Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UGC Unlimited movies

• 01-05-2004 12:31pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This pass is a great deal,15 Eurobucks a month and you can go to any amount of movies.Its a bargan and as we all no in Dublin bargans are hard to find.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

is that ? ne other conditions ? 15 euro in cash ? or bank account no # ?

might join in summer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I have been in it for 3 years now,it was 9.99 pound,they take a direct debt from your bank account each month.Its a great deal me and my other half would go and see 5/6 moives a month.Also you can use it in any UGC about 200 I think,only thing is there is only one in Ireland at the moment but I have used it in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Placebo
    is that ? ne other conditions ? 15 euro in cash ? or bank account no # ?

might join in summer.

i think they're may be a minimum 12 months thingy perhaps, i might join during the summer myself plan on catching up on my films then

just wondering can you book online when you are member of this scheme, like put in your super secret number or something?

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

You can pay by direct debit (min 12 months) or cash (for a year) upfront.

More information available here.

I also have to give them credit when you have an Unlimited card they look after you,we get a 25% discount on food and we get invited to previews of movies and you can bring a friend for free.The one bad thing about the previews is they do not tell you what movie it is ontill just before the movie starts.

They have also just done the place up its now the biggest cinema in Ireland with 17 or 19 screens (cant remember) so when other cinemas have run out of screens and are not showing a movie you may have missed UGC will still have it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Originally posted by Dub13
    we get invited to previews of movies

A friend and I both have unlimited cards, and neither of us have been invited to previews - do they call/email you? :confused:

They have the previews on Monday/Tuesday,what happen to us the first time was we were in for a weekend movie and they asked us if we would like to see a previews but they could not tell us what it was so we went along and then put our name on a list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Ok thanks.
    Recently i had some money in my account and now its gone, so i`m not sure i will be putting money back in, so direct debit is not for me, but cash upfront for full year sounds good, and so does that 25% off and specially the preiview thing,
    Friend free to preview = also sweet.
    Ive seen this but never bothered joinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Would really like to use this, pity I have little time.

UGC is also a great cinema, despite the fact that they no longer put butter on your popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

And their nachos suck.
    Their cheese is max 7% cheese.

And you have to pay for parking. Other than that it's the best cinema in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i live in working distance from ucd all is good :), the nachos though the jalapenos peppers are quality. a friend mentioned to me last night about the butter on the popcorn apparently very little if any cinemas are doing this anymore, he said it was for health reasons, can anyone confirm this?

a friend mentioned to me last night about the butter on the popcorn apparently very little if any cinemas are doing this anymore, he said it was for health reasons, can anyone confirm this? [/B]

No,I heard a bloke from UGC on the Gerry Ryan show (I no put it passes the day away),he said they were getting loads of complaints from people who got butter all over there clothes...what was happning was people were spilling butter on the seats and then along comes the next person and messes up there clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

I used to work in an unnamed cinema but thats very true about the butter. Also it's never butter!!! It's margarine, they use a butter salt mix when making popcorn.
    mmmmm Margarine 80% Fat yummy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yay, finally a discussion about popcorn butter!

Whenever I mentions this everyone looks at me quite oddly as though I weigh 18 stone or something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

was thinking about getting one of these, theyre a bargain if you go to the movies more than twice a month... its just a shame there arent more UGC's in Dublin/Ireland

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭teck-x5

Ive been always reluctent to get one of these....

Are you able to book a film over the phone with one of these, or do you have to go to the ticket desk before the movie ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

isnt there something like you cant go see a movie with the card in the opening week of release?

*shrug* still think its a deadly idea, gonna get it if i end up in Bolton St. DIT next year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by crash_000
    isnt there something like you cant go see a movie with the card in the opening week of release?
    Eh no. Where did you get that from? I've often used it on Opening Day, or even for the Advanced Screenings. I've had it for about two and a half years now.
    I've also never got invited to previews, which seriously irritates me (well sorry, I got one for 'Goodbye Lenin!' two days before its release).
    Still I use it regularly so it's all good. Must see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind on it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Both myself and the GF just canceled our cards after about 18 months as we were getting increasingly annoyed by the little rules they bring in every so often. One that particulally p!ssed us off is that you can't get tickets for several shows at once, so if you want to see 2 films in a row you can't because when you go to buy the tickets after the first one has ended they are sold out.
    They just brought this in about a year ago and alot of card holders were very annoyed. Both myself and GF were nearly trown out after an argument with the manager, then another couple came along and had the same argument.

