Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Posters with Irish sayings at school

• 01-05-2004 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember these: (We had them up on the walls at primary school in the 80s)

"Marbh ag tae agus marbh gan é"(Dead from tea, dead without it) - with a picture of a dog in a policeman's uniform drinking tea by a metal barrel full of burning coals at night time.

"Aithníonn ciaróg amháin ciaróg eile"(A beetle recognises another) - with a picture of two "female" beetles greeting each other as they walk past each other in the street.

"Ní hé lá na báistí lá na bpáistí"(A rainy day isn't a children's day): a picture of kids inside a house looking out through the window at ducks playing outside in a puddle in the rain.

"Nuair a bhíonn an cat amuigh bíonn an luch ag rince"(When the cat is outside, the mouse plays) - a picture of a mouse walzing? (if I remember correctly).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭pete

I think we had a "Níl an tinteann mar do thinteann féin" - (there's no fireplace like your fireplace?)

obviously any plan to teach irish through the medium of posters failed miserably with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

I remember those posters on the walls of a class I was in ,when I was in 6th year last year!

Advertisement