Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayday is after kicking off

• 01-05-2004 9:08pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just looking at RTE news and the Riot police had to move in about 30min ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

but they are all peaccfull marchers. bloody sop dodging hippies, how are they going to explain video footage of protesters kicking police and throwing bottles and the like at unarmed gards. I suppose the trouble makers are gards in disguise trying to start riots. Ah the phrase "indiscriminate use of rubber bullets" would be one id like to hear right bout now. thatll learn 'em. How they can blame the gards is beyond me, for weeks the gards have been sayibg that an unarmed cordon will be around the park and if anyone tries to break it action will be taken and the riot squad called, so imo anyone who gets a smack of a batton deserves it, they were warned. If i went ot on the street and smashed a bottle on a gards head, id expect at least a decent hideing, and these people think if they turn up claiming to be peaceful, they can do what they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

It's times like these I wish I was a Garda.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Watching the Sky News footage it looks a bit lame. Basicly its a few dozen crusties taking a power shower.

I'm sure indymedia will spin this into a major riot of state brutality!

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I would like to no what that girl that was on the Late Late show would say now.....

yea its on Sky News now

• Advertisement

she was on rte for about 10 seconds saying something along the lines of " i hope u report this, i now peacefull protest doesnt make good news" all the while shes surrounded by people dressed in black with balaclavas, the next shot showed the same people kicking the police riot sjields and running at them, while bottles and the like are flying over/

Wonder why people coming for a peacefull protest want to hide their identities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Maddox has the solution to everything.

wcower7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

At least they'll finally get a wash anyway...

Follow the spin -

http://www.indymedia.ie/index.php

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

bloody sky news is repeating itself every 5 mins useless fookers

• Advertisement

Originally posted by mukki
    bloody sky news is repeating itself every 5 mins useless fookers

Its gets confusing does'nt it? The sky is still bright on er Sky.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

bloody scumbags thats all they are i say kill em all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

oh sure its probably too dark to keep filming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Three cheers to the guards if the give the SWP/indymedia crowd of hoity toity D4 w*nkers a good beating...i'd have paid good money to see that :-)

God I hate those self righteous little gits.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Sky News - apparently 13 arrests so far and one Garda taken to hospital

There’re heading to Cabira (sp?)

The picture from Sky’s camera on front of garda line looks to be taking out by the water cannon, while one behind the line stopped after they were talking to a garda the last think I heard was “we’re from Sky news” or something to that effect – No new pictures for at least 15mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm still waiting to see a riot here. So far I've seen a bunch of garda waving batons at unarmed kids from behind riot shields and firing water cannons for fun at people who aren't doing anything.

Still an idiotic waste of money by the DoJ if you ask me.

Feck's sake, you get more people arrested on Friday night on O'Connell street, and a lot more injuries and violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by mike65
    Its gets confusing does'nt it? The sky is still bright on er Sky.

Mike.

Poor old sky news :rolleyes:

It is the problem with being a "LIVE!!!!!!" news channel, they have to be on the air saying something even if nothing has actually happened in the last few minutes.

You have to admit they way they drag things out over the quiet time is quite breathtaking. I hear the report say at least twice "Live from the march in Dublin, which is the capital of the Republic of Ireland" I expected him to say next ".. which is a small island in the north atlantic. The main industries are ... bla bla bla" :p

Originally posted by Sparks
    I'm still waiting to see a riot here.

The unarmed and unprotected gardi line were being pelted with missiles. That is when the protected riot police were called in, with the water cannon to disperse the crowd from the police line. What would you expect the unprotected gardi line to do, take it with good grace?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Sky News report is pretty annoying, the same video looped, some stupid reporter talking about how important the GPO is to the ROI... sap.

from what I gather (from sky, although Im not going to swallow it just yet) is that they marched somewhere they said they wouldnt, police moved in, tried to push them back, and used the cannon... if they used the cannon before anything happened theyre idiots, however, from the looks of the video it aint the hippies starting trouble, its a load of opportunist scumbags in skanda jackets.

Saw one idiot throw a bottle at riot cops, one cop used his shield to push him back, and he put his hands up and got all defensive, acting as if he was being picked on, the sap.

tbh this is a shame, Im dont really agree with most of the protesters, maybe afew bits here and there but generally I dont, but at least they were getting to protest peacefully and were doing so, these muppets with no political thought are just hoping to get afew digs into the 'pigs' so they can blame the hippies for once.

