Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shring files between two computers

Options
  • 30-04-2004 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

ok,wtf.I am an idiot. I had my laptop and pc linked up nicely with a crossover cable,and was sharing files with relative ease.After getting BB,i downloaded a load of stuff and now i want to put all that stuff onto my PC. Problem is, the "network" has ceased to work and i cant fix it because i suck with networks.
    The laptop is running XP and the PC is running 2000 which doesn't help. So can someone give me step by step instruction of what to do to get it up and running. The hardware is all working and the connections are set up. (When i open the connections,its say that a few bytes have been sent and recieved so the wire and cards are OK). The problem is getting a workgroup or domain going. To make matters worse, once i set up a "Home network" on the XP machine (Which is very easy to do) it tells me that i need to make a network setup boot disk to use on the other machine,and guess what,neither machine has a floppy drive.Can anyone help.Im sure its an easy solution!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

this might make things a bit easier.
    ive been messing around with it a bit more. The NIC's and cable are all grand i think.
    I made some shared files on each computer and renamed the computers themselves, putting both of the under the workgroup "workgroup1" (in netowork identity). What happens is though,is if i go to my network places, on either computer, the only shared folders that show up, are the ones of that computer, if you know what i mean. Each computer can only see itself and not the other, and i dont know why.They both show packets sent and recieved (sometimes one only sends packets and doesn;t recieve them)
    so can anyone help?!
    this laptop is getting VERY cloged up and i need to get all this stuff off of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭red-not-blue

What method do you use to connect to the 'net ? Is it a USB modem or an ethernet modem . . I'm guessing USB unless you have 2 NIC in the PC.

Have both computers got i.p. addresses in the same range? Same subnet mask ? Same DNS Servers i.p. ?

Check this stuff and also can the note book access the net ? If so is it through the PC with internet sharing or have you some other setup ?

R-N-B

lol,i typed all that and forgot to mention, there is no internet sharing...yet. Its a file sharing set up only.(i take the laptop upstairs to connect it,and then back downstairs to broadband)
    thanks 4 the reply thou,i was starting to lose faith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

turn off any firewalls running on either machine .... make sure that you have set the same gateway, and subnet on both machines, make sure they are different IP's

*cough* whats subnet and gateway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Did you get this to work yet?

I'm trying to connect 2 pcs running WinXP via ethernet cards but still no luck. the crappy network wizard runs and when i reboot I can see the other pc in "view computers in this workgroup" but i can't click into the other pc.

not quite, nearly. Im about to try again. this is what ive been told to do (and suggested above)

Get the NIC's up and running, disable any filewalls.
    Go to network connections and right click the appropriate icon (LAN) and go to properties. Double click internet protocal and click the "use the following ip address" (this should be done on both computer). On one computer put in the IP 192.168.0.1
    and on the other 192.168.0.2, on both put the subnet mask put 255.255.255.0

Now to check they are connecting, go to start>Run and type CMD. Then type ipconfig to see that the addresses are correct (and differ by one on each PC). Now, to see that they can "see" each other, type "ping *other PC's IP*" (e.g. ping 192.168.0.2)
    if everything is ok, and it recieves information than the two pc's can see each other.

Other things, Make sure the two computers are members of the same workgroup and that you know both the PC's names.

Anyone have anything else to add considering that my little network still doesn't work!

[EDIT] While im here,any good websites with tutorials/info on all this pinging malarky, and networking in general. All that tracert and IPing is pretty intresting[/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I was reading around the net and I think ya need a 2 port hub to connect both the pcs into. i'm going to try it this way this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You don't need a hub to connect 2 PC's, just a crossover cable. If you want to add a third or subsequent PC's you will need a hub or switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

sirpsycho, if you can see the other machine in network neighbourhood, then the networking is set up ok. The problem is most likely that the remote machine is refusing connections because of invalid username/password. Try setup a share on the machine and enable guest access on it.

Gav

• Advertisement

if its of any intrest,got it working. Forgot about the stupid firewall.If you can ping both machines your in business

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Hi guys, on a simular note is it possible to connect a pc and a laptop via firewire. I am a complete newbee when it comes to networking. It would be great if someone would be able to point me in the right direction as to if it is possible and also how I would possibly be able to go about setting it up. The reason as to why i want to use firewire is mainly due to the size of the file i need to transfer. Approx 4.7g. My laptop does not have a dvd writer where as pc has.

Thanks in advance

Leonard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭KinSlayer

if they both have xp then u can use firewire to connect em both.

Advertisement