Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

luggage weight ?

• 01-05-2004 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I know nearly everyone askes this at some point,

but what is the allowed luggage weight on Planes?

I'm going to Oz in a few weeks and i keep hearing different amounts from friends and family.

some say 20kg others say 24 and again some say 30kg

anyone know what it is ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Eye

well i'm afraid i can't help directly although i am under the impression that it's down to the airline as to how much you can bring, as far as i know most of them are the same, if you have tickets then check out the small print they nearly always hide it in there.

it may however also depend on the country your going to also, if memory serves me right my neighbours who go to america to visit kids/grankids usually every year can bring a few kg's more than they can if they were going to somewhere like spain or canary islands....i think so but don't quote me on that.

best thing to do is check with the airline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If memory serves me correctly, you're flying with Qantas.

If so, I'd check this.

From it:

All other International

First: 40kg (88lbs)
    Business: 30kg (66lbs)
    Economy: 20kg (44lbs)
    Infants+: 10kg (22lbs)

So it looks like 20kg is the limit for Qantas flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

ahh crap.

my case when empty is 6.3KG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It should say on the ticket. Doesn't it?

Originally posted by NeVeR
    ahh crap.

my case when empty is 6.3KG

Ring Qantas, see what they have to say. There might be some flexibility.

Also keep in mind your allowance on the Dublin-London leg won't be much more than 20kg

• Advertisement

my friends collected the tickeks today,, didnt see them yet,

ah well , I'll just have to pack lite :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Yea it's very likely to be 20kgs although it will be on your ticket. Qantas aren't bad at allowing a few kgs to slide either but I wouldn't count on it as if you're going to OZ you could be looking at €30-€40 per each extra kg (don't have the exact figures to hand).

One of the little known advantages of going to OZ via the US (e.g. Dublin-Los Angeles-Sydney) is your baggage allowance to and from the US is '2 Pieces' (ie two suitcases, rucksacks whatever) and each piece can be max 32kgs.

So if you pack carefully you could have 3xtimes the baggage allowance versus going via hong kong, singapore or whereever else! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

How long would the flight be each way...I mean if you were to head west (e.g. Dublin-Los Angeles-Sydney).....or if you were to head east via hong kong, singapore

Originally posted by Dub13
    How long would the flight be each way...I mean if you were to head west (e.g. Dublin-Los Angeles-Sydney).....or if you were to head east via hong kong, singapore

It's much of a muchness really depending on what connections through what airports but it's two long flights (10/11 hours each) plus, say, your flight to or from London, Frankfurt or wherever (though Aer Lingus does fly to LA nonstop, seems to be popular for heading down under).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I' going on a long haul flight to Thailand and was wondering if my girlfriend and I can pool our weight together in 1 big suitcase which would give us 40kgs or is there some restriction on the weight a single suitcase can be?

Any help much appreciated:D

• Advertisement

see thats the thing ,, when we went on holiday a few years back there was about 50 of use, and we asked could all our bags be done as a combined weight, and that was fine, but i dont know if they let you combine it in one bag.

I'd say that is more down to the check-in agent then anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Could be who you get on the day, And I'll have a spare case just incase.
    I'll go to a male checkin person there nearly always better to explain the situation to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I do alot of travelling and have been stung for overweight which can turn out to be expensive. If there are a few of you travelling then pool your weight. You could try this, I've done it in Dublin and have been lucky to get away with it so far. If you have a backpack they call it "oversized luggage" so it gets checked in at a different area. I usually have a large bag (ironically bigger than my backpack) and a backpack. When I check in I just place the large bag on the scales and I say that the other is oversized luggage and I get handed the sticker for it and it doesn't get weighed. Of course it depends on who is checking you in but I haven't been asked to place my backpack on the scales yet!

Originally posted by TIPPTOP
    I' going on a long haul flight to Thailand and was wondering if my girlfriend and I can pool our weight together in 1 big suitcase which would give us 40kgs or is there some restriction on the weight a single suitcase can be?

Any help much appreciated:D

Pooling isn't a problem however as you guessed there is a max on how heavy a single piece can be (32kgs at most). Any more than that is outside health and safety regulations for handling (if heavier you may get away with it depending on who you're dealing with but I wouldn't chance it since they'd be well within their rights to tell you to get lost and sort it out on the spot... major hassle buying an extra bag at the airport and repacking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ryanair is 15kg for all baggage including carry-on - be aware they tend to check at hubs not terminii - that way you can't offload stuff easily.

Most European destinations are 20kg but the USA tends to be 40kg. However it very much depends on the airline, ticket and flight (some just don't bother if the plane is half empty).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Just back from OZ using Quantas/BA. Absoluelty no problem with my two bags,total weight 25kg.

And those flights were over booked too.

So don't take the mick and you'll be fine (or put heavy items in hand baggage:D )

If you ring them they will certainly tell you the official line, whatever
    that may be!!

just checked our tickets, We are allowed 30 KG's :) thats better then what i tought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

On Aer Lingus flights, it is 20kg to Europe and 32kg Transatlantic. It will either say on your carriers web site or the iternary you should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

Originally posted by Victor
    Ryanair is 15kg for all baggage including carry-on - be aware they tend to check at hubs not terminii - that way you can't offload stuff easily.

Most European destinations are 20kg but the USA tends to be 40kg. However it very much depends on the airline, ticket and flight (some just don't bother if the plane is half empty).

It's 15kg checked and 7kg for carry on - total 22kg.

Also, wheter or not you'll be charged on Ryanair largely depends on what time of the month it is. As far as I'm aware (talking to check in staff) thay have to makeat least 5,000 euro a month in excess baggage charges, so once they go over that most of them won't care. I've taken 35kg total onto Ryanair flights on multiple occasions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement