Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple question

Options
  • 30-04-2004 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Right lads goin to buy battlefield today, the question is though should I go for the classic 1942 which i play in net cafes a lot or go for nam(is it better)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Panzer81

I'd say that depends on price.
    If 1942 is still pricey and you can run Nam well...
    If you're into 1942 mods, the game has a long life. DC and all that.
    Vietnam is less likely to run in many net cafes or on some people's PCs at LAN parties but it is very good and if the mod community get behind it, we'll all be singing.

In spite of the inprovements made to nam, I'd have to say that I'd be 50:50 when giving advice on it but I bought Nam on release and I've had hours of online fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Well i should be able to run nam very well but how is it over 56k cause i cant get bb at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Panzer81

Now, that may be a problem.
    There's a very small number of people on teh viet-navan server who have 56k and they have put in a few hours but you can bet they've been praying to just about any god that'll listen for broadband. You'd be best off asking them about it but there's been rare disconnections while flying the transport helicopter (we saw the funny side eventually) and even pings that have hit 999+.

I know a guy who's using a 56k actually, he has been able to play a bit but obviously this BB-centric world isn't perfect for you.
    You live in a small town somewhere don't you. And Eircom don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

56k and Vietnam is fine for me and many others. Sure you ged the odd lag spike once or twice during the game but nothing bad.

Easily playable on 56k.

Get both ;)
    Vietnam is the newer of the two and so has more potential with new mods [CiS and Tiberan Aftermath] and will last a lot longer. 1942 has the bonus of DesertCobmat [but if your 56k its a long 600mb download or CD form someone].

yes on all counts, but eircom said they loved me, would they lie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by tba
    eircom said they loved me, would they lie?

yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

there is the deluxe edition of the original BF as well knocking about that has the roads to rome expansion in it, but i agree with winters get both.

however if your getting it to play online with say the people from boards we are mainly playing vietnam these days i think with some dc on monday nights.

if your on 56k i can sort ya out with the v1.6 bf patch and the dc mod if ya want

data

its all right I have a disk with both of them on it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by tba
    Well i should be able to run nam very well but how is it over 56k cause i cant get bb at home?

I personally find Vietnam works better than 1942 on my 56k.

Advertisement