Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

botled water, why?

• 01-05-2004 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

It has to be one of my hates, bottled water, I work in a shop and was just lookin at it and how 1L sports cap is more xpensive than a 1L of petrol, also those blue botlles aren't good for out lanfills.I think its grand people who don't like tap water or can't drink it buyin drums of water cause it works out ok value.I just don't get people who come in and ask for bottled of water, you hand them bun carrig and the say, can I have ballygowan instead!

Whats goin on there are they nuts or is it just me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I don't like the wastage of plastic bottles but water is healthier and more refreshing than coke as a drink.

And I usually specify I want Kerry water because I have relatives from that area and I think it's important to support Gaeltacht regions. Maybe ppl who ask for Ballygowan are just trying to preserve the unique lifestyle of er... Ballygowan?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

I want to buy bottled spring water. If I am happy to pay the price, why not?

Anybody who wants to drink tap water, I don't ask them- Why don't you drink bottled water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

moved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Yer only man is Lidl's bottled spring water. €0.45 per 2L bottle!! Ballygowan is €1.50 for a half litre in the airport! And Lidl's stuff comes from Luxembourg, how can there be such a price difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

I prefer bottles water as well, and only Ballygowen and Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Its a case of not having any choice - I very rarely drinky any of coke or other fizzy shíte.. Atleast you can be reasonable sure that bottled water isnt going to have too much crap in it.

Although I for one would chose bottled tap water over any of the brand names if it was sold? Maybe there's a business idea there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

and have ye noticed that on the bottle its says 500 years of water bottled!!! and then it says best before 12/12/04!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

You have to put a best before date on or at least it is advised that you put one on as to avoid silly legal action.

So I hear anyways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Tribesmen7

I buy bottled water now and then, safer than tap water, nicer too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Superman
    1L sports cap is more xpensive than a 1L of petrol, also those blue botlles aren't good for out lanfills.

And petrol usage is good?

• Advertisement

Personally I dont think you can beat a 1L bottle of petrol...really gets you started in the mornings.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah its better than coke and its good to help a rural community, and agree with it being better than tap water and coke.

I was mostly pointing out its over inflated price.

anyone here use a brita filter? i think they are very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

most people I know who buy water have to, because they're out and about and not in their house and are thirsty and need a drink...

most people I know who plan to be thirsty at some stage later in the day and not being in the vicinity of a tap (and don't plan on buying a flavoured drink) fill up an old bottle with some water (filtered/tap) and bring it along with them - but only of course if they have a suitable carrying device or big pockets...

nevertheless it is overpriced but increasigly you can get bigger bottles for cheaper and cheaper as some new brands arrive and competition kicks off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    Although I for one would chose bottled tap water over any of the brand names if it was sold? Maybe there's a business idea there?

They do, its called dasani and it's the number one selling water in the U.S. It's UK launch didnt go to well.
    http://www.dasani.com/index2.html

lol I know about Dasani, I more thinking of tap water at a reasonable price not competing with bottled water....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,004 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I buy bottled water if I'm out and about and I'm thirsty, far more healthy and refreshing than soft drinks. I should really fill and bottle and bring it out with me, but I'm just not that organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Originally posted by Tribesmen7
    I buy bottled water now and then, safer than tap water, nicer too.

Not sure about it being safer. Tap water quality is heavily regulated. I don't think bottled water comes under the same scrutiny. I can't be sure (I'll have a Google in a minute), but I'm pretty sure research backs up my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Water is good for you.

Soft Drinks are an outrageous price. I was doing exams recntly - a 500ml of water was your only man.

But people look down on tap water.

You'd swear we live out in the wilds - tap water been ok for tea and coffee being boiled - but not for drinking from a glass.

I do not use plastic milk cartons & now that I think of it - storing water in plastic bottles would not be my idea of fresh.

Overall - Milk (from a local source) is probably the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Tap water here has the one of the most stringent regulations governing it anywhere tbh. if anything the only place contamination would come from would be your own household pipes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I buy a litre bottle of some brand about once every two weeks, so as to get a new bottle. I use them all the time, even at home when watching the telly. I get up, refill it, and have a litre of water to drink. I've no problems with tap water, but sometimes it can be very weird. In college here, the tap water must sit in the pipes or something for a while because it's very flat. In a friend's flat in Dublin, the taps are very high pressure, and the water comes out all foamy, so you have to leave it sit for a while before drinking. Where I live in Cork right now, the tap water is just about perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Superman
    anyone here use a brita filter? i think they are very good

Yes, and in taste at least, yes they are – the water comes out tasting something like, or a mixture of different types of, bottled water. If I was living in my own house I get one of the built-in tap filters.

If I wasn’t as lazy I’d probably try to refill a bottle everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I drink a few litres of tap water every day and have no complaints. Except once or twice when I found these little insect things swimming about in my water which was odd to say the least.

I don't buy bottled water much. Its cheaper just to buy a 1L or 500ml bottle once and fill it up constantly like dudara said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

I'd seldom buy bottled water. If I'm out and about I'll buy fruit juice or something. At home I'd drink a fair amount of water, but the tap water turned a bit funny a few years ago, you know, the chemical after-taste, so we got a Brita filter. Works great! Always keep it full. My mother got one that fits in the fridge door shelf, so cool water on supply at all times.

I know some places in town have awful tasting tap water, so bad the chlorine-type taste comes through the tea, and that's in some resaurants and hotels. :dunno: They should probably filter as a matter of coarse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

I'm all for bottled water...you wouldnt get such great adds!!!

....filtered down through natural streams of nutrified limestone adding nothing but natural purity.....

translation: ...squeezed out of a damp matress from old folks home...

.....ice water , from the dawn of time, that has melted from glaciers and been tapped from natural springs.....

translation: ...they've scooped it from the condensation that collects at the bottom of the window on a bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Bottled water :eek: The biggest scam since taxation :p .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

water softener at home. Have yet to become accustomed to the water since. I'll drink tea etc with it but rarely a glass of water on it's own.

I only drink ballygowen in work becos it's free and then only becos my intake of water anyway is well below the recommended daily amount.

...its water you wear.....

translation...they squeeze it out of the clothes of sweaty clubbers...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I only buy bottled water:
    • after playing football, when the only alternative is luke-warm baterica-infested water from a comuninal drinking fountain.
    • when I'm walking around town and I just want a drink of water instead of buying some sugar-filled crap. Water is water, I don't care whether it comes from Ballygowan, Waterford or an elephant's trunk.
    S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

What does my head in too is that in most city centre shops: bottle of water = €1.50, bottle of fizzy sugar filled stuff = €1.30. If you are looking to quench the thirst quickly, you'd be tempted to get the cheaper stuff, but we all know you'll be thirstier again in 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by monument
    And petrol usage is good?

it's better at making engines work than water is;)

Advertisement