Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone website

Options
  • 01-05-2004 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Erm

any info on why vodafone.ie has died ? its been down since yesterday at least...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

Just did a DNS lookup for www.vodafone.ie , unknown host.
    DNS records for the vodafone.ie domain seem to be hosted by a company called netsearchers.com - but they have no entry for www.vodafone.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

somebody call Vodafone ASAP with the news!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Its back now. Crisis averted ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nope still down here..

I have noticed the site seems to be faster latetly. Usually the site would be dog slow come midday, but it seems to have improved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Originally posted by wheresmybeaver
    Its back now. Crisis averted ;-)

I still can't get it? Has vodafone.ie ceased?

• Advertisement

As well as there being no DNS record for www.vodafone.ie, I notice that the DNS MX record for vodafone.ie seems to be wrong as well.
    MX records basically tell you what email server to use to deliver email to, they seem to be pointing at mxhost-1.vi.net
    But if you try to send an email to a vodafone.ie email address via this email server it tells you that "Relay access denied" - which is bad - tends to suggest that it doesn't actually handle incoming vodafone.ie email.
    So I guess if someone tries to send an email to someone with a vodafone.ie email address it'll be 'bounced'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Its kinda odd, last night when I was at home on my dial-up eircom connection, vodafone.ie as working fine and dandy, repeatedly, at exactly the time that everyone else was having problems (jesus_thats.. etc)

But today I'm on the UCC computers and the website ain't working at all.

Something to do with broadband or cable?

Just as well I'm an O2 customer I suppose! Although I've been enjoying sending anonymous texts from my old 087 number from a few years ago on vodafone webtext.. :-)

Just re-read what I posted yesterday. While I was correct, it may not have meant much sense to many of you, mea culpa.

The website is still there, up and running, try accessing http://213.233.129.155 to see it (don't know if you'll be able to login though).
    The problem is that the 'human' address, that is www.vodafone.ie , no longer translates to an address that computers can use.
    When computers need to talk to each other over the Internet, they use a number format in the form X.X.X.X (e.g. 213.233.129.155). Obviously this is quite similar to the way we can call someone by using their full phone number.
    While computers use this way of finding/talking to each other, its not easy for humans to remember long strings of numbers, so we use a more human-friendly way of referring to computers (e.g. www.vodafone.ie).
    Computers need some way of translating these human-friendly addresses into a format they can use, to do this they use things called DNS servers.
    When a computer gets a human-friendly address, it talks to its local DNS server (somewhere on the Internet) and asks it for the computer-friendly version of the human-friendly name it has been given. This DNS server may need to talk to other DNS servers, but it should be able to get the answer.
    Now, for each human-friendly name (domain) theres a 'owner' DNS server. This owner DNS server is the final authority for translating that particular human form to computer form.

What seems to have happened with vodafone.ie is that the 'owner' DNS server for vodafone.ie seems to have binned all the possible lookups for vodafone.ie

Why somepeople were able to access it last night, while I and others couldn't, is that (as I mentioned above) when translating a human name, the first DNS server talked to is your local DNS server. These local servers can 'remember' what the lookup for a particular human name was for a number of hours, after which, they will then attempt to talk to the 'owner' DNS server to recheck the details.
    Unfortunately the owner DNS server doesn't know anything anymore about www.vodafone.ie, so no-one on the Internet is able to translate the human form to the computer form.

Look at it this way, most people can't remember all the phone numbers for all their friends, and they keep their names/numbers in their phones 'phone book'. When they want to call them, they simply look up their name, and call them.
    Imagine if someone deleted your entire phone book. You could still call them if you know their phone number, but you now have no easy way of finding that phone number.

As to why/how this happened, now that I don't know..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by soiaf
    The website is still there, up and running, try accessing http://213.233.129.155 to see it (don't know if you'll be able to login though).
    You won't, at least not without hassle to yourself. The entire site uses absolute links instead of relative ones. I complained about this to web team before, when something similar happened, and we could only access it internally via IP. "Nah, no that wouldn't help..."

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

ye I had tried the IP address but as you said above the links and servlets are all vodafone.ie....

sigh

• Advertisement

Changed my default nameserver to ns1.netsearchers.com:
    > ls vodafone.ie 
    [ns1.netsearchers.com]
     vodafone.ie.                   NS     server = ns1.netsearchers.com          
     vodafone.ie.                   NS     server = ns2.netsearchers.com          
     agentfe                        A      159.134.5.1
     billmanager                    A      213.233.159.40
     billmanagertrial               A      193.195.83.210
     connect                        A      213.233.129.247
     danu                           A      213.233.128.23
     elearning                      A      213.233.129.155
     elearning1                     A      213.233.129.135
     elearning2                     A      213.233.129.136
     emailanywhere                  A      213.233.159.8
     emailanywhere-test             A      213.233.159.9
     mail.etrieve                   A      194.106.143.116
     [url]www.getadeal[/url]                   A      213.86.49.226
     gw1                            A      213.233.129.193
     gw2                            A      213.233.129.194
     imap                           A      213.233.128.68
     logo                           A      136.206.176.4
     logos                          A      136.206.176.4
     lughnasa                       A      213.233.128.5
     mail                           A      213.233.128.65
     mailsweep01                    A      213.233.129.100
     mim                            A      213.233.159.36
     mml                            A      213.233.159.18
     mmm                            A      213.233.129.155
     mmm1                           A      213.233.128.134
     mmm2                           A      213.233.128.152
     mobilemania                    A      193.120.171.4
     mpay                           A      213.233.129.152
     nap1                           A      213.233.129.247
     nap2                           A      213.233.129.244
     nap3                           A      213.233.129.245
     odin                           A      213.233.129.131
     pop                            A      213.233.128.68
     [url]www.store[/url]                      A      213.233.129.150
     streaming                      A      213.233.128.195
     thor                           A      213.233.129.129
     vfgames                        A      212.133.33.199
     vpn                            A      213.233.129.243
     vsky                           A      213.233.128.180
     wap                            A      213.233.129.156
     webmail1                       A      213.233.128.6
     webmail2                       A      213.233.128.24
     www                            A      213.233.129.155

Weird....
    Still can't resolve www.vodafone.ie

www.vodafone.ie is back working for me now!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Still down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea it's working again, but nearly everytime I try to send a message I get a "server error" message. Have to keep retrying and retrying till it goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its down again.. I wonder why??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Cliph

I still can't login this morning.
    Gettting this when I try to:
    Ready to Go Registration
    If you have not already registered your details with us, you will need to do so to use My Vodafone.
    I'm not a RTG customer and haven't been for a very long time.

Yeah, same thing here. Someone has done something very bold this Monday morning.

I can still check my mail though, so I'm happy. :)

Are any normal Pay Monthly people getting this register thing, or is it only people who've migrated from RTG. Seems to be the latter....

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GenericName

Nope i was getting that and my account has never been RTG. Problem was there last night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by seamus
    Are any normal Pay Monthly people getting this register thing, or is it only people who've migrated from RTG. Seems to be the latter....

working grand for me at the moment with a Pay Monthly and RTG account (but neither were migrations)

BrianG

• Advertisement
Advertisement