Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wannabe Horror??

Options
  • 01-05-2004 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the way a lot of movies nowadays are advertised as having a horror/supernatural element in them when actually they have nothing to do with horror whatsoever.

The two most recent examples I can think of are “Taking Lives” and “Secret Window” (there are more). If you knew nothing about these films except what you saw in the trailer you would think they were (somewhat) horror movies!

They weren’t! They were just bad thrillers.

Maybe I’m just going crazy or maybe “Horror” attracts a much bigger audience than people think and the producers are deliberately taking advantage of this. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I went to see 'Taking Lives' last week, and I hadn't seen any of the trailers + TV spots, or read any reviews. I did kinda expect a potential horror element from the poster, but as you say, it was a lame, horrid thriller.
    I posted a review over in the Film forum, so I've vented as much as I'm going to about the movie ;)

Still though, thrillers can be very similar to horror movies, especially ones like 'Taking Lives' with serial killers & all that. Meh, I dunno, either way a sucky movie is still a sucky movie whatever way it's marketed.

Secret Window looks really bad from the trailer. I have to admit, when I saw the trailer the first time & the guy says that Depp stole/took his story, I thought they were implying that the guy was a fictional character come to life to make him write the ending of his story. Silly me going for the supernatural/horror/scifi-y slant :rolleyes:
    2nd time I saw the trailer I understood that he was another writer that thinks Depp's story that nobody knows about is very similar to something he wrote....or WHATEVER, the movie looks crap :p

Advertisement