Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all set up questions

• 01-05-2004 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

i just set up my broadband with iol plus through the ethernet port. how do i test pings and stuff?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

1) Make sure you are not using your internet connection

2) Open up a dos window if possible. If ya can't type everything into the "start - run" dialog.

3) Type in ping www.boards.ie -t

4) Then leave it for a few minutes, and then press CTRL-BREAK (break is in the top right of your keyboard).

Then copy down the ping statistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

whenever i do that it just says timedout and then when a hit ctrl break it says packets sent 1 received 0 lost 1. it says in the zyxel manual that ping tests are compatible with iol

1A) Make sure your firewall (either hardware or software) isn;t blocking pings. It sounds like something is blocking the pings on ya.

turned off my firewall, still happening. on a different note mutant, do you reckon you could get ibb at doctor macauleys on the ballyroan road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

You should be getting something like the following:
    Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
        Packets: Sent = 15, Received = 15, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 109ms, Maximum =  937ms, Average =  613ms

Yes, they are poor, normally much better :)

Sounds like a firewall problem. Do you have a software firewall in Windows? Is there a firewall on your modem?

• Advertisement

i'm using the norton firewall, i disable it before i do the test but that still happens

Make sure windows XP firewall is off, that could be causing the problems.

If you have a router with firewall/nat, then you should probably check the manual and check it to make sure it isn't blocking the pings.

Also, if you want to give me your current IP address (in a PM if you want) i could try and ping you.

As for Dr. McAuleys, i'd say he should be able to get it with the standard gear, and definately with the 5.8ghz stuff, as that has a longer range. I remember hearing before that i was near the edge of their range, but still within it. I'm only about 200metres down the road from him...

ok, how do i get my ip adress? i have no gripes about the speed of the connection, i get over 50 off heanet and usually above 30 from kazaa lite, i'd just like to know my pings. it doesnt feel like i have bb til i post up some stats:rolleyes:

www.whatismyip.com

unfortunately with IOL you get a dynamic IP, so it changes everytime you disconnect (or at midnight). But if oyu have a router, it won't change unless yo plug out the router (or at midnight).

Advertisement