Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few issues with Meteor

Options
  • 02-05-2004 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I have been using a 085 Meteor sim as personal number on an off now for nearly a year. A few friends are 085 too and the free texts are just too good to say not too.. However, I have noticed a few things they do and say in their adverts...

1 - In order to send free texts you must top up with 20 euro at one go each month. When you come to the end of the free texts after 4 weeks, they send you an sms telling you that you need to top up again to continue getting free sms. I have noticed that they actualy send this message at least 3 days early. The message does not give a specific time as to when the 4 weeks period is up, it just basically say "To continue availing of free text messages, you much top up now". This is obviously a scam to encourage customer to top up earlier than required, thus getting an extra few top ups each year.

2 - Their advertisements stating that they are 33% cheaper than Vodafone and O2. I recently noticed how they got this figure. Vodafone's ARPU (Average Revenue Per User) is just under €600 a year, while Meteor's is just under €400. So, Meteor customer spend 33% less per year, thus save 33% a year. This would sort of be acceptable if they were comparing the same customer types. Meteor's customer base is made up mainly for Prepaid subscribers - something like 95% or more, with the rest mainly being personal Postpaid customers. Vodafone customer base is (very rough) split 65/35 between Prepaid and Postpaid customers. Taking that into account, its interesting to know that the the ARPU of a Vodafone Prepaid subscriber is more of less €400 as well. So using Meteors way of manipulating figures, they are not any cheaper than Vodafone...

[/rant]

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

I think meteor is great so i'm obviously biased but it is not possible they tell you the free texts end that early so that you wont start paying for texts to 085 the second you recieve that message and to give you time to top up by €20?

While you are probably right as to how they calculated the 33%, i have dropped from spending €50-60 pm on the other two networks to €20 on meteor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭halkar

Agree with Celticwarrior, I do think Meteor is great too. I switched to them from 02 bill phone to Meteor bill phone for a while but changed to Meteor prepaid recently without being penalized in the middle of the contract. Plus they are giving me 10 yoyos free credit every month ( I thought she was joking about this when I was switching to prepaid :D ) plus plus another 2 yoyos if you top up in Spar ;) for 20 yoyos I have 32 yoyos of credit :D So maybe they are 33% cheaper after all. I don't know and i don't care I am happy with Meteor :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre

2 - Their advertisements stating that they are 33% cheaper than Vodafone and O2.

Most people I know that have switched have saved a hell of a lot more than 33%. 33% seems a reasonable claim to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

More than likely you receive the text reminding you to top again - 'early' as you say is because most companies have a billing period of 28 days for a month even though most months last longer than 28 days

so basically - and I'm guessing here - is that the texts are scheduled to go out on the 28th day of each month

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

More than likely you receive the text reminding you to top again - 'early' as you say is because most companies have a billing period of 28 days for a month even though most months last longer than 28 days

The four week/28 day period starts from your most recent top up. They seem to send you the message on the 25th day telling you that you must top up in order to keep your free text messages. The fact that they are saying now three days early and not specifying in the message that the 28 days do in fact end in 3 days time.

My problem is that they are actually telling you that you have to top up three days early!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Personally I don't see why everyone doesn't change. The free messages thing is brilliant. I can't count the days when I've sent well over 100 messages to friends and it hasen't cost me a cent.

It is slightly annoying I suppose that they don't tell you exactly when your free messages are gonna run out. I got the warning message a few hours ago but I dunno when they are exactly gonna start charging me.

I don't find it a problem though. I still have e16 credit, and I should be receiving my free e10 credit in the next day or 2. When my free messages run out, I'll just keep going till my credit runs out. It's still only 9c a message, which is a hell of alot cheaper than I used to be charged by Vodafone. :D

People do seem to have an inbuilt distrust of Meteor I've noticed. Dunno why exactly. Even if you don't know anyone with a meteor phone, they're still cheaper than the other networks. I say make the change, you won't be sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

They shoul integrate it into their website

M

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

When I topped up by 20 Euro, firstly they sent me a text stating exactly the date that the free texts would expire and then they sent me the warning text 3 days earlier than the expiry date - I thought it was a good service and am v happy with Meteor.
    I was paying 40 plus every month postpaid with O2 and now I pay only 20 per month RTG with Meteor so imo Meteor are good value indeed and if you go postpay with Meteor you do get many more minutes than the other two networks for the same monthly rental.
    I'd have to agree with Fungus as I save about 50% per month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I switched a month ago. I love meteor! I always thought that meteor was crap
    from word of mouth but its fantastic. I'm saving so much.

My Meteor tip!

1. Everytime you are topping up by €20 ...... don't!
    2. Buy a meteor sim pack that comes with €20 credit.
    3. Use the credit and give your sim pack to a friend for free.
    4. I've discovered that people are more willing to switch over if the sim card is put in their hands and its free.

I'm slowly switching my friends over, the more I switch the more I save!

Advertisement