Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joyce - overrated?

Options
  • 01-05-2004 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

a few weeks ago Roddy Doyle was in the paper basically saying that James Joyce is overrated. does anyone else agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

This was already discussed in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

ok i give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Give up?

We still haven't heard what your opinion is.

I linked to that thread because I posted in it and I didn't want to repeat myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

who cares? its an old topic and god forbid i commit the cardinal sin of boards, and try to discuss something already discussed.

no biggie. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭parker larkin

old topic, new poster

I do love to read Portrait of an Artist repeatedly
    Have never had the balls to tackle Ulysses.. yet
    Waiting till I'm older, and possibly unemployed.

I really enjoy Portrait. Dubliners I'd need to reread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carpocrates

It would surprise me into a stroke if Roddy Doyle could spell his own name, or tie his shoelaces, let alone hope to finish reading a book without his ma reading it to him over a cup of steaming milk in bed.
    After proving himself an outstanding comic-novelist someone obviously hit him over the head an odd number of times so that he began wearing black, took on wearing a filthy glowering countenance along the lines of grumpy smurf, taking himself seriously in interviews and talking about writers he clearly never understood, the Russians for example. Joyce is another example.
    He's saying Joyce was overrated. Why? Because he doesn't understand modernism? Or Joyce's influence? I think Mr. Doyle should go back to writing his funny little books about Colm Meaney and stop trying to be a grwon up :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carpocrates

and so says me.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement