Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When it all Started

Options
  • 02-05-2004 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Can anyone remember when they first started to love this music? i Can My mate woh detested rap music came to me when he heard i liked it and told me to buy a metallica album I agreed and bought masters of puppets. The first song battery is the one i turned on first and i was hooked forever on... Plesse ppl tell your stories

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

i always liked nirvana from when i was about 8 or 9 so that got me into it i supose, never liked pop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

when i was about 12 or so i bought the offspring's americana i ve been hooked to rock music ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Since I was 8/9, System of a Down was a big fav of mine, then I started to get into it more around 10/11 now I'm 14 listening to gynormous ranges of metal from many parts of the world...I know it may not seem much but compared to other kids my age its well out of the ordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

when i was 11 or 12 i heard creed on wrestling, i really liked them, so i bought one of their albums, they got me into rock. Im almost 17 now and im into all kinds of metal/rock all because i happened to watch wrestling at the time. Im just glad i dont listen to robbie williams anymore *buries head under pillow*

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

My first rock album was Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast. A mate of mine was big into Rock at the time, and introduced me to Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Probably from my parents... I grew up with the likes of Queen and all, then discovered Metallica at a rather young age, maybe 8 or 9? Pretty much went downhill from there, so to speak.

Extreme metal wise, probably Cradle Of Filth's album "Dusk And Her Imbrace" around '97.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i think maybe metallica's re-load album

or whenever i saw anthrax on married with children.. whichever came first

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Used to listen to old Black Sabbath vinyls in my room as a kid, they really fascinated me. Always knew the songs of all these metal bands, but could never really say anything about them until I gave Metallica a proper listen. Then I just sort of started remembering songs and listening to more and more metal, aswell as loads of other kinds of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I heard Iron Maiden's tracks on the Carmageddon 2 CD and decided I'd been listening to crap music for years. Never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Was really into the Beatles and Queen and stuff at the age of 10/11, and spent years being incredibly uncool in school (none of which I reget, **** them), but at age 15, I was made do a presentation on Heavy Metal music (everyone was doing a topic and given Heavy Metal, or I could be a Bowie fan by now). The guy I was doing it with had a vague idea of metal, and introduced me to a band named Motorhead.

This all occured at the time of the rise of Napster and the flames were fuelled. I bought an MP3 player and started listening to Metal. Can't really remember what I started listening to though, Motorhead aside, I remember building up enough metal to fill a whole CDR, and then I started buying the contents of my CD at wherever I could find it cheapest. Tastes diversified, and things went from there. The upshot is I acquired quite a lot of classic CDs (like RATM) or records on vinyl (like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath) without even realising they were classics when I got them.

*edit*
    I just dug up my Napster CD there, and discovered it wasn't the classic CD I'd imagined. It's got Maiden, Sabbath, Motorhead along with some lighter classics like Dexy's Midnight Runners, Garbage and Divine Comedy. And it's got some tripe, like Basement Jaxx and (cringe) The Vengaboys. But that's where I started, ugly as it is. DAMN YOU VERBATIM LONGLIFE CDRS!

Also reminded me of my other music source, Letterkenny library has some excellent rock CDs, including a substantial collection of Metallica, Judas Priest, Sabbath and Maiden. I rented them all, listened to them on loop for about a week, and returned, only to renew them about 3 weeks la

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Heard a guy mention a band called 'In Flames' on a TFC server one day (half-life :)) went onto kazaa, got most of the colony album and a good bit of Lunar Strain, never looked back :)
    (from no music straight to in flames, great step to take tbh ;))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I still can't understand the concept of 'no music' in your life

I've been listening to music of some kind for as long as I can remember..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Was at a group guitar lesson and a guy I knew started playing Polly as I spewed out some Oasis drivel. I knew of Nirvana but always thought of them as suicidal maniacs. He gave me a lend of a Nirvana Bootleg and Mellon Collie...My life changed :) Some melody maker review mentioned Nirvana in a blink182 review so I went bought them....nothing special but soon afterwards, I saw Pennywise and Rancid namechecked in some other review...went out and bought Rancid's self titled and Pennywise's "straight ahead" on the same day. Been mostly listening to hardcore punk ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Think first bands that got me into rock was The Offspring's Americana album which my friend played for me, or either Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit, or Metallica's Enter Sandman. This was when I was around 10 or so.
    Don't really like Nirvana that much, but they helped me :) .
    Still listen to The Offspring now. Got 3 of their albums.

Later on, I went to a different friend's house and his brother played System of a Down. Loved them since, and have all their albums.

Then I shared what music I had with my friends, and they shared theirs.

Got into Rage Against The Machine. Megadeth. Deftones. And many others.

I'm getting into more punk and other 'types' of rock since then. I'm now 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Used to listen to Queen and U2 as a kid and have great memories of watching music videos like Therapy? - Diane, and Metallica - Until It Sleeps when I was younger. But it was probably my sister and cousins listening to metal that got me into it.

