Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC,ITV or Sky.....?

• 01-05-2004 1:02pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Which station do you think do the best Live game,for me it has to be the BBC its not just the no adds I just think its the best.Then Sky but I hate andy "I love man utd" gray.And then there is ITV well they are crap the only thing you can say about it is its better than TV3 but thats not saying much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Sky for me. the pre and post match coverage blows BBC and ITV away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Top Channel tv it may be in Albanian but it beats having to listen to Andy Gray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

1. BBC - I like the old school feel to it.
    2. Sky - I actually like Tyler and Gray commentating, but none of the others stick out as being all that good
    3. ITV - The football is the only decent thing on that channel, and it's not that good. But yeah, infinitely better than RTE or TV3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by Exit
    1. BBC - I like the old school feel to it.
    2. Sky - I actually like Tyler and Gray commentating, but none of the others stick out as being all that good
    3. ITV - The football is the only decent thing on that channel, and it's not that good. But yeah, infinitely better than RTE or TV3.

Have to agree with everything except ITV better than RTE .

I must be the only one who likes listening to commentry from George ( i dont have a clue ) Hamilton and Jim ( i used to be a proffesional ) Beglin .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Sky, they do it better then anyone else.

BBC and ITV are O.K. but it shows that it's not their priority.

RTE and TV3 suck big time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Sky without question for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Which of RTE, BBC, ITV and Sky are showing live European Championships matches ?
    Sky definitely put in the biggest effort when it comes to presentation. I prefer ITV to RTE for the Champo League games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

andy gray is the most irritating commentator in the world... the specialality is the bleedin obvious

motty is a legend..prefer to watch bbc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Has to be the BBC for me. I think they probably have the best pundit/commentary team about, no ad breaks etc. (Can't wait to see the return of MOTD next season on it)

Sky second, their interactive coverage is great & as Mossy says their post & pre-match analysis is great.

RTÉ come third. I dont really mind George & Jim, better than ITV anyday if you ask me.

ITV - Don't have the first clue how to cover sport. (Except maybe F1)

TV3 - Packie Bonner, AARRGGHH (need I say any more?)

five - Have never seen him (I don't get five), but I've been told John Barnes even a worse presenter than Packie. /me shudders

Originally posted by celticfc
    I've been told John Barnes even a worse presenter than Packie

and with that the bad memories come flooding back :eek: :( :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

It definitely has to be Sky for the overal presentation, with the various video's, build-up interviews, all the "Showbiz" stuff.
    Best team of pundits though would have to be BBC simply because of Alan hansen- the only one who always seems to know what he is talking about and doesn't state the obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

My fav is Sky, just great presentation. Just annoying ads tho i usually leave the room to get a snack or something.

BBS is a close second cos of the no ads.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sky are best, but then people expect good coverage, considering that you've to pay monthly to watch the sports channels.

I'd rate BBC a close second (their BBCi service is pretty good)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Its hands down to the BBC here, their presentation of soccer is excellent and I am delighted that Match of the Day proper is back next season.

Avoid watching matches on RTE as their coverage is quite amaturish. TV3 well what can I say about Packie Bonner the human version of teak. ITV is ok. Cannot stand Andy Gray so that really effects me watching Sky.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It would have to be Sky, because I can't stand the sensationalist John Motson - "Oh my God, its a throw-in!!!"
    Andy Gray isnt much better, but the Sky Coverage blows BBC out of the water. Having said that, I can't wait for MOTD to return. Just hearing the theme tune again at half 10 on a saturday night will give me goosepimples.

ITV are alright I suppose, pretty boring, but I do like the Premiership on Monday. Always good for a laugh/trivia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

Sky without a doubt - Andy Gray is great...Chris Camara is cool as well if ya ever hear him commentating gives a bit of excitement to boring games.

John Motson..is the most annoying c**t there is.

Tv3's commentary is the worst ever

Itv was alright, when Big Ron was there

Rte is fine as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sky's coverage is without a doubt the best, apart from the fact that every game is the be-all and end-all of the world.

I mean, a match between Fulham and Charlton ( no offence to either team ) on a cold and dreary November night is hardly anything to get excited about, but Sky make a big song and dance about it.

BBC is very good too, Hansen knows his stuff, but sometimes Schmeichel talks a bit of crap. I like Motson as a commentator, some don't, but I do. I also like the BBCi feature that allows you to turn on the FiveLive commentary, especially when Alan Green is on, he is hilarious!

ITV can be good, but Ally McCoist is just annoying, and Andy Townsend is no replacement for Big(ot) Ron.

For those of you who prefer SKY i have good news , Sky sports will be showing Wales and Northern Ireland games for the next few years .

What is the reson for sky not showing the world cup and european championships , is it because they are a satelite company ? / or they simply dont have the rights .

Its good that they have south american qualiying games aswell .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

i prefer the beeb to sky mainly because of the choice of pundits they have, they are far superior to those of sky. tv3 and itv suck but i like watching rte for the comic value. its always a laugh to hear dunphy going on about how the game should be played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Sky has the best production values and Andy Gray, the BBC has Motson (who I like, but I think is actually better on highlights than live ) and the best pundits, RTÉ do well with George and Johnny Giles. As stated ITV cant do sport; we will see this again during Euro 2004.

I will say that they new look Sunday Game (GAA) on RTÉ blew me away with its production values yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Sky is without doubt the best. There is no one better the Andy Grey.
    They put alot of effort into there production and its the best.
    RTE is ok, George and Jim do well on the Ireland matches. but John Giles doesnt cut it for me. BBC is really bad, if i ever want to fall asleep i hope there is BBC Commontary on cause they are boring.
    TV3 are just as bad. Listing to Kevin Moran is horriable. oh god you just want to kill yourself.
    I really like ITV doing the Premiership, its almost as good as Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Does anyone watch the 'Premiership on Monday' program on ITV ? It's really well done, they ask a football question every week and yer man Matt presenter-guy is very good imo. The Premiership on N2 is unbearable at times, they all look like they should be sitting on the toilet not in a tv studio !

Dewey u beleive that BBC and TV 3 are as bad as each other :eek: . No -one could possibly hate bbc so much that they would think tv3 is as good no-one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

RTE's punditry is pretty good. Unfortunatly the commentary team is without a doubt the worst available to us here in Ireland.

George Hamilton has not got a clue. One thing that really bugs me is his pronunciation. When pronouncing a foreign players name he makes such an effort with it, he come out with a pronunciaiton used by nobody else on the planet - Then sounds smug with it.

His anecdotes are cringeworthy. Why is he still on television, the man is a joke!

Originally posted by Space Coyote
    Does anyone watch the 'Premiership on Monday' program on ITV ?

its the only programme from ITV's premiership coverage that i like. it's very good but could do with being on a little bit earlier

Advertisement