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Wicknight
    Poor old sky news :rolleyes:

It is the problem with being a "LIVE!!!!!!" news channel, they have to be on the air saying something even if nothing has actually happened in the last few minutes.

It's not that at all. I was watching when it was live and the camera man got sprayed with water, his camera made some fizzy noises then cut out. After that they couldn't see anything.

Originally posted by Wicknight
    The unarmed and unprotected gardi line were being pelted with missiles.
    Unarmed? Wicknight, if you think a garda baton is the equivalent of being unarmed, you must be one tough customer!

And they're meant to do what they do when faced with the far nastier scenarios they get on friday night every week in Dublin - not call in the riot squad but deal with it. Dammit, if only a few hundred can manage a protest of well over a hundred thousand without any incident, I don't see why this, much, much smaller protest, needs four million euro's worth of resources, as well as all the paniced blaring in the Indo and Ireland on Sunday and the other media sources over the past weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Unarmed? Wicknight, if you think a garda baton is the equivalent of being unarmed, you must be one tough customer!

There was a line of normally uniformed gardai (non riot-gear, just the normal reflective jackets and soft-top hat) blocking the march/whatever at first. Only after these gardai had stuff thrown at them did the riot squad take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Hobbes
    It's not that at all. I was watching when it was live and the camera man got sprayed with water, his camera made some fizzy noises then cut out. After that they couldn't see anything.
    Someone shout "Police brutality!" :)

If only technology was advance so we could watch live video from a mobile phone or something. Although I have seen a still picture from mobile phone to a website published automatically.

I’ve also seen no rioters on Sky. Although I’ve seen is the police baton some youths. One garda very clearly hitting his/her shield at what looked like teenage girl/young woman who had her back turned to the garda line, she was all right, but I couldn’t see any need for the action.

SKY – their last number was 25 arrested

And they're meant to do what they do when faced with the far nastier scenarios they get on friday night every week in Dublin - not call in the riot squad but deal with it. Dammit, if only a few hundred can manage a protest of well over a hundred thousand without any incident, I don't see why this, much, much smaller protest, needs four million euro's worth of resources, as well as all the paniced blaring in the Indo and Ireland on Sunday and the other media sources over the past weeks.

Sparks, there is a police line that cannot be broken simply because it would not be a line then and the protestors would walk straight through. The police cannot move out of the way. If they are unprotected then they have to stand there, in a line, while they have glass thrown at them.

If you think any police man will stand still in the same spot, unprotected, on a Fiday/Saturday night while drunks throw glass at them you are mistaken.

Originally posted by Moriarty
    There was a line of normally uniformed gardai (non riot-gear, just the normal reflective jackets and soft-top hat) blocking the march/whatever at first. Only after these gardai had stuff thrown at them did the riot squad take over.
    Right, so they were unarmed, were they? So if I should walk down Grafton street with a baton strapped to my belt, the gardai wouldn't have any problem with that at all?
    :rolleyes:

Besides, you've yet to show why this protest needed four million euro's worth of deployment (and the lives risked by not having those gardai where they're needed this weekend), while much larger ones in more public areas did not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hey crusties, get a fúcking job.

I'm still waiting to see a riot here. So far I've seen a bunch of garda waving batons at unarmed kids from behind riot shields and firing water cannons for fun at people who aren't doing anything.

Feck's sake, you get more people arrested on Friday night on O'Connell street, and a lot more injuries and violence.

So what right do "un-armed kids" have to throw missiles at police and charge them while kicking the shields? I hardly call that peacefull. And theres no point in saying the gaurds were indiscriminately hitting people, as with any police/garda line the gards had their arms intrerlocked, so ho could they be using their batons. The riot squad were using the batons after they were called in because these people were attacking gards.

• Advertisement

www.rte.ie/news is reporting that everything has eased off and that other marches passed off peacefully.

So that is that then. The sh*t didn't hit the fan. Whats on the other channel....

www.sky.co.uk/skynews is, of course, in full "OH MY GOD!! DO GO AWAY!!!" mode, but it is their usual "we have to justify having a 24 hour live television station" sillyness, just like the "LIVE!!!!!!" (TM) coverage of the Iraq war.

Originally posted by Stekelly
    So what right do "un-armed kids" have to throw missiles at police and charge them while kicking the shields?
    None of course. Where did I say they did? I said that the level of police presence was wildly, absurdly, idiotically, wastefully over-the-top.

not to nit-pick but both a bottle and a baton constitute being armed, so by your reasoning if the gards are armed, then so are the protesters.

Indymedia
    When the demonstation was close to the police there was a call from the block near the front that the police were stopping the demo and people would try and continue - if anyone didn't want to take part they should move back. Some time later the block linked up and moved to push against the yellow jackets. Little was thrown at this point - some placards and cans.

Ok, it is not very "peacefull" to try and break the police line by force, while throwing missiles. I am not really sure the point the protestors were trying to make with this action. Anyone want to explain?

not to nit-pick but both a bottle and a baton constitute being armed, so by your reasoning if the gards are armed, then so are the protesters.

Correction at least most of the police were armed, while unless you have other information most of the protesters were not.

• Advertisement

yeah, an explanation please. Especially considering that they were told that if they tried to break the line, the riot squad would be brought in. That, imo, only leaves the blame at the door of the protestors.

Originally posted by monument
    Correction at least most of the police were armed, while unless you have other information most of the protesters were not.

Right fair enough, they werent armed for very long, because they were flinging it at the police!!!!

And as i said earlier, the garda line (ordinary rank and file) had their arms linked so werent using their batons, anyway its part of their uniforms so wht should they leave it behind because some hippies dont like the idea of people they are teying to injure with bottles and the like being able to fight back.

some hippies dont like the idea of people they are teying to injure with bottles and the like being able to fight back.
    Yeah, 'cos we all know that hippie philosophy is based on glassing as many people as possible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by mike65
    Google are'nt doing much better-

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&tab=wn&scoring=d&q=mayday+riot+dublin&btnG=Search+News

the bots must be on a go-slow.

Mike.
    Ah you're searching for the wrong thing Mike.

Rather than search for "riot" "mayday" "dublin", you just need to do one for Dublin. Lots of stuff there then.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

RTE are reporting that 1 female garda was injured and 40 protestors were arrested. It appears that those arrested are from London and Cardiff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Ah look at the un-armed kids!!

_40105957_shields-pa-203x300.jpg

Sure one is trick or treating as a ninja and the other is practicing his home-run swing.

€15m to give these crustys a wash!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by clownboy
    Ah look at the un-armed kids!!

_40105957_shields-pa-203x300.jpg

Sure one is trick or treating as a ninja and the other is practicing his home-run swing.

Could that be a bottle of Coke in the ninja's combats pocket?

No Logo me ar*e...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I'm still waiting to see a riot here.

You didn't see a riot because the Gardai acted quickly and professionally to prevent one through the deployment of overwhelming force. As a result, they had to use very little of it.

What did you expect them to do? Offer a fair fight? That would guarantee many injuries on both sides.

I have to say I'm impressed with the Gardai tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Seems as though Sky blew it all out of proportion. My dad was working at it and he said that the scenes you saw on the tv was basically all that happened, and they just kept looping it over and over again. And none of the stuff I saw was too harmful on either part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

you've yet to show why this protest needed four million euro's worth of deployment

I do not, for one minute, believe this 4 million euro figure is true. The media regularly just pluck random figures out of the air, this seems no different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was watching that langer with the mask on Sky. What he needs is his mother to walk up behind him, whip the mask off, slap him on the arse and drag him away by the ear. He'd prolly cry all the way, the little tosser.

In all fairness though, there were 3 or 4 dickheads maximum in the loop I saw on Sky. Most of the people being targetted with the water cannon were a good 10-15 feet away from the line of Gardaí, with their hands in their pockets.

If that's the "worst" Sky was able to get...

adam

I'm not one normaly to praise them but the Gardai seemed to do a bloody good job tonight. It all passed off with a minimum of fuss. I was expecting the water cannon to be more spectacular, maybe they had it on "light shower" rather than "torrential down pour":D

Did anybody see the bloke in the Celtic top...my god what a plonker,he stuck out a like anything big green and white top and he was right in the tick of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Dub13
    Did anybody see the bloke in the Celtic top...my god what a plonker,he stuck out a like anything big green and white top and he was right in the tick of it.

Classy Celtic supporters there!! They are used to it.. Any Everton supporters there??

Its good to see that the people arrested were foreign too. Proves what was been said all along!

• Advertisement
Advertisement