Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walk the capital this weekend?

• 30-04-2004 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Anybody going to be around this weekend?

I wont, I dont want to be caught in anything messy if it starts.

Will you be in Dublin for the accession 17 votes

Yes I fear no hippy with his stick
    0% 0 votes
    No their fluffy hair make me itchy
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

Do you guys really think it's gonna be that bad ? I can't imagine letting a wee protest stop me from taking my daily stroll through central Dublin ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

walk it. walk it hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Here's to the Gardai,
    give those crusty FIGHT TEH POWAR!! rejects another good kicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Originally posted by IDM
    Do you guys really think it's gonna be that bad ? I can't imagine letting a wee protest stop me from taking my daily stroll through central Dublin ...

No freakin way am I going in. I hear that they're bringing in british cops to assist in the aul ass-kickin. Might just up and leave the country for the weekend and head to sunny Mexico. Or I could go in with a camera and make my own version of "cops" only more along the lines of "Riot cops"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I wouldn't go into dublin, if some twats decide to kick off, I hope the guards/army kick **** out of them. Nothing wrong with a peacefull protest, but if people are going to **** about well then....

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

Reckon it's gonna be a mess all weekend ? I live in town so can't really avoid it. Might just have to beat up some muppet protesters on the way to the supermarket ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The army is on stand by for this, that's for certain.

bring on the pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'll be setting up a stall and handing out sticks, €10 a pop and €2 per nail.

Yea, there's a post on the political board saying that they are going to be equipped with live ammo..... GET IN!

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

mayday is a day for workers. it is not an excuse for dissident anarchist groups to cause riots nor is it an excuse for the gardai to use excessive force. i hope that both the gardai and the protestors carry out their business in an orderly fashion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

The army is on stand by for this, that's for certain.

yup, and I have it on good authority that some members of the FCA have been given live ammo and put on alert in their barracks...

I wont go in, I look too much like a hippy, so if things kick off I'd be first to feel the funk. But i doubt it will be as bad as the sun wants us to think it will, saying that, I hope any Cop giving unfair beatings like last time gets caught (and maybe even punished for once...:rolleyes: )

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by flogen
    yup, and I have it on good authority that some members of the FCA have been given live ammo and put on alert in their barracks...
    Untrue. The only RDF involvement will be in taking over the guarding of barracks if the PDF are ordered to go out on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

tomorrow will be another example of irish over-kill

5000 cops,2000 soldiors, 2 water cannon.

give me a break

spend the money on education, health, housing

stupid government

edit/i will be going in, there was a great party atmosphere on mayday 2001 till the cops lost the plot

REMEMBER:descent and protest is the right of every citizen in a democracy

more info here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

maybe your right, barry. I just heard from a friend of mine who is ex-FCA (and part of 8 people in his group that are well trained in arms) that the 7 left would get live ammo... unless theyre getting it so to guard the barracks... :S

I dunno... just what I heard...

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

In the immortal words of Chief Wiggum..."get ya billyclubs boys....we're going to have a good ole fashioned hippy whomping......"

Hope they pummel those anarchists good. btw isnt all the anarchists going to one place to do the same thing kinda contradicting what they stand for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

the guards held their briefing in the helix in dcu today, there were thousands of the them around, caught alot of their talk just walkin behind them, they don't want it to pass peacefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

ferdi's right about the great atmosphere in the 2001 mayday protests,

I just happened to be about town that day, forgot completely what day it was and stumbled across the protest, great aul atmosphere...

then i saw the cops go fukkin nuts for no good reason and lay into the crowd, it was horrific to see it only a couple of metres away...

if the cops dont show some restraint 2mo, there'll be killings...
    that said the people whose objective it is to cause a riot should be punished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

so eh any chance of me getting out to ucd tomorrow from over near the phoenix park? i'm serious

buses runing or what, would it be ok as i plan on leaving early e.g 7.30-8.00?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

yeah and they have a few dive bombers on standby too..... :rolleyes:

firing.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Ummm, "dive bombers", Nuttzz? I think it's fair to say that that's a bit of an over-reaction. I'd hardly call Air Corps Marchetti SF260 Warriors "dive bombers". The most they can be armed with are 7.62 mm cannon pods or SNEB freefall rocket pods under the wings. Not exactly a WW-II Junkers Stuka or anything of the sort, Nuttzz. Besides, chances are they'll probably only really be used in their "utility" role for observation of what's going on over the city. Not to come screaming out of the sky to the strains of Wagner's "The Valkeyries" strafing all the "great unwashed" hippy-folk! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

ya reckon aidan, according to this thread the bloody thirsty Irish Army are ready to murder irish citizens, despite their world famous peace keeping rep.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1588415#post1588415

ya know what i mean.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

make a weekend of it!!! march on saturday, croke park for the galway V kerry game sunday!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

They've got soldiers with anit-aircraft missiles surrounding the airport.

Sure you've got every head of state in Europe in the Pheonix Park - of course they're going to be armed to the teeth. To be honest though, I really don't think they're too bothered about the home-grown hippies - it's the imported one's they're more concerned with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    so eh any chance of me getting out to ucd tomorrow from over near the phoenix park? i'm serious buses runing or what, would it be ok as i plan on leaving early e.g 7.30-8.00?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157419

Be aware there are restrictions at Hanlon's Corner as well as in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by flogen
    maybe your right, barry. I just heard from a friend of mine who is ex-FCA (and part of 8 people in his group that are well trained in arms) that the 7 left would get live ammo... unless theyre getting it so to guard the barracks... :S

I dunno... just what I heard...

Flogen

Soldiers on guard duty in barracks ALWAYS have live ammunition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Victor
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157419

Be aware there are restrictions at Hanlon's Corner as well as in town.

cheers victor, i never really got going this morning, ah well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Why cant protesters protest on the footpath? They hold up traffic, which is a pain in the ass for everyone. Shouldn't they be trying to get the public on their side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Blisterman
    Why cant protesters protest on the footpath? They hold up traffic, which is a pain in the ass for everyone. Shouldn't they be trying to get the public on their side.
    Afaik, if they're intentionally blocking traffic the Gardaí can tell them to move on, and arrest them if they don't comply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Blisterman
    Why don't the have the Paddies Day parade on the footpath? As best as I can see, official events are causing a lot more disruption than unofficial ones.

• Advertisement

AHAHHAAH

Beat down the protesters..... apparently some of them will be at a special sitting of clover hill court tonight.

John

Advertisement