Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been banned from After Hours. Why??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

1 Board director of a national telco lost her job.

Erring on the side of caution here but surely that would have made big news? Perhaps it did (I've been out of the country for a few years) but there's not many national telecommunication companies and if someone lost their job as a direct result of posting here then surely that would have gone down in boards.ie lore?

Something along the lines of 'Don't post that, didn't you hear what happen <insert name here>? No one is safe!'

Now obviously I don't think the person in questions name is <insert name here> but I would love to read more about it.

I've a sneaking suspicion that any news reports (if there are any) would fail to mention the massive role that boards.ie played. Damn the media, always hiding the truth.

So...anyone care to hint or link to somewhere I can read more about this big story? As we speak curiosity has the cat in a headlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

hey chabsey, eat ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by joe_chicken
    ...is it just me , or is that kinda equivalent to:

Well if one is true and one is false, they can hardly be equivelant, can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

hey chabsey, eat ****.

that was just plain mean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Well if one is true and one is false, they can hardly be equivelant, can they?

How am i supposed to know whos telling the truth or not....

a threat is a threat!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by SheroN
    hey chabsey, eat ****.

????

That's hardly productive. **** could be anything and I'm not eating something until I've tasted it first.

I presume from your reply that you have not got a link to the incident I was referring to. In fact your highly intelligent reply could lead some to believe such info doesn't exist.

If people see this as being off topic then where should I ask to find this out? I realise it might be sensitive information, maybe a private message so that we don't clutter this thread?

I'm genuinely curious as it sounds like a good story.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by chabsey
    [BI'm genuinely curious as it sounds like a good story[/B]

did you ever think that perhaps DeV has no intention of giving you that kind of information for legal reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

????

That's hardly productive. **** could be anything and I'm not eating something until I've tasted it first.

chabsey, I'm presuming that SheroN is telling you to eat shit. He says it to people on IRC all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by DeVore
    2 people have been arrested and charged.

DeV.

wans't one of those in connection to someone attacking someone else after a lan event organised on boards.? I think If I recall coorectly someone went for mindpunk.

I wonder how many people have been sued over boards, probably none actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

How am i supposed to know whos telling the truth or not....

Using your brain normally helps.

Oh, right...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    did you ever think that perhaps DeV has no intention of giving you that kind of information for legal reasons?

Obviously that has occurred to me. However, I thought that considering he has already provided the following details:

1) The person involved was a female.
    2) She was on the board of directors of a national telecommunications company.
    3) She was dismissed as a direct result of attempting to disguise herself/actions on boards.ie.

That maybe someone might have more information. Such a high-profile dismissal generally does not go unrecorded in the media and while DeVore himself directly providing the info might fall under the protective blanket of 'legal reasons' I just thought someone might hint at it. Such things, I thought, would go down in boards lore with various oblique allusions by the mods over time. Perhaps I’m wrong and everything was conducted with utmost secrecy and shall remain forever a secret.

If that’s the case then it’s a real pity as concrete info on the case would add gravitas to DeVore’s argument against the whole internet bulletin-board vs. reality issue, that’s all.

Originally posted by Bard
    chabsey, I'm presuming that SheroN is telling you to eat shit. He says it to people on IRC all the time.

Really? How very old school of him.

If that’s the case then it’s a real pity as concrete info on the case would add gravitas to DeVore’s argument against the whole internet bulletin-board vs. reality issue, that’s all.

DeV isn’t required to supply any further info in order for people to believe him, he’s not in the habit of lying and if he has stated the above facts then you can take them as true.
    and one has to wonder why you need to know this info so badly....

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    DeV isn’t required to supply any further info in order for people to believe him, he’s not in the habit of lying and if he has stated the above facts then you can take them as true.
    and one has to wonder why you need to know this info so badly....

Who claimed he was required to supply any information? I was merely asking, not demanding.

I do not know him, either on boards or in real life so I have no idea if he or you enjoy lying or embellishing the truth to make a point, in fact I do not really care either way.

I just asked, as an aside, if anyone knew anything more about that incident as it appeared interesting. That is all. I will not ask you again if it annoys people so much. I apologise profusely for appearing interested in what DeVore had to say.

apology accepted.

Originally posted by SheroN
    apology accepted.

Oh you poor dear, I was talking to Beruthiel. But don't you worry, some day someone close to you will apologise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Really? How very old school of him.
    :)

Erring on the side of caution here but surely that would have made big news? Perhaps it did (I've been out of the country for a few years) but there's not many national telecommunication companies and if someone lost their job as a direct result of posting here then surely that would have gone down in boards.ie lore?

