Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential areas in Mulhuddart

Options
  • 30-04-2004 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I might be looking for accomodation as close as possible to Damastown Industrail Estate in Mulhuddard. I dont know Dublin at all - can someone put me on the right track for what to look out for in the papers? (If there are any local papers in particular mention these too :D )

Thanks,
    merlin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

avoid huntstown,blakestown...in fact, anywhere remotely near or in mulhuddart

:D

try the accomodation board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

try www.daft.ie

I work in Mulhuddart...not the best area to live in, plus it is ages away from town (1 hour by bus)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Your best bet is probably just to get somewhere in Castleknock or the Navan Rd and get a bus.

Mulhuddart, Huntstown, Hartstown = no go area

Not to mention Whitestown *shiver*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

heh. i was just kidding.
    they are by no means "no go" areas. some neighbourhoods in there are quite nice. and much cheaper than navan road et al. :rolleyes:

edit: with the exception of whitestown/blakestown....avoid avoid avoid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

ok, I'm presuming you have a job in IBM or somewhere close. Best place to live in terms of closeness is the Little Pace estate. That's where I lived when I did my co-op in IBM. It's across the bridge that runs over the Navan Road and is roughly a 20min walk to the industrial estate. It's the closest you'll get in terms of residential areas.

It's pretty dead though...but you can always walk out the back of the estate and get a bus (or walk - 20 min) to the Blanchardstown Shopping centre. As a previous poster said Daft.ie is really the best resource for housing in dublin bar none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by Draupnir
    Your best bet is probably just to get somewhere in Castleknock or the Navan Rd and get a bus.

I live in hartstown...calling it a no go area is a bit much really...although I would avoid walking through huntstown it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Also try Dunboyne (you would need own transport), Clonee and Castleknock.

Journey planner & map http://www.dto-journeyplanner.ie/dtojp/jsp/content/start.do

Bus 38/A & 70 From HAWKINS STREET, 270 From BLANCHARDSTOWN CENTRE

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Yeah, I'd have to agree that Littlepace would be the best location. Not too far (i.e.-walking distance-ish) and not as bad an area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Originally posted by Karoma
    heh. i was just kidding.
    they are by no means "no go" areas. some neighbourhoods in there are quite nice. and much cheaper than navan road et al. :rolleyes:

they are cheaper for a reason!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Wrong board, moved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Thanks folks, lots of good stuff there. I'm looking at the daft site now. unfortunately, it doesnt let you search for a specific area (Little Pace sounds perfect).

Thanks a lot!

unholy

Originally posted by merlin_bar
    Thanks folks, lots of good stuff there. I'm looking at the daft site now. unfortunately, it doesnt let you search for a specific area (Little Pace sounds perfect).

On this page Little Pace is listed under Clonee

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s%5Barea_id%5D=cty1&search=Browse+%BB

On this page you can also search by postcode (you want Dublin 15 and some parts of Dublin 7 (Navan Road))

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

The name "Littlepace" is sort of a catch-all term for the whole area (it was the first estate built, on land beside Littlepace Stud Farm). I wouldn't go so far as to call it "dead" - Littlepace Shopping Centre(!) now has

a Chinese restaurant (Tsangs),
    a Spar,
    a pharmacy,
    a fine italian eatery (Romayos chip shop),
    a video library,
    a doctor's surgery,
    a playschool / nursery,
    an Aesthetician's
    and most importantly, on or around May 17th i believe: A PUB! RIght next door to the primary school. Handy, that.

In sort-of order of closeness to Damastown

Littlepace
    Castaheaney
    Hunters Run
    Manorfields
    Beechfields
    Deerhaven
    Swallowbrook
    Ongar (all of it)

Actually there's a million and one estates, pretty much all of which are within walking distance of Damastown, and if you have a bike or a car you're sorted.

And best of all, none of them are in Clonee. They're all on the safe side of the Dublin / Meath border.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Gosh - I feel like a local already :) The amenities sound great too. I wont be there at weekends anyway, so it sounds perfect.

Thanks a million,

merlin

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tyerlstown is fine
    Castele surragh is fine

Mulhuddart I wouldnt even think about,
    Hartstown it depends what part the majority of it is fine not brilliant but not bad either

Originally posted by Moonbeam
    Tyerlstown is fine
    Except it's in the middle of nowhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Tusky wrote:
    I live in hartstown...calling it a no go area is a bit much really...although I would avoid walking through huntstown it must be said.

Sorry, had to drag this up again ... Tusky .... how do you get to work in the morning .. stilts! Your not even a stones throw from Hunstown. Nothing wrong with Huntstown, I find it okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

bubby wrote:
    Sorry, had to drag this up again ... Tusky .... how do you get to work in the morning .. stilts! Your not even a stones throw from Hunstown. Nothing wrong with Huntstown, I find it okay.

Exactly.........nothing wrong with the area,I consider it posh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I'd avoid Ongar for starters, i lived there for almost 2 years and couldn't get out fast enough. Not sure about the apartment blocks but the houses and duplexs are very badly built with little or no noise insulation so if your neighbours are in any way loud it's a pain in the ass. Damage to cars etc is also quite common.

Hartstown is generally hassle free, i've lived here just over 2 years and haven't had one issue although most of my road is made up of childless couples or people with grown up kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Draupnir wrote:

Mulhuddart I kinda undwerstand but Huntstown and Hartstown as no go areas ? Can you give reasons for that ? I do be in those area at all times of the day/night and seems fine to me. Get the odd trouble as you would do everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

I have rented in Little Pace in the past, houses are nice there, and yes, its pretty handy for IBM - just across the bridge and you are there! However, if you don't drive, I think its a wee bit inconvenient for the main shopping centre/movies etc.

I found CastleCurragh, ignoring its proximity to Mulhaddart village, pretty handy place to live – just like the LittlePace, its minutes to IBM, Symantec, Blanchardstown IT and everything in the Blanchardstown Industrial Estate, and also its just 10 mins to walk to the shopping centre itself. There is a pharmacy, off-license, spar, schools etc right at the doorstep, and of course Tyrrells Shopping centre for the grocery shopping on Saturdays – its impossible to get parking in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre on weekends! Also there are buses to City centre, Airport, Swords (Ur Bus), and find it very quite too.

I agree with the comment about Whitestown. I wonder if authorities have any plans for that area – if they don’t act soon, its not going to get any better!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

tyrelstown would probably suit you up there too.
    Hartstown is beside mulhuddart thus why some of it is better off avoided,and huntstown isn't the most pleasant place on earth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Moonbeam wrote:
    Hartstown is beside mulhuddart thus why some of it is better off avoided,and huntstown isn't the most pleasant place on earth

I didn't think Hartstown was anywhere near Mulhuddart ? Then again some of Huntstown is classed as Mulhuddart (I am led to believe) so I suppose it is and it isn't !!!

Hartstown is beside mulhuddart,yeah alot of hunstown gets called mulhuddart and vice versa there is not much difference between the 2 places.

one advantage is the burning cars to warm your hands on walking back from the bus or pub;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I live in Whitestown.
    I have done for coming up on 6 years in a large 4 bedroom house.
    There were a lot less houses in the area back then when you went looking to buy.
    The shooting did come as a shock, as we have not had any such trouble over the years.
    We have had a broken window due to kids playing football but that is life.
    The neighbours are fine mostly quiet getting on with thier own lives.

I have family living closer to Clonsilla village and they have had more trouble with burglaires and cars being burnt out in 'private' estates and hellish neighbours so it is not fair to label a place based on a few.

Also there are more and more people buying into the estate each year changing the demographic plus the extension on to the estate as it is so central to verything but the train line.

Hartstown is not right beside Mulhuddart, get yourself a map:D

Moonbeam wrote:

What are you comparing Huntstown with? I'm originally from the "southside" and bought in Huntstown almost 2 years ago. Never had a spot of bother, the neighbours knocked in and welcomed me etc. Never had any trouble.
    It is what you make of it.

I know several people living in Huntstown and they all say it's fine, anytime i've been down that way it has been very quiet. OK the shopping area on the Huntstown Road could do with a facelift as it has the look of a rough and ready spot but the estates are fine. Huntstown Wood area borders directly onto the new estates moving in from Clonee direction not Mulhuddart.

Arcadian wrote:
    OK the shopping area on the Huntstown Road could do with a facelift as it has the look of a rough and ready spot but the estates are fine.

Agreed, Its a pity those shops wouldn't clean up their act a bit. No effort in the last 2 years to clean up. It makes the place look like a tip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement