Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to lodge €17,000 to free Colombia Three

Options
  • 30-04-2004 11:34pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/04/30/story145354.html

30/04/2004 - 3:54:52 PM

The Government is to pay €17,000 to secure the freedom of three Irishmen cleared of training FARC rebel guerillas in Colombia.

The trio, James Monaghan, Martin McCauley and Niall Connolly, were acquitted in the Bogota capital of the South American state this week after being in custody for more than 30 months.

But they were convicted of travelling with false passports, with 58-year-old Monaghan jailed for 44 months, McCauley, 41, for 36 months and Connolly, 38, for five months.

A bond of €17,000 was fixed by the court to secure the early release and return to Ireland of the men, known to their supporters as the “Colombia Three.”

Confirming the move to pay, Junior Foreign Minister Tom Kitt said the funds will be made available to satisfy the terms of “conditional freedom” under Colombian law.

At the request of the three men’s defence team, his department had indicated willingness to advance the sum required.

But Junior Minister Kitt stressed that the money was being provided on condition that it would be repaid.

In addition to authorising their release from prison, the trial judge has the power to permit the men to return to Ireland after payment of the bond.

The authorities are today awaiting confirmation from the men’s legal representatives that the bond had been paid and that the formal request for the men’s return to Ireland had been submitted to the judge.

Mr Kitt said the Government understood that the Colombian attorney general had indicated an intention to appeal against the judgment in the trial of the men and also called for the three to be kept in Colombia pending the appeal.

But the minister added: “It is not yet clear if he will in fact lodge such an application.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by Dub13
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/04/30/story145354.html
    But Junior Minister Kitt stressed that the money was being provided on condition that it would be repaid.

Rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dont understand why the Government feels it should pay anything...its not they owe the Columbia 3 anything.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I dont understand why the Government feels it should pay anything...its not they owe the Columbia 3 anything.

Me neither. Guess they hadn't bought travel insurance ;)

It should be paid back in full though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think that it is going to be given with the understanding that it will be paid back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Yes, it's to be paid back alright. Presumably they claim Irish citizenship and as such, the argument put forward is that they are not safe in Columbia and need their government to finance their passage back to safety. I think any government worldwide would do the same in the circumstances for citizens abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Ffs, its three peoples lives. Columbia is hardly known for its human rights now is it? For that matter, what sort of court allows you to pay €17,000 and then leave the country if not an "unlawful" one.

This is one thing I'd happily see my tax euros go towards, it sure beats a million or was it billion, euro jet.

After all, it works out at approx 0.005 cent per registered tax payer of ireland.

That said, since its being paid back, so much the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I guess they're trying to make up for not doing more when they were being held? It seems a little dodgy being held for 30 months.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Lump
    I guess they're trying to make up for not doing more when they were being held? It seems a little dodgy being held for 30 months.

John
    Indeed. In most lawful countries, anyone convicted of such a misdemeanour offence would be given instant release and maybe even an apology for their prolonged imprisonment....

€17,000 == drop in the ocean tbh.

Advertisement