My message to everyone thinking about getting one of these cards is, they are ok for occasional users , but if you are a big flicks fan like myslef you might be better off paying in cash if you can afford it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Verdammt
    One that particulally p!ssed us off is that you can't get tickets for several shows at once, so if you want to see 2 films in a row you can't because when you go to buy the tickets after the first one has ended they are sold out.
    Whoa! Never knew they brought this in! I used to buy two all the time until I moved close to the cinema. I don't like that change - did they bother to defend their reasoning?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ixoy
    Whoa! Never knew they brought this in! I used to buy two all the time until I moved close to the cinema. I don't like that change - did they bother to defend their reasoning?

The fat muppet manager couldn't explain this, he said that it came from HeadOffice. I didn't believe this for a minute , but i did hear that they were loosing alot of money on ticket sales because of the "Unlimited" Cards.

Unlimited my arse.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by DrummerBoy
    I used to work in an unnamed cinema but thats very true about the butter. Also it's never butter!!! It's margarine, they use a butter salt mix when making popcorn.
    mmmmm Margarine 80% Fat yummy!!!

Actually, a few months ago I was in the Savoy and I noticed they had a vaery large tub of dairygold butter that they put into the mixer.

Yes, I've been very annoyed since they stopped putting butter in the popcorn. Popcorn tastes borrowing without it.

Perhaps we should start a petition :)

BTW rumour has it that the UGC will open in Cork. There is a new cinema being built in Blackpool Cork and people are wandering and hoping that it will be a UGC. (It would be great for me as I'm from Cork living in Dublin, so I could use the Unlimited card in Dublin and when I was at home in Cork).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Originally posted by Verdammt
    The fat muppet manager couldn't explain this, he said that it came from HeadOffice. I didn't believe this for a minute , but i did hear that they were loosing alot of money on ticket sales because of the "Unlimited" Cards.

Unlimited my arse.

The reason for this is people were getting tickets in bulk with their card and selling them on outside to people.

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    The reason for this is people were getting tickets in bulk with their card and selling them on outside to people.

At the particular time they decided to do this they had already been checking membership cards when you hand your ticket to the usher for sometime, so this is not the case.

They simply used that as an excuse because the ticket sales were suffering badly. I have this from a very good source within UGC Parnell St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Well I have only ever been asked for my card on at most 5 occasions EVER.

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    Well I have only ever been asked for my card on at most 5 occasions EVER.

I think within the last 6 months they haven't been as tight. I go at least 2-3 times a week and myself and my girlfriend are asked for our cards about 75% of the time by the gimp at the bottom of the escalator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Anyone know if UCI have any special offers or cards like these? I live near a UCI and go all the time but it's expensive enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

This card is great... i have it about 6 months... its the best purchase ive ever made... id go at least once or twice every week...

I dont have any major problems with the rule where you can only buy one ticket at a time... it makes sense really... i asked the manager about this once and he said that it was because people would get the tickets and then not show up, therefore they couldnt sell this seat to someone else coming in... people could just get the ticket and then not go if something came up, sure if they wanted to see it again they could because they have the unlimited card...

when you are getting a deal that is as good as this, of course there is going to be conditions... ive never had a problem with this service

ive never actually been asked to show my card though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

I've had this card for the last four years. Its absolutely excellent value, I haven't been using it as much over the last couple months due to being to busy but normally I go twice a week so it saves lots of money in the long run.

I'm signed up to their newsletter where I get invitations to advanced previews and UGC recommended viewing and you get to bring a friend for free. Apart from the queues I haven't had any problem with UGC, and its fair enough that they have some conditions on the card, although to be honest I haven't really noticed any thing too restricting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

So you do still have to queue with the Plebs in the lobby? Do you have to pay by direct debit or will they accept cash upfront for a year's subscription? I wish the Savoy did something similar, I live on the Southside...

Advertisement