Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Team Will Cope With Relegation Best/Worst?

• 02-05-2004 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Well we know know the 3 going down - Leeds Leicester and Wolves. How will each club respond to the loss of income and which will be most likely to bounce back quickly.

For me Leeds is in real trouble. Off then pitch thier finances are woeful but on the pitch attitude and application to the cause is severly lacking. One supposes they'll have to have a fire sale of the famous names but would you buy Viduka?

Leicester did very well just to get back into the big time but they never got to grips with the quality gap between Premiership and Nationwide. They're finances are better than Leeds (thanks to a dubious restucturing of debt) but fresh investment money will be scant. The team consists of hardy veterans/journeymen and younsters
    the old heads may well retire or be sold....

Wolves I think have the brightest chance of recovery next season. They have no debt thanks to Sir Jack and in Henri Camera/Carl Cort they have an attack of real promise (just a pity it did'nt click a bit earlier). The defence is in trouble but with Lescott due to return next season and new boy Okoronkwo looking good things should get better...

So my prediction - Wolves to return if they keep the top players, Leicester unlikely to return, Leeds the same and in danger of falling through the divisons...

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Agreed with most of that Leicester are a yo-yo team and will probably come straight back up.

It took Wolves a long time to get promoted so a play-off place for them probably

Leeds are fecked and will be targeted and kicked to death by all the cloggers in division one.

Top of the division should be very tight next season with a lot of very good teams

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Agreed, Leicester's team is really aging though, I think they may find it difficult in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Leicster are likely to loose key players at the end of the season. Ferdinand will probably retire and Dickov and Izzet will be snapped up by other clubs. they do not have the resources to bring in quality players.

There is still a doubt over the future of leeds united football club yes the will be playing in division 1 next season but can they overcome administration. the 10 million revenue windfall from the premiership will not help the financial sitauation

Wolves shouldnt do too bad. they`ll keep their set of players for the most part. they are my favourites for automatic promotion in 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

hopefully the cheating feaster wont be able to bounce back this time

wolves would be my favourites to be best able to cope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Leeds are fecked, if they go into Administration (99% likely) they'll be docked 10 points for the start of next season and most if not all they're players will be sold for a pittance to get their wages of the books.

Relegation from the first division is more likely then anything else, that's if the club doesn't fold completly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Leicster and Leeds have no money and will lose most of their squads. Plus if they go into administration they will be docked points. On the other hand Wolves look like they might keep most of their players next season(except Rae) and look to have no financial problems(relatively). With Dave Jones at the helm I expect them to be promoted next season, along with Nottingham Forest(wiley old JK)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

wolves...

with camera and cort hitting form, and lescott back this season (who i think would have kept them in the prem) they might sneak an automatic spot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Wolves - automatic promotion (or playoffs if they lose Camara)

Leicester - playoffs, but only if they keep their manager.

Leeds - haven't got a clue! - if they got Strachan and don't go into admin, they could conceivable sneak a playoff place, but I doubt it.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Best: Wolves... As long as they don't lose any of their star players I can see them easing through Div 1. Leicester will lose alot of their players so I think they will just make the playoffs and no more.

Worst: Leeds, they have little experience of the first division and are losing nearly all of their players with no money to spend on new players. I can see them struggling to beat the likes of Plymouth and Crewe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

I think Wolves will be the ones to cope with it better than the other 2 although I do hate to say it as being a Norwich supporter we hate them. Leicester and Leeds will find it very hard although the foxes do know what to expect down there. Leeds - well I can't see them winning automatic promotion and to be honest I don't expect them to get a play off place. The 1st division is a league where anyone on their day can beat the top teams. Of course being a Norwich supporter I dont need to worry bout that coz we are premier league!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by kensutz
    I think Wolves will be the ones to cope with it better than the other 2 although I do hate to say it as being a Norwich supporter we hate them.

...and we hate you! :D

Of course being a Norwich supporter I dont need to worry bout that coz we are premier league!!!!

What about Iwan Roberts (ex Wolves of course!) getting the heave-ho? Bloody scandal I'd say. He should have got a chance to play in the Premiership.

Mike.

you only hate us since we beat you in the play off semi's. Iwan will be a big loss, he's a legend here at Norwich and I cried on Saturday. Carrow Road was mad never seen so much yellow and green since the play off final at Cardiff. He has 94 goals for Norwich and it would've been brilliant for him to get 100 even if he reached it next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

whats this craic bout iverson talking to a club who "are goin to be in the premiership" surely he cant be talking bout joining WBA, that rivalry between wolves & WBA is fierce!! like liverppol & everton fierce!! they wouldnt welcome him!

anyway it looks like wolves ARE going to loose him

correct me if i'm wrong, but did camera play in the african nations??!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by VinnyL
    whats this craic bout iverson talking to a club who "are goin to be in the premiership" surely he cant be talking bout joining WBA, that rivalry between wolves & WBA is fierce!! like liverppol & everton fierce!! they wouldnt welcome him!

anyway it looks like wolves ARE going to loose him

correct me if i'm wrong, but did camera play in the african nations??!?

Camera was playing the ANC sadly(!) and Iverson would be no loss even to the Baggies who Wolves nicked Steve Bull from :D

Mike.

It's Norwich who he's talking to according to www.canarycorner.com Shota Arveladze is also rumored to be wanting to join us. Not that I would want him there.

Advertisement