Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When it all Started

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bluedog

I remember listening to music since i can...remember, but only really got into stuff when i found my dad's best of clapton cd about 10 yrs ago, then me and a mate of mine dowloaded a couple of Zep songs (Stairway and Immigrant song) and then i bought the Early Days......haven't looked back since....

Those two illegal files from Napster have introduced me to all types of blues/Cream/Santana/Deep Purple/Sabbath/Rory Gallagher/GNR/jazz/all guitar music/.....the list is endless and is continuing and i've prob spent hundreds and hundreds as a result.

Where would i be without Napster? Who knows? But i'd porb be listening to some crap or the other and not welcome in this forum for sure.

:rolleyes:

B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Ah, I listened to alot of modern punk when I was young, about 12. My favourite bands were the "big three"; blink-182, Green Day and The Offspring. But by the time I had all their albums and listened to all their songs, I was stuck in a rut. Punk just wasn't appealing to me anymore, especially with all the comparably mudane punk bands at the time (and, of course, I hadn't heard of The Clash, The Ramones, X, etc.).

So I left punk behind, started listening to alternative rock bands like Nirvana and The Smashing Pumpkins. Big sprawl after that, don't know what happened or how I got here.

I really have to thank Napster and the internet for opening the door to me. They were truely great days to grow up to music with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Same about the Napster thing, see my massive post further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

When I was about 12 or 13 my dad bought me a metallica album for christmas. I remember not liking it at first but metal soon grew on me. Me parents were big 'sabbath heads as well, so i started to get interested in Black Sabbath when I realised it wasn't boring old parents ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

When I was 13 I got my hands on Metallica Ride the lightning. Then on to slayer, Sepultura, Machine head, and Ministry (my Favourite). I listen to anything now from Specials thru Depeche mode, Cure, Deicide, etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭the cat

When i was 11, when i heard my neighbour playing nirvana.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

1993, siamese dream, the majestic sound of the electroharmonix bigg muff - sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

My dad was the one who got me into it. When I was younger Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Horslips, Santana and Eric Clapton were always playing around the house, so I liked it from when I was a toddler. Then my old childminder's son got me into more modern bands like Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Metallica, SOAD etc., and it progressed from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

For me it was Guns 'n Roses - Appetite for destruction.
    then it was onto zeppelin and from there into all sorts of stuff from benediction to leonard Cohen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I havent been listening to Metal/Rock for long, since Im only 15 but I first learned to love it two summers ago when I was in Spain and met up with a guy from Dublin.

He was listening to Metallica - Fade to Black, and I loved it, he also had the tape of GNR Sweet Child O Mine.

So I got two birds with one stone, and I still listen to their music but moved on to more stuff :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

When I was 13 (16 now) I was turning into a bit of a skanger. I liked rap like Eminem and stuff and was watching MTV one day when Papa Roach's "Last Resort" came on. Immediately I thought "why do I listen to that other ****e when I can listen to this??"

Since then I've been a fan of bands from Metallica to Muse to Slayer.

Thank God for Papa Roach. I'd probably be a skanger now if it weren't for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

It was first year in secondary school, i never listened to music before then unless the radio was on. I sat next to this guy who became my best friend up until 3rd year when he got mixed up with drugs and just left school. He asked me one day what music i liked, i told him i didnt listen to much music, next day he brought in a cd wallet full of cds and said take these home listen to them and come back to me. Nirvana, Pumpkins, Pixies, Metallica, Maiden, Ozzy,Deftones etc....Id never heard music like it before,so i took up the guitar soon after as well and i never looked back! Nice guy that fella.... i still wonder what hes up to :dunno:

Advertisement