Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember Turn?

Options
  • 30-04-2004 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Big hype about them around 2 years ago - a big following - loads of phantom praise - a few good gigs and then dusssshhhhh! gone!

I bought a couple of cd's -but i always felt people over rated them. One could be forgiven for doing so - "baretta" "in position" and "summer song" are all great but they really really lack depth to back these up.

One of those bands you hear on the radio with cool songs - buy the album or ep and then are dissapointed with the rest of the tracks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I bought "Forward" recently after seeing Ollie doing a solo gig.

Tbh its not that great, its good and everything but as an album its pretty weak, the songs are more enjoyable individually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

'check my ears' and 'in position' are fantastic eps... its when you get to their albums you find the filler... not awful by any means but not great!

they're killer live though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

yeah live they're deadly, saw them do an acoustic deal in tomato (now d2) couple of years ago- class! terribly nice guys too!

In position is a brilliant song but i found the other tracks on the ep wore very thin very quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

I heard Anti Social the album and Summer Song.

Summer song is good, as is Too Much Make Up, Beretta and Words.

Don't really pay attention to the rest that much

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

their bassist quit didn't he to join idlewild ?(scottish band and one of me fav's)

• Advertisement

really?

I think his name is Ollie

Furthermore on this topic - a band who were not nearly as successful but were good on phantom fm etc and are now nowhere - La Rocca? some great songs, even if they were leaning a little too much towards pop/rock for me.

They had this amazing big piano song called "waiting in the wings" as a b side to a song i think called "independant song" - really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Im really liking the "one man guy" song on other voices 2-I might check out their older stuff.

gavin fox was their bassist... idlewild asked him to join after their bassist left as idlewild and turn were good friends...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

Vaguely. I remember i didn't like em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Gavin was replaced by Alan Lee who used to play in Skindive.

They're a good band. Drummer plays from the elbows though :dunno: :p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Saw them play in Drogheda on Saturday last outside the Sound Shop as part of the EU assecession celebrations. They were welcoming Latvia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I didnt know anything about them before i bought Forward. Its a pritty good album. Have they split now or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by Axel
    Have they split now or something?
    Unless it was after Saturday I don't think so. Looks like they may be about to take a break judging by the web site tho...

hope the don't split or break or whatever

Their stuff is very hit and fairly miss but I reckon they could have a good second album in them - or maybe another patchy album and then a deadly third album!

Maybe another guitarist and some more innovative production detail might go along way too?

no splitting up for turn...

this thread made me go listen to the antisocial album and i remembered how great the title track is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

I reckon they could have a good second album in them
    Forward was the second album. Tis alright.

first time i saw turn was when they were supporting jj72 (remember them?) in limerick. ollie cole seemed mightily p1ss3d off with the crowd. (which i thought was cool). only found out years later that apparently they'd been dropped from their label about this time. have seen them since and ollie always seems cool. he's tiny though. i mean really small.

Originally posted by eggshapedfred
    Forward was the second album. Tis alright.

sorry yeah i was forgetting the antisocial album!

I meant they could have a good 3rd or maybe 4th album in them

-Like snow patrol!

Advertisement