Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accomodation - Hawaii

• 01-05-2004 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

hey all,
    im headed to hawaii on june the 2nd for the summer on a J1 visa. Im staying in Lahaina in Maui. I was just wondering has anyone stayed here before and where? There are 4 of us headed over so we be looking to rent an apt cheaply and central.

Any other info on accomodation & other stuff in Maui much appreciated as i cant find much on google.

Many thanks
    Pat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Maui is awesome plus considerably more beautiful and less built up than the main island.

You must do the volcano mountain bike trip. Picked up at around 3 in the morning and bussed up to the top where you can watch dawn break over the lip of the volcano then on your (provided) mountain bike for something like a 20-30 mile trip all the way down to the coast, an absolutely incredible trip. (and also what they like to coin the only 'calorie-gain' mountain bike ride you'll ever take, like 90% of it is freewheeling downhill with a stop halfway for breakie! :D )

You should check out Big Beach (really lives up to its' name) and Little Beach (nude beach, go to the far right hand corner of Big Beach and there's a bit of climbing over rocks to get over to it).

Lahaina is pretty chilled out but can't help on accom we stayed in a hotel.

(One quick point, even if u are a strong swimmer be extremely carefull going for a dip in the ocean, there are some major undertows around that can really catch you unawares in seconds... even if you're only up to your waist... trust me on this :( Was lucky myself but the pacific is unforgiving)

If i think of anything else I'll post it, Maui is great and the locals very friendly, just remember many of them consider themselves Hawaiians first and very distantly U.S. citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

Hey i was in Maui last summer what a beautiful island. I stayed in Keihei tho which is about a 45minute trip from Laihaina.The best place to look for information about accommodations on Maui including condominiums available to rent is on
    http://maui.gohawaii.com/ and scroll over accommodations.
    You may also visit the website of Maui's local newspaper at www.mauinews.com (this was quite helpful!) and click on their classifieds section.
    I was only visiting for a week so i dont really know much about accom/jobs. Hope this is of use and that others will have more info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Waxing the Gaza

I lived i Maui for 6 months about 2 years ago and loved every minute of it.There are only 2 hostels on the island and NO PUBLIC BUS SERVICE.You will have to rent a car as soon as you get off the plane.Of the 2 hostels there is one in Lahinia and one in Kahalui.Dont stay in the one in Kahalui(Bananna Bungallow).The hostel in Lahinia is more like someones house with an extension built on but its clean and friendly and a good base to start looking for accomadation.The maui news(daily news paper)is a good source of info on condos,apartments etc.However it will probably be difficult to find cheap accomadation in Lahinia as it is the most expensive town on maui.The majority of rental accomodation is in Kihei and you might find it easier to get somthing there.Plent of waiting jobs all over the Island, if you are lucky you can earn upwards of $100 in tips per night,average is about 50bucks.There are some amazing sights on Maui the main highlights for me were Haleakala crater,the Hana Highway and the west Maui Mountains.
    hope this was some help.
    feel free to mail me if you want any more information on the island.
    johnleahy@hotmail.com

Advertisement