Something along the lines of 'Don't post that, didn't you hear what happen <insert name here>? No one is safe!'

Now obviously I don't think the person in questions name is <insert name here> but I would love to read more about it.

I've a sneaking suspicion that any news reports (if there are any) would fail to mention the massive role that boards.ie played. Damn the media, always hiding the truth.

So...anyone care to hint or link to somewhere I can read more about this big story? As we speak curiosity has the cat in a headlock.

DeVore owuld have no reason to lie. When you pick up your phone in your office one day only to discover Tom on the other end, that is a scary moment. Or more to the point when Tom rings your office and tells you'r boss you posted something from work on a day, only to find that you weren't in work that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Boston
    Or more to the point when Tom rings your office and tells you'r boss you posted something from work on a day, only to find that you weren't in work that day.

Doesn't mean anything, nearly every post I make goes through my work IP yet I'm very rarely in the office. And i have little to no IT skills, I'm sure some as skillful as Bubbl-ston could arrange matters easily.

Originally posted by syke
    Most posters don't "tell people how it is" because they try let their point of view stand up for itself, they try convince people with argument.

Perhaps if you focused more on constructing an argument and less on quoting your alleged vast "experience" as your source of knowledge, people might take your posts with an ounce of seriousness.
    Are you being serious? This from the person that manages to mention the fact that he's a medical professional at any given opportunity. It almost got to the stage where I began to wonder whether you introduced yourself as "Syke, Medical Professional.".

I'm not trying to get at you syke but the fecking hypocrasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Are you being serious? This from the person that manages to mention the fact that he's a medical professional at any given opportunity. It almost got to the stage where I began to wonder whether you introduced yourself as "Syke, Medical Professional.".

Skye is a medical professional??? Huh? Never knew that.....:eek:

I mention it when people tell me I don't know what i'm talking about and claim I'm just reading stuff off the net (or to counter people who are just reading stuff off the net).
    I don't start off any argument by claiming it to be the case (although if you can show me instances of this, be all means do) and ANYTIME I argue a point I give quotes, references and sources to back up my arguments, I'd never ever make an argument suggesting its that way cos I say so.

Whats the difference between me stating what I do and someone saying they work in IT on the technology board?

It might be a very nice point at hypocracy if you actually managed to get the analogy in any way right. Don't you think?

It's a deathrow pardon, two minutes too late.

I'm sure some as skillful as Bubbl-ston could arrange matters easily.

What are you impling, btw worst compound name ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

LET ME THROUGH I'M A DOCTOR!!!!

I mention it when people tell me I don't know what i'm talking about and claim I'm just reading stuff off the net (or to counter people who are just reading stuff off the net).
    Maybe you do. You mention it other situations too where it would appear (to my mind) to serve no particular purpose (in my opinion).
    Whats the difference between me stating what I do and someone saying they work in IT on the technology board?
    None. I'd get annoyed if those fuckers mentioned it all the time too for no particular reason.
    It might be a very nice point at hypocracy if you actually managed to get the analogy in any way right. Don't you think?
    You're at this Versace character for mentioning his tales of sexual exploits ad nauseum and for no substantive reason. I'm saying that this is a bit hypocritical given that (in my opinion) you do the same as regards what you do for a crust. There's nothing wrong with the analogy at all. You just don't accept the necessary premise of your job talkage. So we diverge on a much more fundamental level that on that of the semantics of analogies.

That's fine we can agree to disagree. But remember a little self-knowledge goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Boston
    What are you impling, btw worst compound name ever!
    Wouldn't Bos-bles be worse? Or Bosubbles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

You're at this Versace character for mentioning his tales of sexual exploits ad nauseum and for no substantive reason. I'm saying that this is a bit hypocritical given that (in my opinion) you do the same as regards what you do for a crust. There's nothing wrong with the analogy at all. You just don't accept the necessary premise of your job talkage. So we diverge on a much more fundamental level that on that of the semantics of analogies.

To be honest, considering the only time I have ever had any dealings with you (3 times ever) were when you name call or have a go at me (you always give a little "its nothing personal disclaimer, mind you so all is forgiven), you'll forgive me for not exactly holding yor opinion in high esteem.

But i I am, for arguments sake to consider it, I think that I'd like to see where exactly I've ever mentioned it for no reason. A few links would be nice, just to show me the error of my ways and perhaps to show that you'r enot just flinging mud.

• Advertisement

quit bickering you two, I know for a fact ye’d get on like a house on fire if we went on the piss

don't make me smack you!

hmmm....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement