Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UGC Unlimited movies

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

yeah you have to queue, but i've found that the line moves pretty quickly even when it is back to the escalators.... the longest i queued was 15 mins, and that was when the place was heaving with people...

if you want to pay by direct debit you pay 2 months by cash up-front and then you pay the next 10 months by DD or you can pay cash up-front for the year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

and what about booking actual tickets for a film can you do it online or do you have to go in for it?

data

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I here UGC may be behind the new cinema in Swords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

I don't think the cinema in Swords will ever happen. It was rumoured for years, and I think that the council tageed a condition that a cinema must be built along with The Pavilions shopping centre, but I think there was a get ou clausefor the developers.

Also I don't think the card is that great value. Fair enough if you like Hollywood tripe. The equivalent card in France costs 12 euro a month and where I was (in Lyon)it got you access to six cinemas which showed a very broad range of films. It's really disappointing that UGC haven't used the extra screens they built to show a more diverse range of films.

And as far as I know, there's no advance booking available with the card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Originally posted by drane2

And as far as I know, there's no advance booking available with the card?

That's right there isn't. They only way you can get your tickets is to get them before the screening of the film like everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by drane2
    Also I don't think the card is that great value. Fair enough if you like Hollywood tripe. The equivalent card in France costs 12 euro a month and where I was (in Lyon)it got you access to six cinemas which showed a very broad range of films. It's really disappointing that UGC haven't used the extra screens they built to show a more diverse range of films.

have to disagree with this here, i think since ugc have gotten the extra screens they are showing a more diverse range of films, films that would usually just air in the screen i think you will now see there, fair enough it might not be such a broad range but i think its improved and they show more off the wall stuff, its better then the range they have in uci for example which is just the american stuff

also @ verdamnt everyone else has the option of going in a few days before and buying tickets for a preview or whatever or going online and doing it with a credit card, options which would be nice to have available somehow

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi

I've wondered about this card for quite a while now.

To date, I've gone to see most of my movies in the UCIs given:

- free passes can be got via various websites (such as pigsback, ipoints etc)

- they give you "butter" on your popcorn

- car parking is free

Just wondering, can anyone confirm that you have to get a membership for minimum of 12-months, as mentioned above ?

Many thanks

Thanks,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

Originally posted by bk
    Actually, a few months ago I was in the Savoy and I noticed they had a vaery large tub of dairygold butter that they put into the mixer.

Yes, I've been very annoyed since they stopped putting butter in the popcorn. Popcorn tastes borrowing without it.

Perhaps we should start a petition :)

BTW rumour has it that the UGC will open in Cork. There is a new cinema being built in Blackpool Cork and people are wandering and hoping that it will be a UGC. (It would be great for me as I'm from Cork living in Dublin, so I could use the Unlimited card in Dublin and when I was at home in Cork).

It is a UGC going to be opened in Cork,my girlfriend is from Blarney and has a friend working on the site, so wheeeeeeey...can watch a few flicks down there aswell, whenever we are down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Yes, you have to sign up for a period of 12 months.

Payment has to be via direct debit..

Also you can only buy one ticket at a time on the day of screening. In Person.

So you can't prebook a ticket either over the phone or in person..

Even with an unlimited card, I have found myself paying cash for tickets to prebook (lord of the rings & matrix revolutions as examples)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Wrestlemania
    It is a UGC going to be opened in Cork,my girlfriend is from Blarney and has a friend working on the site, so wheeeeeeey...can watch a few flicks down there aswell, whenever we are down!

Yeahhh, this is great, the new Cinema is right across the road from my parents home in Cork and I'm often home at the weekends :)

Any idea when it will be opened. It was originally supposed to be opened by November, but that seems unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

in the next 8 to 12 weeks but i will double check that!

Many thanks to The Brigadear

for the response :)

Thanks,

G.

Lets hope UGC get there act together in Ireland they have loads in England I have used my card in Liverpool,London,Manchester and Leeds (i think).

Hey Dub13

Had a feeling we were getting along well for some reason ... just twigged it, your also happy to see Heskey was sold today ;)

Thanks,

G.

garrettod,

Its the best thing we have done in a while....I do wish him the best...(kind off)by they way are you in the Yahoo group I setup for Irish Liverpool fans...?

Hi Dub13

Sorry, No, I am not.

I'm new here (though old elsewhere ;)) ..... I'd appreciate details though, please mail me: garrettod@dublin.com

Cheers

G>

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by Verdammt
    Both myself and the GF just canceled our cards after about 18 months as we were getting increasingly annoyed by the little rules they bring in every so often. One that particulally p!ssed us off is that you can't get tickets for several shows at once, so if you want to see 2 films in a row you can't because when you go to buy the tickets after the first one has ended they are sold out.
    They just brought this in about a year ago and alot of card holders were very annoyed. Both myself and GF were nearly trown out after an argument with the manager, then another couple came along and had the same argument.

My message to everyone thinking about getting one of these cards is, they are ok for occasional users , but if you are a big flicks fan like myslef you might be better off paying in cash if you can afford it.

I had a big row with the manager about this too when the rule was brought in. He said that the rule was always there but they just started enforcing it that week.

Someone told me they started enforcing it because people were going up, getting tickets for 3 or 4 movies at a time and then not going. So 'sold out' movies were not full and UGC were loosing money over it. I worked with a guy from NZ and him and his girlfriend used to do this all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've always thought it sounds like a great deal. Unfortunately, I live (and work) out in the Deansgrange so it's a bit of a trek for me to go in to watch a movie. If I lived /worked in town I think I'd barely leave the place...

Originally posted by Sleepy
    If I lived /worked in town I think I'd barely leave the place...

It never really works out like that though. Sometimes I get as far as the door, see the queue and just leave and do something else instead. I don;t use it as much as I should tbh.

SteM, you've no idea how little I have to do with my time mid-week! Plus, I'm not the most discriminating about what I'll watch. I can watch something as bad as Torque or 2Fast2Furious and enjoy myself :o I'd get great usage out of it!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sleepy
    I can watch something as bad as Torque or 2Fast2Furious and enjoy myself :o

You should be embarrassed, oh yes you should ;)

I am to an extent. That said, at least I know that the movies are ****e. I'm not about to buy any of them on DVD (OK, OK, so I bought Top Gun, but that was as much for Nostalgia purposes as anything). I'll watch them, enjoy them and never watch them again.

One of the best examples of this was a truly hilariously bad movie called Blood Surf. Definitely worth watching, just because it is so truly horrendously awful!

Advertisement