Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lance Storm hangs them up

• 30-04-2004 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Just at Blake Nortons sight (IwW head trainer) and read this, in a way, upsetting article:

I just read that Lance Storm is hanging up his boots. That's a real shame. Most WWE fans who haven't seen enough of him before 2001 won't know what they're missing. I booked him for Stampede a couple of years ago (he was under WWE contract at the time) and he exemplified professionalism and talent. It's a real shame he hasn't had the opportunity to contribute what he's got to the company.
    from Blake Norton.com

Shame... IMO!

Plus, on his website (which is actually his training school) it also adresses his in ring retirement.

Hanza

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I read about that during the week, I saw it in a post here aswell. It was sad to hear, I always enjoyed Lance's work, although the last few months haven't been the greatest for him. I sent him an e-mail, just cos I felt like thanking him for what he's done. He was a great wrestler, but if you're injured and fed up, you shouldn't really stick around. He would have been great in a feud with Jericho, Christian, Edge or Matt right now, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Xero

personally i think storm let himself down and only really has himself to blame for never making it as a world champion. he has all the talent in the world and a great look but i think he couldve done more for himself by developing some kind of character, its a pity in a way that the lack of a good character can make or break a talented performer but thats the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

I have always enjoyed Lance as a performer, was nice to see the crowd so hot for his last match whcih was unfortunately on heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

He was a good wrestler alright but I dont personally think he was a great entertainer. Which has been his downfall.

He never seemed to have a presence out of the ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I think the real tragedy is that one of the things that he had listed as wanting to do before he retired was have a match with Benoit.
    With Benoit being on RAW, I think it could have been arranged for them to have a match together, even if it were only a few minutes long, probably with Lance as a heel.
    It will never happen now, which is too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

nah he was a technical wrestler = boring
    dont need that kinda thing in sports entertainment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Originally posted by iasc
    nah he was a technical wrestler = boring
    dont need that kinda thing in sports entertainment..
    I really hope he was being sarcastic

Hanza

no i wasnt been sarcastic, pure wrestling is boring to me, and to most fans in the u.s., they dont want to see wrestlers with nothing too them, thats why he wasnt getting any pushes anymore because the fans didnt care abnout him

no i wasnt been sarcastic, pure wrestling is boring to me, and to most fans in the u.s., they dont want to see wrestlers with nothing too them, thats why he wasnt getting any pushes anymore because the fans didnt care abnout him

The reason some Americans don't like that kind of style is because they don't have the attention span and concentration to think about the match and piece it together in their minds. To me, a technical match is like really good music, while a match completely void of any technical stuff is like the music coming out of an ice-cream van.

The whole basis of sports-entertainment is psychological wrestling. Wrestling matches with a proper theme and story to them. I think what you're looking for is a high-action male soap opera, which WWE can be compared to, but I prefer to watch it for the in-ring action.

And if technical wrestling is as boring as you say, then why are Eddie and Benoit the two most popular champions in a long time? Goldberg was booed out of the building because he was completely void of any and all technical ability.

I think that you haven't been paying attention to matches and trying to think logically about them. I've seen matches that don't make sense, and they're not pretty. Lance Storm always worked matches that made sense, it was a joy to watch him in the ring, his ability to tell a story in there always left me satisfied. Which is why I rate him so highly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Xero

well in fairness he does have a point, its buried under alot of rubish but it is a good point. if people wanted to just watch pure wrestling then we'd be watching american college wrestling on a friday night instead of raw.

i love nothing more than a good 30 minute match between two great wreslters, ie. benoit/hbk or hbk/triple h ( yes i did say triple h )

people want to get behind a good wrestler, u can get into a triple h match because u wanna see him lose or get into a benoit match because we all want him to retain the belt, becasue both men have characters, people want triple h to lose because he's the arrogant heel, we want benoit to win because he's finally getting a chance after a long hard career....

with lance storm there was never a reason to care, unless he was getting heat for being pro canadian....but u cant make a career out of one angle. he never developed a character, a good wrestler draws the crowd in with a combination of a good character and a good match. storm good put on a good match, its just nobody wanted to watch

• Advertisement

dont get me wrong, i like watching benoit, angle and eddie matches, but i just thought lance storm had nothing to him except holds and throws, it just wasnt great to watch, maybe except for the purists, which the wwe is not for

I know what you are getting at, cos its been debated before. The point I am getting at is that weither you realise it or not, most of your favourite wrestlers more then likley are more technical wrestlers, thne the ones you think are boring. What Im getting at is that you didnt entirerly understand yourself what you said. Technical wrestling isnt just German suplex, hammer locks, spinning aronud on your opponets back.

Go to a wrestling school and then tell me if you still think twchnical wrestling is so boring. I can asure you that you will love it then.

Hanza

tbh, my favourite characters would be, rock, cena, matt hardy...favourite wrestlers, would be angle, guerrero, id prefer the characters over the wrestlers anyday, but i like guerrero and angle because they put on exciting matches, however storm, just put on technical matches, there was nothing really too them, i understand that he's a good 'wrestler', but theres no point when all the wins are decided for you based on how popular u are really. I feel sorry for the guy like...but at the end of the day, if theres nothing too you character wise the wwe isnt the place for ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

i dont know if youve been watching heat in a wile but storm has been butting out some very exciting matches especially with stevey richards, his half boston crab is a bad finisher but the matches are very entertaning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ah damn, that's too bad:(

he's no daddy haystacks though

heat...ah come on, none of those matches are any good

The matches on Heat are often very good. Last week I saw Randy Orton hit the best RKO I've seen so far on Val Venis.

I haven't watched it in a good while, but Velocity used to be very good, the matches were often better than SD. It seemed as though the guys were trying harder cos they're not on the main show, and they always had good matches. Pity I haven't watched it in a long time, but I hear that the matches are still pretty good.

Matt Hardy V Lance Storm 3 weeks ago was amazing. Lance had Matt in the Boston crab for a whole minute, the crowd went mental, matt was hitting side effects left right and centre, the crowd was popping more then virginb cherry! I agree. Heat is actually becoming essential viewing!

Hanza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

heat...ah come on, none of those matches are any good

they mant get the tv time or have any story behind them (apart from the test stevey richards matches) but at times they are a lot better than raw, people like richards, hurracane, rhyno,victoria, molly, storm and a while back test put on some brilent shows

Don't forget that you used to have to watch Heat if you wanted your weekly dose of Mattitude!

• Advertisement
Advertisement