My first real "rock" cd was Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation which was a present from a cousin (before I'd had a few queen and u2 tapes). After that I dove straight for Maiden and Metallica and bought and bought and bought...

Nowadays I'm kinda more into blues stuff (or at least for now), but I keep digging through the ol' metal collection when I'm in the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Mordeth
    I still can't understand the concept of 'no music' in your life

I've been listening to music of some kind for as long as I can remember..
    Not no music, just I followed none, or particularly enjoyed any of what I heard, as all i had was the radio, and I only listened to it in the car out of boredom, which is why I went and got everything I could from the first band I heard of on-line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

remember getting our first real pc which had windows 95 on it and it came with the windows95 cd and that had the weezer - buddy holly video on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Sefrian

WOW my first thread is at the top thanks guys sum kool memories of albums i love there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

3rd year. I think. When ever amen supported morbid angel. Was trying out different styles of music just to see what i liked. Don't now how it started, got machine head - burn my eyes. loved, got all their albums.
    Then i got the haunted made me do it. That is still my favorite album. Then i went through a nothing but death metal stage, and then went off it. That was due to the fact that most of the good death metal bands are the popular ones. My friend got some seriosly dodgey **** off some guy. I swear he just buys cd for the sake of buying them, he owns about 5000 (five thousand) DM cd's between himself, his brother, and a friend. A lot of it is pure crap. Also, i was working nights in a shop, and a friend was playing Queens of the stone age and audioslave and that type of stuff, and it stuck in my head and i stopped listening to DM then. Kinda rediscovering it now. Six Feet Under - Grayeyard Classics, is an album i love. Was in at some acoustic thing tonight, they were playing stepping stone, and i was like, i know that song, and i then i realised i have chris barnes version at home.

Found 3D glasses in my pocket. WTF.

So i'm listening to lot more varied stuff now. Thrash, DM and lighter also, like AS and QOTSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Burn My Eyes is an excellent album.

Machine Head are playing Mandella Hall Belfast on June 2nd. It's a small venue, there are still tickets (and they're cheap) and it'll be a brilliant gig.

www.qubsu-ents.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It is briallant. My first metal album. gateways to annihilation (sp) was another early one. and the bleeding by CC. I think the title track of the bleeding is sexy, and thats the only time i've ever described a song like that. It was just mesmerising to watch when they played the TBMC a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Got interested in the videos from Whitesnake's 1987 album which were doing the rounds at the time (anyone remember the chick sprawled over the bonnet of the Jag?). Got into more rock bands like AC/DC and less salubrious acts like Motley Crue. Then on the 10th of May 1988 I went to the Olympic Ballroom off Camden Street to see Megadeth, supported by Sanctuary (two of whom would later go on to form Nevermore). That was the clincher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

got a lend of a tape of dookie when i was about 10.

that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

When i was about 11/12 heard some ministry, think it was..... the song theives, then i got the psalm 69 album, ive been hooked ever since

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

I grew up listening to jeff buckley and Bon jovi my two icons.
    I was around 9 or 10 years old.
    i just felt that whenever i listened to music it would make me feel happy when i'm down

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Bout 5 or 6 watching Headbangers ball with my cousin. I was really big into Metallica, Guns 'n' Roses and Pantera back then. It was 95 or 96 when I got into the likes of Morbid Angel after I saw them on Beavis and Butthead I think it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

Originally posted by Doctor J
    Got interested in the videos from Whitesnake's 1987 album which were doing the rounds at the time (anyone remember the chick sprawled over the bonnet of the Jag?).

oh yes.. i remember her.. had my hair like hers ha ha (only bit of me like her).. she was my idol :D

loved whitesnake, bon jovi, journey, aerosmith and queen.. never music at home cept for brendan boyer :rolleyes:
    so was always round my older cousins.. using them for their 'tapes' - sheesh, i'm old:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ahhhhhh you can't beat big hair ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

Originally posted by Doctor J
    Ahhhhhh you can't beat big hair ;)

def.. brilliant.. was proud owner of biker jacket with denim one over it with no sleeves and loads of patches sewn on.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Ameirgin

Hmmm....grew up listening to Cream, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Aerosmith, Status Quo and the like, because my Dad likes 'em all. First album I ever bought was a compilation which came out in 1980 (yes, I am that old! ) called "Axe Attack" (I still have the original vinyl). On this LP was a track by a new band called Iron Maiden - the song was "Running Free". Pure class :D

I listened to as many rock/metal bands as I could during the 80's - Motley Crue, Ratt, Whitesnake, Twisted Sister, Manowar, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead etc. I had the long hair and the sleeveless denim (embroidered with logos - no patches) over the biker jacket. I remember a mate of mine coming back from a holiday in California with a demo tape he had picked up of a new American band - Metallica! This was about 6 months or so before the release of the "Kill 'Em All" album. By the late 80's, I had started to go to gigs - I remember the first time that Metallica played in Ireland (supported by Anthrax) on the "Master of Puppets" tour.

Great times, great bands, great songs.

Advertisement