Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE's top earners - figures published

• 02-05-2004 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

From the Tribune today here they are for the Year 2000. The paper also published figures for 1998 and 1999. Gay Byrne was top in 1998 with 492,457. Interestingly, Gerry Ryan was on 315,954 in 98. He must be finding it hard to get by on 1/4 mill now.

Year 2000
    Pat Kenny 517,234
    Gerry Ryan 255,474
    Marian Finucane 255,228
    Gay Byrne 226,768
    Dave Fanning 197,622
    Mike Murphy 156,833
    Miriam O Callaghan 148,116
    Charlie Bird 146,855
    Eamon Dunphy 130,376
    George Hamilton 119,438
    Joe Duggy 119,039
    Johnny Giles 107,739
    Bill O'Herlihy 106,334
    Myles Dungan 100,113
    John Kelly 96,936
    Vincent Browne 90,746
    Bryan Dobson 90,429
    George Lee 89,902
    Brian O Connell 87,546
    David Hanly 86,901

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Marian Finucane 255,228

Joe Duffy 119,039

If I were Dufy I'd be a little pissed-off at my pay. Maid Marian works the same hours....

Eamon Dunphy 130,376

Mucho money for old rope!

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

so this is 2000? I wonder what 'inflation' has done to their wages since then... I imagine its bumped them up afew grand.

Pat Kenny, 1/2 a mil?? I heard his radio show is good, but his wages should be docked for The Late Late Show, its an atrocity.

Flogen

Originally posted by flogen

Pat Kenny, 1/2 a mil?? I heard his radio show is good, but his wages should be docked for The Late Late Show, its an atrocity.

Flogen
    Agreed, it's gone downhill since dunphys show ended imho.
    Half a million, how can that be justified in 2000 and theres talk on the radio today that this figure is close to one million now.
    The bosses in RTÉ must be lilly livered, where could the likes of Kenny possibly go? he wouldn't get a million off TV3 in a hurry.
    He might go abroad, but then Divil a small loss, theres plenty of good talent on the local stations who'd be glad to take over his radio show for less than a 100K

well said earthman, the late late show needs a serious facelift or its gonna die within the coming years, and there are many many people who could carry it better than Kenny (Infact, Gerry Kelly from UTV is an excellent interviewer IMO, and would be much better than Plank Kenny.. the difference is Kelly actually makes you believe that he cares about what hes talking about).

as for radio, there are numerous people who can work for a hell of alot less and do as good or a better job... Its a joke when RTE wont pay for Irish int. games or good homegrown shows but they will pump these half-wits full of cash to do a mediocre job.

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

It is no wonder RTE lost €5 million last year after a massive licence fee hike.

Public Service Broadcaster? I wonder - how the public is being served by paying music and talk DJs massive amounts of money.

• Advertisement

how the public is being served by paying music and talk DJs massive amounts of money.

well in fairness Cork, they are doing a good job at serving them.... staff at RTE are part of the public too :P

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

But RTE is lost €5 million last year.

RTE seriously needs to become more efficent.

yeah, it was a joke (they are doing a service for themselves)

they are in a state alright, and some clever budgeting would solve that, along with some efficiency. It would also give us the money to make some Irish dramas and so on rather than relying on US/UK throw offs.

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Good point by Earthman - where would the likes of Pat Kenny go in Ireland. I know they bring in big viewership and advertising is then at a premium but still 1/2 million for that piece of wood is over the top.

The audience is there already and if the Late Late were to be axed tomorrow and a new, fresh face installed at a fraction of the cost, I guarantee there would still be enough viewers to command the same advertising premium.

Considering these figures are 4 years out of date, I'm guessing they are all on more now.

Isn't it amazing also the way RTE had to be dragged into releasing this information. They kept saying for years that it was "commercially sensitive"... what a load of nonsense.

Wonder will Pat, Marian and Joe be discussing the news on their respective shows on Tuesday? lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by alleepally

Wonder will Pat, Marian and Joe be discussing the news on their respective shows on Tuesday? lol.

Joe may have to being on a phone-in show.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Here's the salary bands for the mere mortals at RTE

http://www.rte.ie/about/organisation/releases/salary_scales.html

Advertisement