Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anybody say the letter T properly anymore???!!!

• 30-04-2004 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Anyone notice how so many people on the radio and tv can't seem to say their T's properly anymore?

For example:
    right=roigch
    party=parchy
    eight=eigch
    what=whach
    that=thach
    lite fm = lich fm

I can't understand how people can become presenters if they can't even pronounce
    basic simple words properly. Somebody with a Dublin accent who doesn't pronounce their TH's wouldn't be let on the airwaves saying dis, dat and da oder so why is this allowed????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I blame stupid people. There seem to be far too many of them about these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

what about those gob****es doing the traffic reports? "south around the round about"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    what about those gob****es doing the traffic reports? "south around the round about"

Oh yeah, the AA roadwatch heads! Don't get me started on those! The outbound southbound roundabout brigade. Anything with -bout on the end of it and they seem to break out into a little Northern Ireland accent.

Speaking of Northern Ireland, (and to go off in a total tangent!) why do RTE insist on calling it the North all the time? Is it because they are trying to claim it as part of the Republic in a sly way by not recognising it as a seperate country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah those AA people are real eejits, it just guides all the legal secretaries and middle management baffoons to the useless and often highly paid marketing jobs in sandford industrial estate!

Enveryone there seems to wear suits or trouser suits, when i was handing out leaflets there they all looked so glum.

i spose when friday comes they can all go home pick up there weekend kids (cause they leave them in a creche all week) and eat pasta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

that softening of the [t] is called lenition and it happens a lot in hiberno-english. deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Originally posted by HelterSkelter
    Anyone notice how so many people on the radio and tv can't seem to say their T's properly anymore?

For example:
    right=roigch
    party=parchy
    eight=eigch
    what=whach
    that=thach
    lite fm = lich fm

I can't understand how people can become presenters if they can't even pronounce
    basic simple words properly. Somebody with a Dublin accent who doesn't pronounce their TH's wouldn't be let on the airwaves saying dis, dat and da oder so why is this allowed????
    I think you have your phoenetics wrong :)

I'm reading Parchy as something kinda dry, parched-like (making that up, but you know what I mean? :)).
    Thach as Thatch without the last t. (Think Attach)
    A Lich as in a dead body (or resurected mage if you play FRP), Lich Way, Lich Gate (into a graveyard)
    etc...

I'm curious about what you mean though. Are there particular broadcasters you can use as an example?

Regarding the Dublin accent where the T's and TH's turn into D's, what about broadcasters like Joe (Duffy?) on Radio 1. He annoys the crap out of me, but t'be fair, lotsa people tawk like dat, so why shouldn RTE have brawdcasters dat represent der lisnership?

I always thought the AA roadwatch girls had pretty good diction, then I'm normally half asleep listening to them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I say my 't's. Of course, I'm English and as a result, can talk.

Originally posted by Kold

Fair nuff Gov! Das da main fing!

As you know, not all of your countrymen would share your abilities. Likewise, not all Irish people soften their T's nor substitute them for Ds.

You talk the lingo of the peasants... Out of my way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Oh yeah, the AA roadwatch heads! Don't get me started on those! The outbound southbound roundabout brigade. Anything with -bout on the end of it and they seem to break out into a little Northern Ireland accent.

The sithe Dublin affected chickie accent. They have culled those silly bitches from AA Roadwatch on RTE (dunno about Today FM though) and we now get presenters who enunciate with fully 'rinded vials' as one might put it.

Before they did so I was confuzzled by their ghastly pronounciations of Irish Placenames.

Aughrim became Awwrim for example , the all time classic was a warning about traffic at the FLAD in Enniscorthy.

M

• Advertisement

You talk the lingo of the peasants... Out of my way

lol! You said it! Not me! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hehehe... flad

Originally posted by Muck
    Before they did so I was confuzzled by their ghastly pronounciations of Irish Placenames.

Aughrim became Awwrim for example , the all time classic was a warning about traffic at the FLAD in Enniscorthy.
    Ah, lol, ok... I agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Matt "widge" Cooper!

I know he's from Cork an everyting but really! :mad:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Speaking of Northern Ireland, (and to go off in a total tangent!) why do RTE insist on calling it the North all the time? Is it because they are trying to claim it as part of the Republic in a sly way by not recognising it as a seperate country?

Yep! RTE never formally recognised the 1921 treaty...its why they report NI job losses and car crashes like they happened in Dublin or Leitrim...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Originally posted by Adeptus Titanicus
    I'm curious about what you mean though. Are there particular broadcasters you can use as an example?

Marian Funnican is the best example I can think of. Kay Sheehey (on 5-7 life I think), the annoying cow on FM104 in the late afternoon (Joan???) she used to do the Strawberry Alarm Clock.

All the main culprits seem to be women, especially ones on radio commercials.
    Regarding the Dublin accent where the T's and TH's turn into D's, what about broadcasters like Joe (Duffy?) on Radio 1. He annoys the crap out of me, but t'be fair, lotsa people tawk like dat, so why shouldn RTE have brawdcasters dat represent der lisnership?

Well I can't stand Joe Duffy myself, not for the way he talks though, but because he is such a bore. The lads on Apres Match have him off to a tee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Mr. T I PITTY DA FOOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

lol, you reminded me of the English comic Jimmy Carr:
    You may notice my accent....Infact, this is not an accent - it's how things sound when pronounced correctly.

lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Did anyone see the Des Bishop dvd where he was slagging scumbags for not pronouncing their 't's?

Scumbag: That was bleedin' shoi (****e), give us a loi (light), roi (right)
    Des: What??? Wheres the ******* 't' bro'?
    Scumbag: Wha (What)?

I just thought that was funny. Now, on to the AA bashing (and justifiably so).

Marian Funnican is the best example I can think of. Kay Sheehey (on 5-7 life I think), the annoying cow on FM104 in the late afternoon (Joan???) she used to do the Strawberry Alarm Clock.

All the main culprits seem to be women, especially ones on radio commercials.
    OK, I think I got you now. The "Marble Mouth" syndrome? I'm sure you know what I mean, see here :)

I think the whole point of the Strawberry Alarm Clock was to annoy people! Good way of making them get out of bed, or throw the alarm/radio across the room! Then again, so does David "and the time now is quarter to 10" Hanley. Always gets it wrong and gives you a heart attack.

(I think I'm making myself out to be older than I am listening to these shows!)

Well I can't stand Joe Duffy myself, not for the way he talks though, but because he is such a bore. The lads on Apres Match have him off to a tee.
    lol, indeed! That's also why I don't like him. Always sounds so insincere, bloody aul' wan! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Where does the AA deploy their "sithe of the rindabite" chickies nowadays? RTÉ wont let them on the air any more, lots of people gave Bob Collins schtick over the constant mangling of Irish placenames when he was DG a few years back . I felt constantly inclined to report interesting traffic hazards such as

Cows on the Roundabout in Ballinea
    Low Lying Hoar Frost in Ballydehob
    A Contraflow in Oughterard
    An Oil Spillage in the Southbound Outside Lane in Termonfeckin

Just to hear what the AA would mangle them into.

BTW only women speak in that atrocious affected accent, it sounds like a mutoid South African dialect has been parachuted into South Dublin ....or is it really 'alien' in a more sinister way :)

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I think the only thing worse than listening to someone under-pronunciate is listening to someone who pronounces every single letter exactly.
    Or eurgh... even worse are the people who call in to radio shows, and pronounce their T's so sharply as to blow a load of noise into the mouthpiece.

Funny thing about skaners though... I don't mind the missing T, it's the elongated S's that drive me nuts.
    bag eh chipssss der pleassss

But it's good to finaly have solid proof that we're never finished moaning about something in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

I think this would be more suitable here...

Moved

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by mike65
    Yep! RTE never formally recognised the 1921 treaty...its why they report NI job losses and car crashes like they happened in Dublin or Leitrim...

I for one want to hear news from the north just as much as from most other places in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

BTW only women speak in that atrocious affected accent, it sounds like a mutoid South African dialect has been parachuted into South Dublin ....or is it really 'alien' in a more sinister way

This is known as hypercorrection in linguistics. A speaker changes the way they pronounce or use language to conform to a supposedly superior accent. They don't fully know the rules of the "superior" or more socially desirable accent though, so they don't get it quite right. I'm thinking these South Dubliners go for some sort of mix of English/Australian/American English because they think an Irish accent is beneath them.

Originally posted by simu
    I'm thinking these South Dubliners go for some sort of mix of English/Australian/American English because they think an Irish accent is beneath them.
    Ahem... Nod awl of us talk loike dat! I wouldn't just assume that they come from the south side. :)

Actually, the accent shifting seems to be be quite common on the airwaves, especially the 98fm/fm104 pseudo-American twangs. I've even heard some German DJs with this type of twang, An odd combination there, but I digress...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Originally posted by Adeptus Titanicus
    Ahem... Nod awl of us talk loike dat! I wouldn't just assume that they come from the south side. :)

[/

I said "these South Dubliners" i.e. those that do have the accent we were discussing. I'm not very familiar with Dublin but I wouldn't want to tar everyone with the same brush! And yes, I'm sure people from other places try to emulate this accent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

That's why a lot of the english say 'ouse instead of house. The english are just as bad.

Well every country has lower class scum... We tried to move most of them out... It was a reeeally bad idea to give you guys British passports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

Even your Prime Minister Tony Blair does it, Has anyone ever heard him pronounce
    "better Britain" it is more like "be'her Bri'hain' or according to te below link he says
    "It's the way he tells 'em"

"And now even Tony Blair does it."It's the way he tells 'em. Prime Minister wades into estuary English for O'Connor chat show." (The GuardianJuly 1998, my emphasis)"

http://www.google.ie/search?q=cache:6ZpOClOdMR8J:www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/estuary/altendf.pdf+tony+blair+pronunciation&hl=en

Advertisement