Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2-Way SMS application

• 30-04-2004 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone explain how 2-way SMS applications, such as a voting application, handle bulk receiving SMSs?

Is it just a case of a dedicated gsm modem/phone and that the operator handles queueing and delivery to the device attached to the applicaitons server or is there a more elegant solution? Is it necessary to have a direct TCP/IP connection to the SMSC for this type of app and what is the procedure for getting this up and running in Ireland?

How does this work in relation to premium numbers?

Cheers,

lph (Sonic)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by lphchild
    Is it just a case of a dedicated gsm modem/phone and that the operator handles queueing and delivery to the device attached to the applicaitons server or is there a more elegant solution?
    It can be as basic as a dedicated GSM modem/phone or a direct connection into an SMSC over SMPP.
    Is it necessary to have a direct TCP/IP connection to the SMSC for this type of app and what is the procedure for getting this up and running in Ireland?
    No, as I said you could just have a GSM modem/phone attached to a server or workstation.

Additionally, many service providers out there (including my firm) can handle this and then simply build a HTTP bridge to your site/server, so that you only have to deal with a HTTP request whenever an SMS comes in.
    How does this work in relation to premium numbers?
    On a technical level, in much the same way, although there are a number of added layers of complexity with regard to billing, in particular with the advent of cross-network number transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Cheers for that Corinthian..

(Cheers for moving to right forum!)

How does a gsm modem/phone handle large volumes of received SMSs?

I mean is there a special arrangement you need to have with the operator whom your reply to number belongs to in order to handle many SMS coming in to that one number at the same time, and the queueing of same?

Is the direct connection into an SMSC over SMPP a better method of dealing with bulk received SMSs and what kind of arrangement does one have to have with the operator?Costly?

Sorry about all the questions!

Sonic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by lphchild
    How does a gsm modem/phone handle large volumes of received SMSs?
    It cues them, so you would poll it continually.
    I mean is there a special arrangement you need to have with the operator whom your reply to number belongs to in order to handle many SMS coming in to that one number at the same time, and the queueing of same?
    No. Of course, it also depends on what you mean by ‘many SMS’ (a bit like Web hosts that promise ‘unlimited’ bandwidth, I suppose).
    Is the direct connection into an SMSC over SMPP a better method of dealing with bulk received SMSs and what kind of arrangement does one have to have with the operator?Costly?
    It depends on your volume. If you’re not a tier 2 telco or service provider it’s probably not worth your while. Depending on the operator and how you approach them it can be very costly however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

That's brilliant :-)

Saved me a world of pain and confirmed the approach my project uses <phew!!>

I found it very difficult to research these particular questions - the help's much appreciated....

Sonic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

If you're trying to work out the numbers it takes about 6-10 seconds to send or receive an SMS on a GSM modem. It can only do one at a time - so if you are just trying to work out how much you can receive off one, I would estimate it at about 360-600 / hour.

Not what I would count as bulk, but YMMV

• Advertisement
Advertisement