Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been banned from After Hours. Why??

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Eh, ya whatever. So is Johnny still banned ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by syke
    To be honest, considering the only time I have ever had any dealings with you (3 times ever) were when you name call or have a go at me (you always give a little "its nothing personal disclaimer, mind you so all is forgiven), you'll forgive me for not exactly holding yor opinion in high esteem.
    Have I really? I must admit to recalling only one previous incident. If you wish to disregard what I'm saying because you think I have a personal beef of some kind that's your perogative. I don't have one but if thinking I do helps you avoid a bit of introspection I suppose that's your call.
    Originally posted by syke
    But i I am, for arguments sake to consider it, I think that I'd like to see where exactly I've ever mentioned it for no reason. A few links would be nice, just to show me the error of my ways and perhaps to show that you'r enot just flinging mud.
    Well Dr. Bob just right now I can't recall a single occasion.

• Site Banned Posts: 197 ✭✭Wolfie

I'll state the truth from my observations on boards:

This is a fascist dictatorship pseudo society, whereby rules are changed and enforced on a whimsical basis, due to how bad a moderators day has been.

You are free to express your opinion provided:

(a) It doesnt contradict an opinion expressed by a moderator - thus indirectly you are attacking the moderators view and attempting to make them look like an idiot (in their eyes).

(b) Your opinion doesnt go against the majority of posters on that issue (irrespective of how many people in a cross section of normal society would agree with you. The only majority here are the people who regularly post).

(c) If your opinion or argument (no matter how common sense) hints at disagreeing with a moderator or popular poster then you must tediously and laboriously prove every single point you are making in your post. Oh, and no matter how irrefutable the evidence, there will be someone to refute it with a dodgy weblink. Eventually, you will not even bother trying to enlighten people.

(d) Your opinion doesnt annoy a moderator who is casually browsing through other forums, but is having a bad day. Aesops fable #1432 Mods stick together.

You opinion may be deleted, editted or locked if any of the above. Your account may be banned, if the mod wants to look (again in their eyes) especially cool and hard!

Its not that the moderator(s) dont like you, they just feel better about themselves when they can kick you about a bit, ban you, attempt to make you look like an idiot or generally just be a negative member of society (however, remember this is a pseudo-society). It's a self-reinforcement of ego thing, and you must remember that most regulars are probably slightly prone to being outcasts of society, and thus encounter many negative responses or events throughout their day to day life. They need to assert their control and power on you, a non-elite peon.

In the event that you are unjustly punished or treated by these mods (who are unpaid and non-professional moderators remember), they want you to PM them, rather than post here. That is because PMs are, by their very definition, private; and thus not subject to public scrutiny. If you post in a forum, you risk revealing the inadequacies of the mod, and give a forum to the people (the vast majority of boards.ie users are not moderators after all) to criticise the masters in their crystal towers. If you just leave it, the mod will eventually calm down and may remember to unban you. They will keep an eye on you, however, and be ready to turn you into their own 'prison bitch' if you say the wrong thing... ever.

In summation (as I am now wary as to how much time I devote to boards, since I can have my efforts dashed by a quick delete, or ban) I will say this:

Boards is a free service.

Some mods are good, some are buffoons.

If you dont like the board, dont spend your time and energies here.

You are absolutely right to feel miffed at being banned.

Moderators can spoil everyones fun, or be helpful and develop a thriving and open discussion forum. They usually fall into the former.

Many people here are idiots, many more wont agree with your expressed opinion (even if they actually do agree with it).

PS - I have absolutely no chips on my shoulder, as this website is not a major part of my life or leisure time, these are just my observations, take them as you will. I'm not going to force you to agree with me, or ask you to provide statistical evidence as to why I'm wrong, or even ban you! Because, I dont have a psychological need to do that. Wihoo!

Freedom of speech and all that ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Have I really? I must admit to recalling only one previous incident. If you wish to disregard what I'm saying because you think I have a personal beef of some kind that's your perogative. I don't have one but if thinking I do helps you avoid a bit of introspection I suppose that's your call.

Thats all very nice if you disregard the fact that I already said I don't care about your opinion. But thanks for taking the time to reply.

As for the Dr. Bob, that was a private joke between Beruthiel and myself, but if you want to take it as a measure of overwhelming hypocracy on my part for pointing out that Johnny is a full of crap, then by all means do.

Oh and Ruthie, I don't care if he's your mate or not, I'm happy to play mud flinging games with anyone who wants to start on me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

the Dr. Bob thingie was my fault Dapper
    I called him that one day, it reminded him of something, I personally find it amusing

trolls....

• Advertisement

Have I really? I must admit to recalling only one previous incident.

Is this the time you came out of nowhere and called me names for supporting the smoking ban or the time you called me names on NP's journal?

If you ever actually made constructive arguments you might rank higher than "muppet" on my boards user rank-o-tron(tm) but so long as you keep name calling and mud flinging for no reason, you're just coming across as a tool yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I should move threads indiscriminately from PI more often.

Originally posted by Gordon
    I should move threads indiscriminately from PI more often.

ah nah, I flame muppets everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, mods stick together ... which is why I'm gunning for Vader if I see him again. What a pile of crap. Standard fight the power rubbish.

I'm not saying any more about the telco director. Its an obvious story any anyone in IOFFL will back it up. I'm being vague so I dont leave myself open to a defamation lawsuit of any description.

Boston is wrong again, the threats of violence were not directed to nor from Mindphuck or at any lan, it was more sinister then that and we made no noise about it but quietly handled it. The other arrest was for hacking (if you recall about 3 years ago someone called Succelent Duck defaced our site... our friends at the Fraud Squad raided his house 3 months later).

This is all by the by anyway. Versace has been unbanned days ago. I've asked the PI mods to note when they move contentious threads to other boards. I'm sure Johnny's frail nerves werent to strained by his 4 days away from AH.

This thread is over.

DeV.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement