that crucial element of a debate, interactivity. You are able to dive in and experience the debate as it is happening, rather than once it is all wrapped up and over.

We judges will have passed judgment on the teams and the debate will have drawn to a close by today, but the debate is there for viewing.

And DeVore has promised more to come.

Check it out - you might want to dive in yourself the next time around.

klillington@irish-times.ie http://weblog.techno-culture.com

© The Irish Times
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

brilliant to see boards getting positive exposure like this. Had to laugh at the prison board getting a mention :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally written by Karlin Lillington
    I've been getting some first-hand experience because DeVore asked me and my colleague

I'm shocked at her poor grammar! :eek: (Sorry Karlin if you're reading this) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭karlin

Heh! I am reading it! And the grammar is correct: one does not say, "DeVore asked my colleague and I," if that is what you are suggesting. Why? Because I am the recipient of the action, so to speak, and therefore the pronoun functions as a direct object in the sentence, not as the subject. One would not say:

"DeVore asked I to join him as a judge."

Because "I" is the personal pronoun used as a subject.

"Me" is the personal pronoun used as an object.

So... "I've been getting some first-hand experience because DeVore asked me and my colleague, Sunday Tribune technology columnist Fergus Cassidy, to join him as judges for the very first debate."

However there is a clause repeated twice in the piece because a subeditor didn't cut it! (NB: always blame a subeditor.)

Karlin

PS: I taught English as a second language, and university level English grammar and composition, for a couple of years. But I still get things wrong. :rolleyes: However not in this case. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Thanks for the great article Karlin - going to go pick myself up a copy now :)

I can feel a break of the "Total Number of Users Online" record soon.

All the best,

John.
    --

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Originally posted by mr_angry
    I'm shocked at her poor grammar! :eek: (Sorry Karlin if you're reading this) ;)

oh the irony

• Advertisement

Personally I would have used "myself and my colleague...", but then again I'm not, nor have I ever been an English teacher. In fact, I'm probably pretty stupid, but I just love arguing irrelevant points!

:)

Well done on the write-up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Cloud

I can feel a break of the "Total Number of Users Online" record soon.

--

Hoards of Irish Times readers...oh dear! :p;) Still great piece of PR - will the server hold out?

"She canna take anymore DeVore!"

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Good to see boards.ie getting some recognition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

Great publicity :)
    Originally posted by karlin
    Heh! I am reading it! And the grammar is correct: one does not say, "DeVore asked my colleague and I," if that is what you are suggesting.<snip>
    EXACTLY! Nobody believes me even when I tell them you'd never say "He asked I" of "He asked Bri and I" - it's "He asked Bri and me".

Mother always corrects with with "The king and I", no matter how many times I tell her that that's out of context. Either she just doesn't listen or she doesn't 'get' the concept of context. I think both. :dunno:

But back on topic: go Boards :)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Cool. If I recall correctly - this is the second time boards has been in the papers? DeV's evil face and hair were plastered for all to see.

Nice one on the article.

Karlin, please fell free to write all about me next time you write an article.

Me thank you much good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Heh! I am reading it! And the grammar is correct: one does not say, "DeVore asked my colleague and I," if that is what you are suggesting. Why? Because I am the recipient of the action, so to speak, and therefore the pronoun functions as a direct object in the sentence, not as the subject.
    Thanks for writing that - it saved me getting all anal.

mr_angry - you're guilty of a hypercorrection - making a mistake by trying to avoid a mistake:) Like Bryan Adams in the first two lines of Run To You.

Nice writeup by Karlin - it's always nice to be mentioned in the homes of the Great Washed.

Originally posted by sceptre
    mr_angry - you're guilty of a hypercorrection - making a mistake by trying to avoid a mistake:) Like Bryan Adams in the first two lines of Run To You.

Cool! :)

Someone clearly pushed my 'anally retentive' button on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

English, is a language that is alive and forever changing. Who has the right to state what is correct or incorrect. Let it develop and change as it will. Thats it's attraction.

sceptre,

Quote; " It's always nice to be mentioned in the homes of the Great Washed " end quote. :confused: Are you suggesting that only citizens who wash bother to read The Irish Times. For the sake of there circulation figures I sincerely hope you are wrong on this assumption . Especially on a Sunday morning ?...

P.

N.B. Excuse grammatical errors. I blame the proofreaders ;) .

Originally posted by Paddy20
    sceptre,

Quote; " It's always nice to be mentioned in the homes of the Great Washed " end quote. :confused: Are you suggesting that only citizens who wash bother to read The Irish Times. For the sake of there circulation figures I sincerely hope you are wrong on this assumption ?....:p

P.
    Er, no, but thanks for playing.

It's a contrast to the term "the great unwashed"[1]. Sort of an accurate hoi polloi.

[1]... which obviously has nothing to do with anyone's cleaning schedule either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Er, I see Elitist, Hmmmm.

Oh, and an excellent and well deserved write-up, PR piece which can only do good.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Personally, I enjoy reading the "prison" section, which comes under the "admin" menu on the site. That's where the moderators of the site send all the people they ban from the boards.

They're allowed to vent their spleen in prison, and it all makes for some pretty entertaining (and unexpurgated) reading - in a weird and twisted way - over your late morning coffee and biscuits break - in a weird and twisted way.
    I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I didn't get a mention? Wtf?

Originally posted by Kold
    I didn't get a mention? Wtf?
    Net Results Karlin Lillington

Boards.ie is nothing if not entertaining. Even if you don't want to vent your anger at Eircom, purchase a used PC monitor, discuss your rabbit's feeding requirements or argue about the merits of early versus late Van Morrison recordings, it's great fun to drop in on those who are passionate about these subjects and a plethora of others.

The website is a little microcosm - a whole range of interests of the Irish population boiled down into a range of daily discussions. It's one of the things I really like about this bulletin board site.

You can register and use the site for free and it's not just computer freaks or a buy-and-sell market or a film or music fan zone, it's a bit of everything, from social and political discussions to natters between hobbyists and enthusiasts of all sorts. And I really must mention that there's a guy on boards.ie called Kold and he's only hilarious. I'll bet he has the girls forming a line for even a quick grin and a flick of his floppy hair in their direction. Quite a feat for a guy who was living under a bridge and terrorising little Billy Goats Gruff only a few short months ago. He's quite a man (cue theme from Hart to Hart).

Happy now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭karlin

Someone clearly pushed my 'anally retentive' button on Friday.

I am wondering, but don't think I really want to know, where such a button is located...

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I am wondering, but don't think I really want to know, where such a button is located...

Oh yes you do, g'wan you do! :D You'll need a small torch.....:ninja:

Mike.

Wow. I'm just SO glad I started off this whole thing. *sigh*

Oops - looks like it may have kicked in again. Can I just explain for everybody's benefit that I was in no way implying that the term "I" should have replaced the term "me". That is not what I meant. I personally would have expected the term "myself" instead of "me". Maybe that's me being hypersuperdupercorrective again, but its what I would have done. Of course, by continuing this whole debate, you can tell that I have absolutely no sense. Feel free to direct your continued ridicule here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The floppy hair is gone since 2 weeks ago :ninja: the girls seem to prefer it short

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

There is actually a nerve ending just on the anterior side of the rectum that might qualify........

Wow. I'm just SO glad I started off this whole thing. *sigh*

Compared to Victor and Yoda you're an amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Originally posted by Gordon
    Cool. If I recall correctly - this is the second time boards has been in the papers? DeV's evil face and hair were plastered for all to see.

I have that pinned up on my wall :)

Originally posted by syke
    There is actually a nerve ending just on the anterior side of the rectum that might qualify........

You know too much Syke. Too much...

You know too much Syke. Too much...

Thats nothing, when I close my eyes at night, the nightmares REALLY come....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

BANANA'S!!!!

• Advertisement

Is that an apostrophe I see in there Asok? Tsk tsk. :D:p

Advertisement